Hair without follicles.

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm about a week or so into applying minoxidil 5% around my hairline and temples. I think all is going well, my scalp is dry which is to be expected what with the alcohol used to dissolve the minoxidil. It is so dry in fact, that its a little itchy. Rather than scratch my scalp i brush it briefly with a wide-toothed plastic hair brush in circular motions, which I find far more satisfying and, quite unfoundedly, I am convinced it's better for the scalp itself.

Anyway, every time I go through this ritual a few hairs fall down my face. I am not alarmed by the number of hairs since I don't brush my hair or rigorously towel dry it daily which would otherwise remove these naturally shed hair. What does alarm me though is that these hairs have no follicles. Some are not as long as my general hair length and some are as dark and "thick" as my baby-fine hairs ever really get. Are these the hairs of follicles in their swan song? So tiny that they are the last hairs to ever grow from their dried out, shrivelled roots? Or are they just broken, damaged hair?
I have not begun the shedding associated with Minoxidil yet, perhaps this is a prelude. Two question I have for others who use or have used minoxidil are...

When does the shedding begin and are follicle-lacking hairs in any way related to this process?

Damien.