Hairmax Lasercomb

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed a bit on this site, but I couldn't find any thorough discussion of it.

First, are there links to the actual FDA studies that Hairmax conducted? The unit is FDA approved for hair thickening/health, although not (yet?) for hair loss per se. However, since many of us would like to thicken our hair to at least hide the effects of hair loss, this seems to be a benefit.

Second, why have very few people here tried this device? I know it's expensive, but I just got one for $513 (including shipping) on Ebay, and if you're willing to be a last-second sniper, you can probably get one for less. Yes, that's a signficant chunk of change, but compared to years of minoxidil and propecia, it's a drop in the bucket.

Third, why do most people dismiss this device out of hand? Granted, I did too at first, because it just seems, well, goofy, but there is pretty clear evidence now that it is good for the health of hair, that it provides at least cosmetic benefits (and that's what we're really talking about anyway when we talk about combatting hair loss, cosmetic benefits), and so why do so few people appear to take it seriously?

Fourth, has anyone here tried it for more than a few months? If so, what were your results?

BTW, I posted this here rather than in the "unproven" section because this device has received FDA approval related to improving hair if not for hair growth. So there is proof of its benefits, although so far the proven benefits are limited, i.e., don't include hair regrowth. Still, Hairmax believes that the FDA trials for regrowth will be positive, which means they have some evidence that leads them to think this. Snake oil hawkers don't spend millions of $$ on FDA tests. That doesn't mean this thing works for regrowth, only that this is correct forum to post these questions (anticipating forum Nazis).

muii

Established Member
Reaction score
i tried it for over 3 months...
i would of gotten better results using pointing a flashlight on my head.....dont get your hopes up for much....sorry

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
VICCI said:
i tried it for over 3 months...
i would of gotten better results using pointing a flashlight on my head.....dont get your hopes up for much....sorry

flashlight you say..................................hmm, i think i might go and get a maglite this weekend

Style

Reaction score
wouldnt this enforce the idea that sunlight is good for your hair instead of bad for it?

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using it for going on 12 months. I haven't noticed any regrowth but I have had maintance using it along with spironolactone.

There's a lot of good evidence supporting the LC but I haven't seen a lot of benefit for myself. It's worth a try I guess, considering it's a one time purchase with no side effects.

Make sure to use it 3x/week.

Headache

Reaction score
I tried it for 1 year...

My wife brought me one for Christmas a couple of years ago because she knew my hair loss was bothering me. I gave it the ole' college try for 1 year and followed the directions exactly. I really didn't see any postive or negative results. I gave it up and went on the Big 3.

Maybe it does work for some people, but I think most people agree that Propecia and Rogaine are probably a better bet than a pointing a laser at your head.

Good Luck though...

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm using dutasteride, minoxidil and Nizoral in addition to the Lasercomb. So if I get good results, I will have no idea which product caused them. Of course, it's entirely possible that the results could be caused by a synergistic effect, that none of those treatments would have been effective by themselves for me. Or none may work, who knows.

One strange thing I have noticed. I have used the Lasercomb three times so far, for about 15 minutes each time, following the instructions. The second and third time, my hair looked much better and was more manageable directly after I used it. This morning I washed my hair and blow dryed it. I thought to myself, "Hmm . . . doesn't look too good today, bad hair day." This was a Lasercomb scheduled day, so I used it, and when I was finished, my hair looked much better. This is weird, because I don't think it could have that immediate effect, but this has happened two of the three times I have used it.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, my lasercomb quit working this morning. It turns on but no longer emits any light. Even though it is apparently still in its warranty period, Lexington refuses to honor the warranty, because I did not purchase it directly from them. The woman to whom I spoke on the phone, Sonia, stated that they have had a number of problems like this. I do not believe that a reputable company refuses to stand behind its product, and I will not do business with them. Buyer beware.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Dude that sucks....Call the place you bought it from and see if they can replace it for you...A lot of companies pull this sh*t. There's an old saying. "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" CALL THEM speak to a manager then speake to their manager and so on. Tell them Politely that your active on the hairloss forums and will have no other choice but to warn others of what can happen if you don't buy directly from the manufacturer. It's not considered libel if it's the truth.
Call them twice a day everyday. Do the same thing with the Manufacturer of the Lasercomb. $675 is too much money to let go of without a fight.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have done those things. The guy from whom I bought the unit has contacted Lexington but has not heard back from them yet. Lexington has not replied to me other than to tell me that they will not honor the warranty. It appears that the Lexington operation in the US is very small. Their entire customer service staff appears to be one person. She may not have the authority to do anything but follow the company's written rules. I didn't pay $675 for the unit, but it's hard to get much of a discount on these things.

I will follow up with a complaint to the BBB in their area, but that really won't do any good, since I don't believe Lexington is a member. All it will do is warn away potential customers who contact the BBB before ordering, and those are very few. My other option is to file a complaint with the attorney general in their state, but that likely won't do any good either, since I am asking them to make an exception to their company rules, which they are not legally required to do. When I purchased the product I had no idea that their policy was no warranty unless you buy it directly from Lexington.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A thought

Eeesh! I'm sorry to hear about your dilema here. As far as Lexington is concerned, my track record with them has been excellent. Someone already mentioned here that when it comes to honoring a warranty that alot of companies will not honor that waranty if the company that sold it to you is not affiliated with the main distributor. Sony, for example, is such a company. I've met the entire staff of Lexington personally and they are a very honest, caring and thoughtful group. I would say "Let the buyer beware" in this situation applies to the company that sold you the product and not the original company. MHO.

Greg

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I solved the problem by having the original purchaser contact Lexington and get authorization to return the unit. Then I shipped the unit to Lexington under his name, they fixed it and shipped it back to him, and he shipped it to me. I have to wait several weeks and pay shipping/insurance two ways, but at least I got a working unit back. It would have been much easier if Lexington had simply allowed me to return it to them directly without going this roundabout way. After all, they could verify the purchase date of the unit via the serial number.

viperfish

Reaction score
Man that sucked for you. Good you got it worked out now. I'll be starting the lasercomb tomorrow. Got it in the mail today!

viperfish

Reaction score
Re: A thought

Encourager (aka Greg) said:
Eeesh! I'm sorry to hear about your dilema here. As far as Lexington is concerned, my track record with them has been excellent. Someone already mentioned here that when it comes to honoring a warranty that alot of companies will not honor that waranty if the company that sold it to you is not affiliated with the main distributor. Sony, for example, is such a company. I've met the entire staff of Lexington personally and they are a very honest, caring and thoughtful group. I would say "Let the buyer beware" in this situation applies to the company that sold you the product and not the original company. MHO.

Greg

That is exactly why I bought mine through Lexington instead through ebay, which alot of people seem to be doing now. It is worth the extra $100 bucks to get it through Lexington. MVPsoft's situation, which he seems to have worked out, is a perfect example of the importance of ordering it through the company.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Viperfish, you hit the nail on the head

If I was in mvpsoft's situation, I'd be frustrated too! But I am glad that it's all working out.

Greg