Hardly Anyone Posts Here

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
No one really posts on the dutasteride. sections of other forums as well. When I first came here well over a year ago, I rarely, if ever, posted. Now it seems half the postings here are mine. And I'm not even really having side effects or anything that would necessitate me being one of the posters who comes here because they're having problems. It just seems to me that maybe dutasteride. works really well, in accordance with the "medicalwellness" testimonials on hairsite.com. As such, no one really posts here.

I know it's common sense, but I'm just wondering about dutasteride's effectiveness. Seeing that my bald spot got bigger while on Propecia. for a year. i've been on dutasteride for 2.5 months, and am shedding, but am also stopping minoxidil, so I can't tell what's what. I'm just praying that my bald spot closes with dutasteride. alone. My hair has gotten straighter in the last x months, which isn't a good sign, and all I can tell about the dutasteride is that I have those small vellus hairs a little bit before the hairline. the ones many people get. say 8 of them.

thing is, if Propecia. maintains hair for 80-something percent of men (which i highly doubt), i'm wondering what kind of percentage dutasteride offers?

i really wish i could go back on minoxidil, but it sped up my heartbeat, even with half the dose. maybe 2% is an option, as every little bit helps. i didn't think it did much for my hair, but it definitely thickened up my body hair. i'm scared that i'm shedding minoxidil hair right now, and haven't even begun my dutasteride. shed. a massive one would be a nightmare.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Keep me posted on how your dutasteride shed is. I suspect that we should both be getting our dutasteride sheds at their worst at the 3-month mark. What do you think?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
This whole process is so drawn out that it doesn't lend itself to a continual discourse, so it's often hard to know what to say for fear of constant repetition - and like David Byrne said:

When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again?

Slarti

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
i don't know if a shed comes at the three month mark. a lot of people say they were doing great, and then yeah, it hit, but slarti, for example, had his hit at 6 months. i don't know what i would do, because i'm shedding already, probably from minoxidil. but i wonder when that will be over, or if part of it is because of the dutasteride. the skin on my hands is seriously dry, and it's not just because of the weather. my red acne marks aren't going away, other scars aren't healing as fast.

i cut myself shaving, a cut that should have healed in three days, and there's almost like a hickey type scar that's been in its place for a month now.

i just don't want to be one of those people that a) doesn't respond, or b) has one of those sheds they never recover from. yeah, it's hair you would've lost, but at least it would have been gradual, saving the trauma.

question is, does anyone know if people had those fine hairs growing a little bit in front of the hairline, then have shed and never recovered? because i have to think it's working. i mean...it's at least proof that i'm not using fake stuff, but i'm curious of people have gotten those hairs, then gone straight downhill from there.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
harey said:
the skin on my hands is seriously dry, and it's not just because of the weather. my red acne marks aren't going away, other scars aren't healing as fast.
I had lots of winters the same problem with dry skin, especially the hands. This year i found my solution:

- taking 30mg zinc every day
Helped against the acne, the acne is still there but weak; this could help you that your skin can regenerate faster

- 2x/week take a bath: http://www.sirius-produkte.de/cgi-bin/m ... konzentrat

I dont know how to translate but this bath helped me a lot againgst my dry skin! My hands need now NO creme and the are not dry but beautiful!

BUT: i dont take dutasteride yet, but finasteride.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
At present I am getting some regrowth with proscar on UK normal prescription, which I get free, so I am waiting until Dutasteride is also available on prescription. Don't know if this is likely though.
I haven't experienced a "shed", perhaps a vellus shed, but that is hard to say. I do alot of other stuff to support the "anti dht" thing.
Boru

pat22

Reaction score
random acne question

Hi everyone

Just a sort of random question but I've noticed that my acne (mostly on forehead) has gotten a lot worse recently. Also scars are taking much longer to heal than they used to. Is this all associated with hairloss?

thanks

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
harey said:
I know it's common sense, but I'm just wondering about dutasteride's effectiveness. Seeing that my bald spot got bigger while on Propecia. for a year. i've been on dutasteride for 2.5 months, and am shedding, but am also stopping minoxidil, so I can't tell what's what. I'm just praying that my bald spot closes with dutasteride. alone.
Having to stop minoxidil is obviously going to complicate any assessment of dutasteride, but at least you can take some comfort that both oni and I (him on generic, me on genuine) have had great results at the crown - just got to stick it out through any shedding and the long months of recovery that follow.

harey said:
My hair has gotten straighter in the last x months, which isn't a good sign, and all I can tell about the dutasteride is that I have those small vellus hairs a little bit before the hairline. the ones many people get. say 8 of them.
My hair's actually getting more of a wave in it again, a process that had been getting into its stride before my dutasteride shed kicked in, and I'm remembering how irritating it used to be that around the crown my hair refused to lay neatly once it was even a few inches long - something which is now a delight to see. Even at the front, the hairs that remain (way too few in the first half inch) have a bit more of a curl to them and there's definite, on-going improvement in the area directly behind them - and that's after 16 months.

