Gun taxes...

CCS

Reaction score
You have a first amendment right to own a gun. But I heard Obama somehow raised the gun tax in california, or just allowed california to raise the gun tax there. Not sure. But firearms that used to sell for $350 now cost $600 with the new gun tax.

See, they can't take your guns away, but they can make the tax so high that no one can afford them. If you want a gun and are in a state that has not yet went up, now may be a good time to get one.

I don't want one because I think I'm too clumsy. But I like knowing other good citizens have them. If you own one, you have a greater chance of shooting yourself. But if 10% of people have them, and burgerlers don't know who, then it gives everyone else safety since the bad guys are afraid to find out who.

CCS

Reaction score
I doubt gun taxes reduce how many low criminals have them. Most criminals just steal theirs anyway.

The Gardener

Reaction score
CCS said:
You have a first amendment right to own a gun. But I heard Obama somehow raised the gun tax in california, or just allowed california to raise the gun tax there. Not sure. But firearms that used to sell for $350 now cost $600 with the new gun tax.
As a Californian gun owner and, believe it or not, NRA member, I can attest to the fact that that's utter and complete BS. This isn't the first time you've been fed some VERY incorrect data from some information source you have that must be a hard right wing smear machine.

First off, Obama has NO impact on California gun taxation laws. You should know that, CCS. State taxes are a matter of state law, and the federal government has ZERO impact on state law... provided of course it doesn't violate the federal constitution.

Now, what I CAN say is that the state of California is near bankruptcy, and there have been numerous budget bills floated by the legislature that include outrageous tax increases in order to make up the state budget deficit (which is ENORMOUS). The more fiscally liberal legislators have attempted to levy these taxes on their favorite targets... alcohol (something like a $1 tax on EVERY bottle of wine sold, for example), gas (a "gas surcharge" in the tens of cents per gallon... and the outrageous thing is that this tax would be applied ON TOP of the existing state gas tax, in effect, we're being taxed on our tax!?!), and although I have not heard this as a fact it would not surprise me if they tried to levy additional taxes on guns as well.

For the record, NONE of these tax proposals have been approved, as in CA you need a two thirds majority to increase taxes, and the fiscal liberals don't have the votes. THAT'S why CA is tottering on bankruptcy.

So, you can put this smear to rest... the governor has held a strict line that there will be NO outrageous taxes, and he wants the majority of budget relief to come from spending cuts. He, and the fiscal conservatives in the state assembly might reach a compromise where they do allow SOME tax increases on some things, but for the most part, they are demanding that most of the relief should come from spending cuts.

Frankly, I think the state should declare bankruptcy. The real killer in our budget is that the state service workers labor unions all cut sweet deals for themselves during the good times (the tech bubble), with guaranteed wage increases and fat pensions... and now that the tech bubble is bust, and the country is in depression, these sweet deals are sinking the state's finances like a lead balloon.

And lastly, for the record, California is FAR from being the state with the most intrusive anti-gun laws. It's VERY easy for a Californian to purchase a firearm... this probably attributed to the fact that, geographically speaking, California is a big state with lots of open space and, for rural Californians, hunting is as much a part of the culture as it is in Colorado, Texas, or Michigan. State gun laws in California aren't all that bad... its the CITY and municipal laws that are intrusive. In fact, I believe that's its illegal to own or carry a concealed weapon in West Hollywood?... so if I drive through that municipality, I need to make sure the Glock is left at home.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
No CCS, Gardener is correct.

Just a tidbit, the Federal firearms excise tax is 10 percent for handguns and 11 percent for long guns and ammo.

Gardener is wrong on one thing though. California has some of the most draconian gun laws and rabid anti-gunners in the USA. It's gun owners like Gardener who have prevented the liberal rabid anti-gunners from prohibiting the private ownership of firearms IMHO. If they had their way, Gardener would not be allowed to own any firearm. Probably not even a BB gun.

Although they aren't as bad as that honestly run liberal state known as Illinois. (You know, the same political machine Obama worked under. The kind of political machine who has no problem nominating tax evaders for very high positions like our soon to be Treasury Secretary. I know Revenue Agents who would have recommended the fraud penalty on what Gheitner(sp?) did by pocketing grossed up pay he promised, in writing, to pay the Treasury for his payroll tax liability over a four year period. And, let's not forget the wonderfully honest and down to earth Tom Daschle for Health and Human Services Secretary.)

New York, Hawaii and some liberal New England states aren't much better than Illinois. So California isn't the worst, but California is abysmal compared to states like Michigan IMHO.

However, the Brady a**wipes think I'm wrong and rate California as the best anti-gun state in the union. The following list speaks for itself.

http://www.stategunlaws.org/xshare/pdf/ ... nkings.pdf

(Even though the Brady a**wipes rank Michigan 11th on the list, Michigan's total "points" are roughly 27 percent of California's 1st place ranking as the most anti-gun state in the union.)

Gardener, the anti's have worn you down. California is a horribly anti-gun state IMHO. Fight back man, fight back!!

Here's a link to a copy of the Federal excise tax return for firearms and ammo.

http://www.titleii.com/pdf/5300-26.pdf