HairDiva's Story - (Going from luxurious locks to wig diva)

HairDiva

Reaction score
greetings all! So happy I found this board.
I started losing patches of hair after my son was born, oh, about 18 yrs ago. noticed it after getting a perm. Started in the front, and has progressed since then to include the whole crown, and sides of my head. I also have general thinning all over. I had previously been on the pill, and had been overprescribed lots of antibiotics, previously. Also, Alopecia runs in my family, I have two first cousins <female> who also have it, although not as severe. Plus, Both grandmothers had severly thinning hair, as well as Dad. So, with all factors considered, its figured to be a combo of all elements. At certain times, I experience some sligh regrowth, but since Ive had autoimmune diseases, well, I get to be both the genetic dumping ground, and have the side effects of the autoimmune. I also have general thinning of body hair, which, to tell the truth, in my family of hairy chicks, aint a bad thing, lol.
Have tried the usual treatments, I cannot use any steroids, have used midoxidil with limited success.
I do have a kick butt wig collection, and try to find hairpieces that will cover the bald areas, and be able to integrate with the hair in back.
Yes, it still kills my self esteem, but, since I am so good at choosing my hairpieces/wigs, and get them at great prices, and can work with them so well, I get many compliments.
Not comfortable with the scarf thing, as well, I dont look that great, because of my head shape! LOL...I do wear them in the house however.
Ive come a long way with feeling comfortable, but, still won't unwig with second hubby.
I was very hair vain, so I guess that has a lot to do with it...I also do photography makeovers for chemo friends, style wigs.
Rambled enough, haha Mary Anne[/code]

G

Hairdiva

Which wigs do you wear? Also, where do you get your hairpieces? Do you have them custom made for you? Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth

G

Which wigs do you wear? Also, where do you get your hairpieces? Do you have them custom made for you? Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth

I don't buy my wigs from private salons, because they are really a rip off. There are several catalog companies which sell quality wigs, and they are a good place to start, and have very good customer service to help with any questions you may have. Paula Young, is one, she also has a woman of color catalog. And a lot of her wigs have handtied fronts, etc, which usually cost quite a bit more elsewhere. Revlon puts out a wig catalog, Beauty Trends, which has excellent wigs, and great sales throughout the year. If you wear human hair wigs, the best quality ones are Jacquelyn, Georgie, and Yaffa, but they are very expensive. you can usually go on eBay and get them at reasonable prices. Ebay is a great source for wigs, just check out the seller's feedback reputation. I have some great sellers I deal with on there, who sell great wigs. I'll look on the forum and see if there is a place I can put some links, and list some good hair care products etc, for keeping your wigs looking great.
Hope this helps!
mary anne

goingsouth

Reaction score
I'm glad to have found this site . I too order wigs from catalogs . I don't feel comfortable shopping for them in public shops. I am not a lady of color, but bought a great wig that is for a lady of color . It's 2 toned colors are up-to-date.
DRUCY

G

Gals

This site has moved to heralopecia.com ... there are HUNDREDS of us woman on there ....

Hope to see you there .

GiGi76

Reaction score
Thanks for the wig information

Elizabeth,

I appreciate your information so much. I have shedding like crazy.
I am 76 but a young looking one.....so I am preparing for the eventuality that I may have to get a wig in the future.

Thanks again,
GiGI76