Slarti

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks slarti. those comments really help.

as for the other ones. it doesn't help when you're a newbie with 4 or 13 posts, and you're like, this is what helped for my dry skin! (i'm sure it did help, and i'll try it, but it doesn't help when you throw in -- "i'm on finasteride. right now." well, no offense, but posting in the dutasteride. forum, talking about someone else's sides when you're on finasteride....it's kinda silly.)

but whatever. it's just sort of funny when i'm reading about two guys getting really intense about 5-AR's or some crap I don't understand, but then a third party jumps in with, "i'm shedding! does this mean i'm doomed???"

do your proper research on the forums, that's all.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
@harey: i dont think your dry skin comes from dutasteride! I think you have some lack of some stuff. Try zinc at least. I only wanted to help you...[/url]

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
i will try the zinc; thanks, but the dry skin is absolutely being caused by dutasteride.

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
With my hair short, and brushed forward, even under the 'spotlight', for want of another word, in the bathroom my crown and midsection looks thick. Granted probably due to scraping it forward but still.

Fringe getting thinner anyway, and receeding, with no sign of regrowth sadly. Again when cut shorter it looks better but the regression (or V-ification if you will!) continues. Wet still is passable, merely highlighting the real regression and thinning compared to the back and sides.

I go between wanting to throw my hands up in despair or shurgging and saying "give it another few months". But by the sounds of it, don't we all?!

PS Interestingly noticed today, after using Nizoral, a faint red mottling of my scalp hair in my frontal hair area and further back on my scalp. It certainly was where I'd used it moments before and it usually slightly dries my scalp.
mind you, I've seen it before so I'm looking into

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
WiseJoeyD said:
mind you, I've seen it before so I'm looking into
an abyss? a crystal ball? the eyes of a tiger? buying a small grey cockatiel? What were you about to say, you madman, and it'd better not be something dull like "it".

Slarti

ps. what month are you up to now? my memory guesstimates twelve or thirteen-ish.

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
Five Hairs And It

Meant to come back here but just as I resign myself to bed remember I forgot (semantics!) to check here.

Yes. Twice.

-It was "it". With that level of inspiration, I feel a need to cover some Star Wars backstory (zing!)

-It is nearly 12 months.... or infact I think it is one full year!

Hurrahs.

As reported though, worse overall than even early summer since I remember then, cutting my hair shorter, and being sort of pleased with my hairline and now it's sort of this outcropping...!

Hey, on a proactive note I was thinking about some topical/shampoo stuff like spironolactone or Tricomin. How's that stuff?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Don't say I didn't warn you about this, because I quite clearly said:

Slartibartfast said:
...it'd better not be something dull like "it".

And there you go telling me it was "it" after all. All I can say is you'd better watch out, I'm mad as hell and I(don't)know where you live.

Not sure about spironolactone or tricomin, I'm holding off on adding anything else for a while longer yet. Have a mosey on over to the erm... hair loss treatment section, I guess, unless you want my completely un-informed opinion. Though as somebody famous once said: "it's better to be un-informed than ill-informed", at least I think that's the quote.

Slarti

WiseJoeyD

Reaction score
I must have been gone a fair bit cos I come back, check some of the guides for any changes and Tricomin is now added to proven treatments!
In my day(!) it was still on the "caveat emptor" list for peple who wanted to have something topical to apply.

My itching scalp tells me "do something you fool!". This week I'll have a good look at stuff here; I get a day off (for a driving test... sh*t! who was it said stress increases shedding?!) so during the morning I'll have a browse

I also remembered the vital piece of info that I wolfed down one last month of propecia that was lying about alongside avodart. In hindsight it seems *pretty* random but I'm sure it seemed a good idea at the time! That may have speeded V-ification ... or.... not

[90% of hair loss judgements are similarly on-the-fence!]