Hair Research Ignoramus Seeks Advice From Those Who Have A Clue

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
The crux of this thread is this: should I get a FUE procedure now or use concealers/shave it and hold tight for a few years?

I could go to Turkey now and spend 4-5k on a decent transplant. However, would it be more prudent to wait 2-3 years (given it takes approximately a year to see the full results)? For those who are knowledgeable on the latest research, can you see 4-5k going a lot further in 2020 (be it transplant options or injections/lotions)?

Me: 31 years, advanced Norwood 2 at front with very thin crown area (can still comb over for full-ish coverage). Temples receded for about five years now. Beginning this year, the central peninsula of the hairline has thinned significantly. Where hair used to sit tightly next to each other, vacant scalp flesh punctuates between distinct hair sprouts (obvious under light or when swept back). I basically can't wear my hair quiffed upwards over my hairline which is how I've worn it for years. Can only get away with the fringe swept down over the forehead. Used min and nizoral for around two years, has slowed down loss. Can't use finasteride. Yes I know FUE without finasteride isn't great in the long term.

Any answers/thoughts appreciated.

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
Why is this in the new research section?

Because the discussion I'm hoping to generate relates to whether the current research points to real, appreciable advances by 2020. If the confidence of people who are knowledgeable about these things isn't high then that helps to inform a decision on whether an FUE procedure within the next 12 months would be a wise one.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Because the discussion I'm hoping to generate relates to whether the current research points to real, appreciable advances by 2020. If the confidence of people who are knowledgeable about these things isn't high then that helps to inform a decision on whether an FUE procedure within the next 12 months would be a wise one.

There is no indication that anything talked about so far will be available in 2020 for the mass market and give you guaranteed good density. The best bet is hair cloning but even if it comes out it could well be 2025 before it is available in the west and it certainly wont be 4-5k.

That unfortunately is the state of play at the moment.

ZZmop

Established Member
Reaction score
There is no indication that anything talked about so far will be available in 2020 for the mass market and give you guaranteed good density. The best bet is hair cloning but even if it comes out it could well be 2025 before it is available in the west and it certainly wont be 4-5k.

That unfortunately is the state of play at the moment.

That's disappointing to hear. From what I've looked at in this forum alone, the only nebulous hope of a new, semi-affordable treatment on the horizon is the Fidia lotion so if nothing comes of that by this time next year, it may well be time to book a trip to Turkey. Thanks for replying.

why you can't use finasteride ?

Sides.