hair loss in college

dan1938

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say I appreciate what this forum tries to do for us baldies. I know from experience it is very hard to get professional help regarding hair loss.

I am a 22 year old university student and I noticed I was losing hair when I was 20 and a half. it was only frontal hair loss with some receding hair line. I didn't waste much time to do my research and get on the finasteride journey. I started taking 1.25 mg/day around the end of march, 2011. The hair loss stopped immediately and i actually gained some thickness back. fast forward 13 months, i started noticing some problems. My skin suddenly got really oily and started breaking out with acne. The acne has gotten a lot worse in the past 4 months. This might be subjective but i also noticed more hair loss. I suspected finasteride might be playing a role with the acne, so i started taking 5mg over 5 days instead of 1.25/day(divide tevafinasteride 5 mg in to 3- 1mg doses and 2 -.5mg doses). I did this as an attempt to reduce the apparent sides. Now, I am not really sure if finasteride is responsible for the sides because I did move to a much more humid city about 6 month after I started taking finasteride. so, this could be causing the oily skin and I have read somewhere oily skin can contribute to hair loss to a small degree. And both my parents have oily skin, so it could be normal as I am getting older. so my questions are:

1) would decreasing finasteride dosage slightly like I did reduce its positive effects?
2) would finasteride cause oily skin and acne? and if yes would it resolve over time?
3) from experience did you guys notice periods of shedding on finasteride and how did it go?
I have included a couple current pictures of my hair...take in to consideration I have a naturally big forehead
:)

I would appreciate any kinda feedback
Dan

Attachments

• IMG385.jpg
    IMG385.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG386.jpg
    IMG386.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 240

dan1938

Reaction score
talk to a doctor.

specifically a dermatologist

they would know best.
dermatologists are a waste of time except for prescribing a host of topicals and medications(fyi i did see a Doctor and a derm and all he did was spend 5 min and prescribe retin a). I know I don't want to lose my hair...so stopping finasteride and seeing if things improve could be an unnecessary risk, considering the acne could be caused by something else. By the time I find out I ll be bold and acne infested. so I have already been taking ultra low dose accutane to control the acne.my observation is that most docs and derms don't know about your condition and complications as much you do and are reluctant to investigate correlations.they would rather write you a script and send you out the door.That's why forums like this are so important to us. My questions were more directed towards those who have experience taking finasteride and can relate to my story. thanks for the input though.
Dan

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
idk then man

prolly is a bad dermatologist. the derm's specialty is issues with skin

perhaps you could see a doctor specifically for hair loss? like the hair loss centers they have in major cities? hair restoration clinics is one term for them

if you don't already exercise regularly and eat healthy, i'll bet you it will help