Haircut - New pics. Comments please

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Seems diffuse, my friend.

Keep on with the Propecia, minoxidil, and Nizoral, and your hairshafts should improve with time.

pcu83

Reaction score
yeah it's just that it's gone from me not noticing anything -- to this -- where i can barely look at myself in the mirror under the light in about 6 months.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
is your hair wet in those pictures?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pcu83 said:
Just wondering what people think about this type of hairloss. Seems to be diffuse all over the place, but lately it has seemed to miniaturize. Thin spot behind the hairline.

Front --

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pcu83_1/d ... 0ddre2.jpg

Top --

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pcu83_1/d ... 53cre2.jpg

I see what you're talking about bud... I have a similar pattern but, due to the fact I've been on treatments for 2yrs and caught it early, from my pics you couldnt tell... But I was going down that exact same path... Thinning upfront and diffused down the middle.

Anyhow, I dont think things are that bad yet... I certainly would use a minimum of 1mg of Finasteride daily to keep things from getting worse...

jeffsss

Reaction score
some diffuse thinning. what lenght is the hair on top? seems long.

i'm fighting for coverage in the same places you are.

have any close pics of the hair line? what's your age

pcu83

Reaction score
nervx -
is your hair wet in those pictures?

Slightly wet.

socks -
you certainly seem to have responded to finasteride well -- how long did it take? i have been on finasteride for 4 months with no response. would spironolactone be beneficial -- i'm hesitant to add things that aren't FDA approved (dutasteride excluded of course)

jeffss -
hair is pretty short (all of it's cut shorter than i've had it in the past)

Hairline pic -
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pcu83_1/d ... pg&.src=ph
All photos are here for comparison:
http://photos.yahoo.com/pcu83_1

Maybe a little recession, but i don't know.

I'm 23. Never shed. Ever. It seems to have happened really quickly though.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
our hair is pretty similar.

i would suggest not wearing a "wet" style. as long as my hair is kept clean and dry, i get good coverage. though, if my hair is wet or has greast buildup, scalp starts to show through. also, for some reason the forward-brushed, choppy hair-style tends to show more scalp, simply because when you stair at your head in the mirror you are staring in alignment with the direction of the hair. if you decided to go with a "part" hair-style, i you wouldn't even notice hairloss. i tried it for a month or two while my hair was in a slump, but i've gone back to the chop-do for personal style reasons.

for me, finasteride seems to have halted further progression, but only a slight improvement in density from baseline. also, my temples have grown in some.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hop the propecia, Nizoral wagon. See how your fare for 6-12 months and read all the info you can get in the meantime. Welcome aboard 8)

pcu83

Reaction score
thanks guys -- i read this page a lot and it's encouraging to get advice from others as well as read the success stories...

if it starts recovering -- i will be in the success stories b/c it's just good to know that this stuff works at some level

MJT82

Reaction score
You're lucky, you have more hair than I do at 23 as well. Most people would see your hair and hairloss wouldnt even cross their mind. Honestly, you barely have any hairloss, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your hairline looks pretty great honestly. Do you have balding on either side of your parents families?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pcu83 said:
socks -
you certainly seem to have responded to finasteride well -- how long did it take? i have been on finasteride for 4 months with no response. would spironolactone be beneficial -- i'm hesitant to add things that aren't FDA approved (dutasteride excluded of course)

I would say I started getting noticeable results around the 8th month mark. However, keep in mind that not everybody gets regrowth from Finasteride... So long as Finasteride is halting your hair from getting worse or even slowing it down, it is working!

As far as oral spironolactone, I think that is a step too drastic for most men (due to possible sexual side-effects)... You could try topical spironolactone however.

IMO, I would stick with Finasteride for a full 12 months before adding or changing anything barring something drastic happening.

pcu83

Reaction score
-MJT82 -- both my maternal uncle and grandfather went bald very young -- my mom informs me that my uncle's hairline was pretty far receded by the time he graduated college so i shouldn't worry -- but i still am -- I'm not receding, but hair overall is just a lot thinner -- especially it seems hairline and directly behind it. I'm hoping I'll be a good responder to finasteride but so far nothing really.

-socks thanks for the advice -- my personal feeling is that if minoxidil & finasteride don't do it by 12 months, then adding spironolactone (which isn't proven) probably won't do anything.

johnny--i have no idea what that means.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Many finasteride users, especially those with a good aount of coverage to begin with, report that in the early stages of their treatment their hair actually regressed only to have it later improve or return to baseline. Most believe that this reaction is a results of the hair follicles readjusting to life without DHT effects. You stated that things seem to have gotten much worse in the last 6 months and this could be a result of this process of taking a step back to take a step forward. I am diffuse with a small amunt of recession and around 6 months of finasteride/minoxidil use I observed, through photographs, that my hair had taken a step back. Now I am just over the 1 year mark and my hair, through photographic comparison, is slightly better then baseline. Get it?

pcu83

Reaction score
yes thanks

-it's funny. before august i didn't have thin hair. at least not noticeable.