green tea catechin stability

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
Stability of Green Tea Catechins

Green tea catechins (GTCs), which include (-)-epicatechin (EC), (-)-epicatechin gallate (ECG), (-)-epigallocatechin (EGC) and (-)-epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), possess a variety of biological activities. We have previously studied the effect of dietary GTCs as a mixture on membrane oxidation of red blood cells and found that GTCs were partially absorbed and detected in the blood of rats given an oral ingestion of 100 mg of GTCs. To explain the partial absorption of GTCs and their varying free-radical scavenging capacity at different pH, the present paper was to study further the pH stability of these GTC isomers because there is a sharp increase in pH from the acidic stomach to the slightly alkaline intestine. Longjing GTCs as a mixture in alkaline solutions (pH > 8) were extremely unstable and degraded almost completely in a few minutes, whereas in acidic solutions (pH < 4) they were very stable. For the pH between 4 and 8, the stability of GTCs was pH-dependent, i.e., the lower the pH, the greater the stability. Four epicatechin isomers examined demonstrated varying stability in alkaline solutions with EGCG and EGC being equally instable, and EC and ECG being relatively stable. The present results suggest that part of the mechanism by which GTCs were partially absorbed may be attributed to instability of EGCG and EGC in the intestine where the pH is neutral or alkaline.
http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cg ... 06080.html

RaginDemon

Reaction score
drinking green tea is good for you in general as long as you don't overdo it.

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
someone explain what we are supposed to take from this

I am putting green tea in my conditioner and was wondering if the ph (conditioners usually are acidic) would affect the catechin stability.

Cassin

Reaction score
Ahhhhh I see. Thank you.

I think from what I have read most people simply pour it onto their head during a shower. I think they just bring in a cup of it.

I just drink 6 to 10 cups a day for health and taste.

RAKBS

Established Member
Reaction score
This is just like that other study that was posted here that said green tea was absorbed better when it had citrus juice added to it.

I've been adding apple cider vinegar to my topical green tea solutions for a while now, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.