got a huge info packet about Fleming/Meyers Flap

jeffsss

Reaction score
it's ahuge book/ pamphlet.. i must say.. they spent quite a bit of money on all the stuff they sent me..

but Damn... I saw the upclose pics of the "flap" and it truely looks like Frankenstein..

I'd rather be bald then have this huge scar at my hairline, it looks sooo unnatural.. geezz...

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen an article on this procedure in a magazine and looked it up on the internet.

I didn't see the scars but the hair regrown looked amazing. I may consider this if I could afford it but I'm only 21 so they may not touch me..

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I would hope they wouldn't touch you at 21.

With a flap, there is no "regrown" hair. You have the same amount of hair as you did when you were balding, but they're stretching the hair-bearing scalp across the top of your head....so the hair covers more area, but is less dense, overall.

Please do not consider hair transplant or flap surgery at such a young age. You may be in the dumps now, but there are better days ahead...trust me.

mr_sparkle said:
I've seen an article on this procedure in a magazine and looked it up on the internet.

I didn't see the scars but the hair regrown looked amazing. I may consider this if I could afford it but I'm only 21 so they may not touch me..

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
well I'm going onto propecia very soon. minoxidil isn't doing the job very well alone and Dermatch will only be effective whilst there's still hair there!

Is there any surgery that would be safe for a 21 year old or am I going to have to wait for a few years?

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
It's not that it isn't necessarily "safe," it's that you (nor anyone else) knows the extent to which you will bald in the future. If you went under the knife, you'd be committing to future surgeries as you continue to lose hair. If you think (in your head) you look bad now, wait until you are between hair transplant surgeries w/an unnaturally balding appearance....THAT, my friend, is when people WILL notice.

Listen to all the little boys b**ch on this board - some are whining about applying minoxidil for one minute every day. Goodness knows how they'd be if they had to maintain a SURGICAL schedule.

Surgery, IMO, should be reserved for the absolute last resort...and I doubt you're even CLOSE to being there yet. Remember, any scars and/or hair patterns put on your head through hair transplant surgery are PERMANENT. If a better medicinal treatment comes out in the next few years, well, you'll still be a guy who has a fake hairline and crown.

Think about it.

mr_sparkle said:
well I'm going onto propecia very soon. minoxidil isn't doing the job very well alone and Dermatch will only be effective whilst there's still hair there!

Is there any surgery that would be safe for a 21 year old or am I going to have to wait for a few years?

michael barry

Reaction score
A flap will give you an unnatrually thick hairline. As you get older.....it will be TOO thick. The sides of your hair receed also.......if you bald a great deal, they will literally receed back to your ears. Flaps involve MASSIVE scarring, so shaving your head will forever be a no-no. You wont have any hair in the lower back portion of your head and if you develop a vertex bald spot later in life.....youre really screwed. If your going the surgery route.....get a good FUE surgeon and get it done right and get ON propecia.