Hair Systems For Men With Thinning Hair But Not Bald

JC2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am seriously looking into getting a hair system, rather than going the surgical route. However, one of my concerns is that I still do have a fair amount of hair, albeit it is no where near as thick as it once was. As my hair much thinner, I am in a position where I can no longer style it as I could even 3-5 years ago. It is only a matter of time before I am in a position where toppik will no longer help as well. I am currently taking finasteride which likely has slowed things down but it is not something I wish to take life long, especially when my hair does not even style nicely.

Is a hair system still an option for men who do still have hair? How would it work with the glue to keep the hair system in place when you continual growth?

Appreciate the feedback

Slapster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi JC. The general rule is you shave the area under where the system will sit, so existing hair shouldn't be a problem. From watching YouTube vids, I've seen people removing their systems with quite a bit of hair growing underneath, and it hasn't been a problem for them. As long as you're thinking about cleaning and reattaching every one to two weeks or so, hair growing under the system shouldn't be an issue.

If you could post a pic of your hair, I know some of the more experienced members on here will be able to advise on whether or not you're ready to make the leap yet.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am seriously looking into getting a hair system, rather than going the surgical route. However, one of my concerns is that I still do have a fair amount of hair, albeit it is no where near as thick as it once was. As my hair much thinner, I am in a position where I can no longer style it as I could even 3-5 years ago. It is only a matter of time before I am in a position where toppik will no longer help as well. I am currently taking finasteride which likely has slowed things down but it is not something I wish to take life long, especially when my hair does not even style nicely.

Is a hair system still an option for men who do still have hair? How would it work with the glue to keep the hair system in place when you continual growth?

Appreciate the feedback

I had a similar concerns 4 months ago because my bio hair is thin on top but it wasn't bald so I hate the idea of shave off my bio hair to wear a hair system. It takes a lot of courage to make that move. Now that I've been wearing a HS for few months and I really love it. The sense of self confidence I've felt since wearing a HS is Inexpressible. I really regret that I didn't do the hair system earlier.

This is my recently post:
My first DIY hair system experience
Quit using blow dryer for my hair system
Walker tape 1522 review/ Cleanup so much easier

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shaving the thinning hair that the system is meant to replace will provide a much better, longer-lasting bond. I understand the reluctance to shave off your bio-hair, most especially since you've been taking steps to keep it, but at a certain length, it's going to interfere with the adhesion and make your clean-up much harder.

ChrisPratty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

Appreciate the feedback

Hi CJ!

Good quality hair systems are fully customizable according to your scalp. Your hair thinning problem can be resolved by using the right hair system. Wigs can be applied on any scalp, whether fully bald or not. All you need is to shave the area where it will fit. Modern hair systems use tapes in place of glue that helps the wig to set properly on your scalp and you a natural look. Moreover, the clean up is easy as compared to the glued wigs.

In my opinion, you should opt for a human hair wig customized to hair type and head shape. It is made up from 100% human hair and is far less detectable as compared to a synthetic hair wig. Currently, I ordered my custom wig from Lordhair. Their wigs are least detectable as compared to synthetic hair systems. I think you will find something nice in their mens hair replacement systems catalog.

I have tried a lot of other suppliers (like hairbub and hairhouse) but I never got what I was really looking for.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi CJ!

Good quality hair systems are fully customizable according to your scalp. Your hair thinning problem can be resolved by using the right hair system. Wigs can be applied on any scalp, whether fully bald or not. All you need is to shave the area where it will fit. Modern hair systems use tapes in place of glue that helps the wig to set properly on your scalp and you a natural look. Moreover, the clean up is easy as compared to the glued wigs.

In my opinion, you should opt for a human hair wig customized to hair type and head shape. It is made up from 100% human hair and is far less detectable as compared to a synthetic hair wig. Currently, I ordered my custom wig from Lordhair. Their wigs are least detectable as compared to synthetic hair systems. I think you will find something nice in their mens hair replacement systems catalog.

I have tried a lot of other suppliers (like hairbub and hairhouse) but I never got what I was really looking for.

Hi Chris, please STOP referring to these as "wigs"! They are not wigs, which are constructed differently, and are meant to fully cover the scalp.