Grafts falling out

JimmyJones

Banned
Reaction score
I've read that when you have a transplant it takes approximately 10 days for the grafts to be secure and permanent in your scalp, is this true? Before this time they can be knocked out and lost forever. Can somebody clear this up for me? Thank you.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read that when you have a transplant it takes approximately 10 days for the grafts to be secure and permanent in your scalp, is this true? Before this time they can be knocked out and lost forever. Can somebody clear this up for me? Thank you.

Yes, there is the Bernstein study on graft security(google it).
According to it, at 10 days they are safe, if you simply pluck out the hair or the scab, the root of the follcile remains.
First 10 days is the period when you must be very careful with what you do, to not damage the grafts.

But also , from what i have seen, it is advised to pay some attention not to hit/scratch /injure your head until 1 month passes.
Oh, and you must avoid sun exposure for a couple of months after the procedure. I've read about a case when a hair transplant patient stayed 1 day in the sun and got sunburned. Even if it was 3 months after-procedure, nothing grew...