Hair loss related anxiety is not necessarily being vain!

G

Those who suffer from hair loss might be experiencing trauma not because of vanity reasons but more for a feeling of loosing thier identity.

I was watching a documentory on transexuals called "Transgeneration" on Showtime which was about people in their twenties experiencing trauma for a lack of identity with themseves and the body they were born with and how some dealt with this through a sex change. One boy (female born) was on the path to changing her sex through the use of testosterone and the fear she (now he) was going through.

I couldn't help but relate to this individual as I am treating myself with Dutasteride which extremely alters my chemical balance within my body and I realised the stress I feel from loosing my hair is not a cosmetic reason. I am not in the least bit concerned about whether I look beautiful or not nor do I think hair loss is in any way "ugly". But I do feel something strong within me that if I don't reverse my hair loss I will never be able to be myself again. I will forever be able to relate to being born in the wrong body just the same as a Transexual feels. I would even cosider surgery as an optional treatment just as a transexual would.

So as you can see I am not in the least bit vain when I say hair loss has destroyed my life. And I feel this lack of identity is the main culprit in androgenetic alopecia anxiety.

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel the exact same way.

I havn't been myself in the past six months where my hairloss had accellerated. The accellerated hairloss may be due to the shed, as I began using Revivogen last november.

Til all or most of my hair regrows back, I won't be myself again. I, too feel as though I have lost alot of my personal identiy and havn't been my self for a while. I understand that it is all in the mind, but it effects me psychologically so much, because me being bald sure isn't me at all.

By the way, where are you on the norwood scale ?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sure, your appearance is an important part of your identity and self image.

Losing your hair which affects this in quite a big way is bound to have an effect.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
losing hair is like losing any other appendage on your body. its you- the full package...you dont have to be beautiful, but just being "you", well thats good enough. And when that starts to get taken away, anyone in the world would react with fear.

G

I am currently not on the norwood scale but I am diffused all over and the temples are thinner than overall. This is due to treatment. Without treatment I would be a norwood 2-3 and much more diffuse all over than I am now, definetly noticeable and thinning very fast.

I have just reached the point where I can part my hair in the middle, put the bangs behind my ears and you could barely tell I was thinning anymore except in really bright light. I have a very serious regimen that I have been working at for a very long time and I am just recently showing signs of improvement.

One of my many treatments is Dutasteride and one of the points I was trying to make in this thread is how I relate with the kid on the documentary that taking hardcore drugs is a small price to pay for getting closer to identifying with yourself. My treatment has very littlte to do with mere appearence of my physical person though I do look good with long beautiful hair.

G

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why no one else is responding to this thread??? Mabye it's because the stupid fuc king admin douche keeps moving my posts to less trafficed forums.

Fuc k this stupid fuc king website. I came on here today with all these cool things to say, but now after I noticed all my posts are moved around, fuc k it.

So I can only talk to people about my hair loss if it applies to the general topics. I think there are far better websites than this one! I'm out...

G

I think it all depends on how your hairloss is progressing. In my case for instance, the hairloss has been a long slow drawn out affair.

I know I am losing my hair and because it's so gradual I can get used to the look as it progresses. I think the problem for some people is when the hair loss is quick and they don't have the time to adjust to it. You need a long time to adjust to something that you know may or may not affect the way you look.

I think this is why some people worry so much about hair loss. When I look at myself today I think I look much better now than when I had a full head of hair in my teens. And that's with hair loss. Funny eh....