guy38's Story

guy38

Reaction score
Hi,
If you hate long posts, better skip. If you don't mind answering a few questions, please read on.
I am 39 and got hit early, 17 to be exact. Only good thing was process was very very very slow. Started at one temple and took a good 10 years for it to gradually spread up to forehead and back over to the other temple. At that time (27), it all just stopped. Back in those days the only thing out was something called polysorbate. I started on it around age 20 and it worked for 1-2 years as temple filled almost completly in. But after 1-2 years, recession reappeared at that temple and then slowly spread over to other then everything just stopped. I remember hating the recession even though it was not much. But I was glad it stopped and was thankful I did not inherite the male pattern baldness gene from mom's side as would end up really bald like every other male in the past 3 generations. Still it did not seem like my dad's side as they do not begin until about 70 and then it's vertex only. Well as time went on things still looked good until about age 33 when It looked like things were starting up again , only this time in vertex rather than up front. You could only see it when wet but that was still enough to get me started on generic minoxidil which had been out about 1 year at that time. minoxidil seemed to work at least to the point that it stopped the process. I started taking pictures and most that saw them said I was not reallly regrowing but not advancing -basically halting further advancement. Then a few years later when I was 36 somthing started happening to me. Body hair started coming in while vertex started advancing steadly. This was very noticable change and I know it was not my imagination as my loss for almost 20 years had always been very very slow up to that point.
It's almost like it's a different/separate kind of loss as it responds to treatment differently as well and I have scape irriatation only in vertex (most of which in outline area) while hairline never has had this problem.
I finally got on finestride a couple of months before my 38th birthday . Unlike most guys I saw results up front before vertex. I knew hairline was going get better 3-4 months after starting but vertex took twice that long.
It did finally improve and I was pleased as it had worked much better than minoxidil ever did. After about 1 year I ran out and it took awhile to get more. I started seeing hair in shower /pillow and even now several months after getting back on finestride I am still seeing it, maybe not as much but it sure looks like I have started balding again. I have more comments but I will stop for now and ask a few questions:

1) Could I have one type of male pattern baldness in the front and a different one in the vertex? There sure seems to be a big difference. Even after 3 years of minoxidil, Front will maintain/get slight regrowth , but I am sure I wlll develop a bald spot in vertex without finestride. minoxidil just isn't enough anymore.

2) What triggered this fast onset of vertex loss after 20 years of mild recession?

3) How long will finestride work? Even though most of my loss has been very slow, 2 treatments (polysorbate, minoxidil) have already stopped working after 2-3 years.

I could pester you guys with questions all night but I will be quiet now :)

Thanks for any help.

guy38

Reaction score
No long term users here? I know most here are young guys , but surely there are a few pros out there?

G

guy38 said:
No long term users here? I know most here are young guys , but surely there are a few pros out there?

Long timers hate long posts with no paragraphs. Makes us sleepy! :lol:

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
guy38 said:
1) Could I have one type of male pattern baldness in the front and a different one in the vertex? There sure seems to be a big difference. Even after 3 years of minoxidil, Front will maintain/get slight regrowth , but I am sure I wlll develop a bald spot in vertex without finestride. minoxidil just isn't enough anymore.
This is actually a great story. It shows how everyone is so different. In my opinion, you experienced full on androgenetic alopecia (ie, hormones kicking in and really doing their number on you) at a much later stage than most guys do. Most guys see what you saw (Body hair increase, scalp irritation, itching, and a direct decrease in scalp hair in conjunction with the increase in body hair)..... in their 20's. There is no doubt in my mind that what you were seeing in the years prior was male pattern baldness, but just at a very very slow pace. Things can surge, change, etc. Its all about genetic programming and everyone is different. You saw your surge later in life. There is also the remote chance that since we dont know 100% what causes androgenetic alopecia, you could have had a "slower moving" form or could have been experiencing the "other" cause of it that maybe usually is in CONJUNCTION with it ... during the first years. Who knows. That is a total unknown. Doctors would simply say it was slow moving male pattern baldness that eventually surged like a normal guys. The fast paced shedding, irritation, itching, inflammation, etc... all are signs of hormonal changes in the scalp and body.

