Happy With System, Unhappy With Hair Cut

Mbow10

My Regimen
Reaction score
This has been talked about a hundred times on this site but I have a question about what to do with thin sides.

I'm about 2 1/2 years into wearing. Things have been pretty good and I'm starting to get the DIY maintence down better and better. The salon I go to is great. There are 3 people that work there, the owner and two girls. I've pretty much went to the 1 girl my entire time as the my schedule doesnt match up with the others.
Anyway, my main issue is how she does my sides and back. I wear a crown topper, thin up front but no system there yet. The rest is my natural hair. All I've ever wanted is a fade or taper it short on the sides, real close at the bottom of my neck type of hair cut. I honestly think its the differece between between making me look real unkempt, and having a great hair cut.

Instead of taking the clippers with a 2 guard or whatever and fading the sides and back up, she cuts it thru a comb. Like lifts some hair with a comb, then cuts the hair that sticks out with clippers. She does that all the way around even when I ask to have a fade. What ends up happening is I have the same length and density all the way around my head and it just doesn't look good. I'm wondering if what I'm asking her just isnt possible if my sides are thinner than I thought. I just want something like the below picture. Due to a schedule change, I had to go to the other girl for the first time, I was nervous but she did it perfect. Kept changing guards and blending it in all the way up. I told myself to take a picture for next time but I forgot.
My reg girl even said at my next haircut that she can see how she did it, so I figured she'd follow the path, but she went right back to just trimming it with the clippers thru the comb.

I understand I'm paying the money I need to get what I want, but it would just be way too awkward after 2 years to be like, yeah I don't want to be your client anymore. Esp at a business with only 3 ppl. I just don't know how to convey to her how I want this done. I'm really frustrated because it'll all thats holding me back from really liking my hair. It looks clean, professional. And the other way I kind of look like a kid who got a bad haircut from his mom. Even with thin sides, I get cowlicks on the sides and back that won't go away and it looks really bad.
How can I convey that I just want something like this?

cdb79cac3e55ed4f7bf39fd06f0e1efa.jpg
Best-Taper-Haircuts.jpg

Bastien

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it not possible to get the hair system put on by them and then doing your fade to a normal hairdresser?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don't you just be honest and communicate to her exactly what sort of haircut you want, and also take the picture in and show her it so that she can see exactly what you're looking for? I don't see what the issue is really.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it not possible to get the hair system put on by them and then doing your fade to a normal hairdresser?

Agreed. I always install my systems. I've used Great Clips for the last year, mainly because I've been using the same stylist for many years before the system. $15 for the haircut and I tip her 100%.

It's really not as big of a deal as people make it. As long as they know where the edge of the system is they can be sure to keep it long enough To cover the edges. That's really all that matters..... Of course not going ridiculously short all over... exposing the base either.

At 39 I've had many haircuts in my life. For over a decade I used to pay $175+ in New York .... pre-hair piece and had Unsatisfactory haircuts from time to time at that price as well as Great Haircuts other times. I've also had many Stellar haircuts at $15.... And some not so steller.

Expensive doesn't mean good and inexpensive doesn't mean bad.

My opinion on the matter is when I go to a stuffy salon and pay. Over $200 with Tip...they act like they're doing you a favor and very frou-frou. If you go to a chain or average place and tip 100%, believe me you're buying a lot of loyalty and they will go above and beyond to make sure you're happy.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's your money, and it's your hair. I don't get people who are loyal to businesses that don't do good work. I see it here all the time "my barber fucked up my beard, again, etc".

The "fade" needs to happen on your bio hair and I usually do it with the system OFF. You can go to any good barber who does fades can do this with the system on, as long as they clip the hair UP, so they can see the line.