Grrrrr.

G

:-x Well upset.

I have traction alopecia to a very severe degree. Just when I had learned how to deal with it, and use alternative styling methods, I develop alopecia areata as well.

That's just rotten luck, innit?

I would like to know what I can do, apart from shave the entire head and look like Errol Brown [of Hot Chocolate, Sexy thing fame] for the rest of my life. :shock:

I know the areata is temporary, but it is hard in the mean time for styling. If I get braids, then what? I run the risk of damaging my hair further. I really need some help here, ladies! :?:

mayalopecia

Reaction score
alopecia areata

Hi Indigo,

I'm sorry that you're going through this, it is frustrating! I don't have alopecia areata, but rather androgentic alopecia. However, I may be of some help. Where is your bald spot? Do you straighten your hair? You might try straightening and then using clip in extensions to cover the spot.

Maybe you could get a little hairpiece to cover the spot while you wait for it to grow back in?

Just some thoughts,
-maya

indigo

Reaction score
:(

There is a diary profile of a lady with AA, and mine is in pretty much the same spot. So where I would have let my hair fall to cover the sides, now, I can't because of the patch. Plus, my hair is afro hair, so it doesn't grow that long, which makes it difficult to deal with anyway. I have no idea what to do next

:cry:

indigo

Reaction score
Update...

Well, the traction alopecia is still as it was - but the AA seemed to have cleared up by itself. I am very tempted to shave it all off, but for the funny shape of my head and the places where the TA is, it would still look funny.

I have managed to find two wigs that I am fond of, and that look realistic! They'll do for now, but when the summer kicks in, it will be hard to wear wigs because of the heat. I'll cross that bridge when I get there, I guess.

:shysmile:

My work colleagues have lots of fun when I have my short wig on one day and my long one the next - I have a very good sense of humour, and whilst I am laughing at myself too, something deep inside is regretful that I did this to myself, as TA is self induced.

Oh well. I'll keep you posted.

Indigo

Tara

Reaction score
Wigs for AA

Hi Indigo,

I have Diffused Alopecia Areata. It started with 3 bald spots.. which are now recovering :)

However I am now expereincing diffused thinning all over.

I noticed you mention that you have two wigs that you are fond of.. please can you tell me where they are from.

I am seriously thinking about making a purchase

Thanks
Tara

indigo

Reaction score
Well, summer is here, and I'm at the bridge...

Remember I said that I found two wigs that I was fond of, and when summer arrived, I'd cross the bridge of not being able to wear them when I get there?

Well, summer is here...People don't understand when I say I'm dreading the summer...

Becoming too warm to wear wigs...So it is an agonising time for me at the moment. :cry:

The alopecia areata seems to have gone by itself - I have hair all over the patch now, which is good - but the traction alopecia looks hideous. I feel desperately unattractive and I just feel so sad. I sometimes sit on the tube and admire other women's hair - even men - some guys have some really cool hairstyles!

My dream is to have one of those funky 80s/mod cuts and add a dash of colour to it.

God, what people take for granted.

One day, when I get the chance, I will put pictures up of my hair loss...
Dunno why...Guess I just need to share it with someone. This hair loss lark can be very lonely and for a woman - perhaps even a shameful time. I am very ashamed of the way my hair looks.

Indigo
:(

indigo

Reaction score
Re: Wigs for AA

Tara said:
Hi Indigo,

I have Diffused Alopecia Areata. It started with 3 bald spots.. which are now recovering :)

However I am now expereincing diffused thinning all over.

I noticed you mention that you have two wigs that you are fond of.. please can you tell me where they are from.

I am seriously thinking about making a purchase

Thanks
Tara

Hi Tara - I don't know where you live, but I live in UK - the wigs that I have a called - "Cecilia" by Sleek and the other one was by Sensationelle - both have websites, and if you call them, they will provide you with the nearest outlet.

Good luck - let me know how you get on...

Indigo

indigo

Reaction score
Winter's back! Yay!!!!

Hi all,

I get the feeling this is a one gal show, cos I don't seem to get many replies...still. It's comforting to post messages, I guess.

Well. The summer came. Months of agonising over my 'hair' and pulling it to cover patches and it was just miserable.

Winter, is back. Roll out the wigs! Becoming increasingly depressed, however, I'm not the moping type, so I still go out and about and do whatever it is I have to do.

:roll: oh well. I guess my reasoning and rationale behind that is that people are faced with far more worse traumas than flipping hair loss - but that doesn't make it any less painful for me: it just helps me to put things into perspective a little bit. Even if it is for a little bit.

I get the feeling it's going to get worse too, because some pustles have appeared at the sites. Which usually indicates the follicle death or at least the beginning of it...

Just glad the summer is over, because it means I can go out wig shopping again...kinda sad, but I look forward to it too, cos I guess the advantage is you can change your hairstyle as often as you want to without the trauma. I wish I'd have found this out sooner....

Indigo x x

natz_6264

Reaction score
Hi Indigo,

I am totally new to this - I just signed up today. My eyebrows have slowly been disappearing and I'm scared my hair will soon also - not many people on this board seem to have eyebrow loss! It seems to be common in totalis, though. Which is scary.

I understand completely how you feel. I'm 19 and I still go out, but... It's like I explained to a friend who I hadn't seen for a while (who immediately asked, "what happened to your eyebrows?"). I said, "On the one hand, it's only my eyebrows, I'm not really sick. On the other hand, it's my bloody eyebrows, why the hell should I be worrying about them!" It's frustrating, and it must be more so for you coz it's head hair.

Can you educate me a little? What is traction alopecia? and what are pustles? I really don't know much about all this.