guy38 said:
2) What triggered this fast onset of vertex loss after 20 years of mild recession?
In a word? Genetics. Its just how you're programmed. Im sure there's a more detailed description available, but science doesn't know hair loss that well yet. I don't believe it was something other than male pattern baldness. The reason why is simple - it followed the male pattern baldness pattern, even if it was just up front. Hair loss is defined by the pattern of loss. If its patchy, its typically alopecia areata. If its recession its no doubt male pattern baldness.

guy38 said:
3) How long will finestride work? Even though most of my loss has been very slow, 2 treatments (polysorbate, minoxidil) have already stopped working after 2-3 years.
According to the studies, Propecia continued to work well into the 6th and 7th year for the initial responders. You should be fine. I would definitely suggest going on 5% minoxidil two times a day, make SURE YOU ARE USING NIZORAL shampoo to control the itching and inflammation. Once every 3 days and let it soak into your scalp while you shower. If you had any inflammation or itching, that alone can destroy success on Rogaine and Propecia. Scalp must be in a healthy state for them to work. Use the Nizoral. If you do not see satisfactory results after 10 months on this "Big 3" regimen, consider adding Tricomin Therapy spray for additional growth stimulation, and give it another 3 to 6 months for results. If still no results then, consider adding 5% Topical Spironolactone Lotion from Dr. Lee at minoxidil.com ... and again, give it 3 to 6 months. That would be my 2 year plan for you and your situation at this time. It is what I would do for myself if I was in your position.

Good luck, and keep us posted in this same thread with your progress. Feel free to post your pictures too if you like!

HairLossTalk.com

guy38

Reaction score
This is actually a great story. It shows how everyone is so different. In my opinion, you experienced full on androgenetic alopecia (ie, hormones kicking in and really doing their number on you) at a much later stage than most guys do. Most guys see what you saw (Body hair increase, scalp irritation, itching, and a direct decrease in scalp hair in conjunction with the increase in body hair)..... in their 20's. There is no doubt in my mind that what you were seeing in the years prior was male pattern baldness, but just at a very very slow pace. Things can surge, change, etc. Its all about genetic programming and everyone is different. You saw your surge later in life. There is also the remote chance that since we dont know 100% what causes androgenetic alopecia, you could have had a "slower moving" form or could have been experiencing the "other" cause of it that maybe usually is in CONJUNCTION with it ... during the first years. Who knows. That is a total unknown. Doctors would simply say it was slow moving male pattern baldness that eventually surged like a normal guys. The fast paced shedding, irritation, itching, inflammation, etc... all are signs of hormonal changes in the scalp and body.

Thanks for the reply. I did some searching over the net and found a doctor descibing exactly what I went though. He called it step or stage balding. Men lose hair for awhile then it just stops only to start up again at a later time. His point was that it never stops for good. I can certainly agree to that .

In a word? Genetics. Its just how you're programmed. Im sure there's a more detailed description available, but science doesn't know hair loss that well yet. I don't believe it was something other than male pattern baldness. The reason why is simple - it followed the male pattern baldness pattern, even if it was just up front. Hair loss is defined by the pattern of loss. If its patchy, its typically alopecia areata. If its recession its no doubt male pattern baldness.

Oh I am sure it' genetics as it seems to be following my mother's side like clockwork. As far back as I can remember my uncle had a slight receding hairline that never seemed to change even after he started balding in the back. Around his late 30's to early 50's his balding greatly accelerated in the back while his hairline stayed put. He tried rogaine yet he continued to bald steadly in vertex area only. No doubt I was in the begining stages of this "change" I was just curious if something actually triggers it. I am guessing my male pattern baldness gene just fully turned on? It's quite frustrating/embarrasing watching your balding follow your uncle and grandfather like clockwork because you know what's next. On the other hand that's part of what pushed me to get on propecia. Also wanted to thank you for that suggestion a couple of years ago on another board. You and several other guys kept suggesting it and I finally gave it a try.
I am convinced now that I would seriously be screwed if it were not for finestride

According to the studies, Propecia continued to work well into the 6th and 7th year for the initial responders. You should be fine. I would definitely suggest going on 5% minoxidil two times a day, make SURE YOU ARE USING NIZORAL shampoo to control the itching and inflammation. Once every 3 days and let it soak into your scalp while you shower. If you had any inflammation or itching, that alone can destroy success on Rogaine and Propecia. Scalp must be in a healthy state for them to work. Use the Nizoral. If you do not see satisfactory results after 10 months on this "Big 3" regimen, consider adding Tricomin Therapy spray for additional growth stimulation, and give it another 3 to 6 months for results. If still no results then, consider adding 5% Topical Spironolactone Lotion from Dr. Lee at minoxidil.com ... and again, give it 3 to 6 months. That would be my 2 year plan for you and your situation at this time. It is what I would do for myself if I was in your position.

I was seeing good results up until a few months ago. I am hoping what I have been seeing is the delayed reaction of having to taper off propecia when I was running out. I can't use 5% minoxidil in vertex without it causing more scape problems. I can use it up front all I want with no problem , but I stay with 2% in vertex. Interesting the red inflamation seems to follow the outline area around my vertex.
I do use NIZORAL. Started about the same time as finestride (late sept 02). At first it did not seem to work but by the following summer the itching was almost gone/greatly reduced along with nice regrowth. It seems like I have to use it everyday for it to work. I was going to ask you, what do you think of folligen? I have seen some positive reports on it for itching problems and wondering what you think?
Good luck, and keep us posted in this same thread with your progress. Feel free to post your pictures too if you like!

HairLossTalk.com

Thanks, I will post some as I have plenty to document my fight.

guy38

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
guy38 said:

Long timers hate long posts with no paragraphs. Makes us sleepy! :lol:

Sorry. I do tend to ramble at times, but he helps me deal with the frustration .

guy38

Reaction score
update:

Well I think I just dodged the bullet thanks to the finestride. My hair loss got worse and it really looked like the stuff had stopped working for me. Vertex outline pattern got easier to see and got to the point that it was getting very difficult to conceal. But now I see things are getting better again as it's getting much easier to cover up and I can see a new wave of growth coming in..just like the first time I got good results.

What I don't understand is nizoral: I stayed on it and minoxidil the whole time yet I lost hair and had terriable itching. As soon as I get back on finestride(on a consistant basis) the itching gets much better (but still there) and vertex starting to fill in again. I am wondering if nizoral and minoxidil are a waste of time at this point. One thing is clear: For me, finestride has become very important at least in my vertex area and really works.

Good luck guys!

guy38

Reaction score
Another update:

Things continue to slowly improve . Outer egde of vertex, esp on right side where thining was spreading over to has really really reversed. Hair there has returned to normal and grows long and usable. This was one of 2 areas I needed help and thankfully I got it. Thin verex spot has both shrunk and filled in as well. Only in direct spotlight does it still seem like a problem. Hopefully it will continue to slowly improve but even if it does not, I could be happy like this. FWIW, I equate my results to finasteride, not minoxidil. I still use minoxidil but have cut way back as it causes much of the itching . I use 2% every other day at the most. Used like this I normally only have itching the day after I put on minoxidil.

Oh and can anyone recommend inhousefarmacy.com? I have about 1 month's supply of finasteride left and need to reorder asap. Drugsrus seems to be having problems with credit cards.

I see many people with questions about finasteride as of late. My experince:

results are very very slow but much stronger than minoxidil And yes things can get worse before they get better at least the first couple of sheds.
Start taking it and take pics at begning of treatment, then at 3 months, then at 6 then at 9 , etc. Don't keep looking every day as it will just drive you crazy. I got scared but it just takes time for the stuff to work.

Good luck guys!