Glaxo sued in US for hiding negative data on drug

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this is not directly related to hairloss,but thought i would post it here to point out that even the big drug companys(that we put trust in) can be dishonest abount clinical data

http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/stor ... 68,00.html

IN a novel claim testing the way the US$400 billion worldwide pharmaceutical industry is regulated, New York state attorney-general Eliot Spitzer sued the British drug giant GlaxoSmithKline for consumer fraud.

He charged the company with concealing negative information about its anti-depressant medicine Paxil.

The suit contends Glaxo SmithKline engaged in fraud by failing to tell physicians that studies of Paxil showed that the drug does not work in adolescents.

Starting in 1998, Glaxo suppressed the results of clinical studies that failed to show the drug worked or suggested an increased risk of suicide, the lawsuit said. The company denied the allegations.

The suit said Glaxo conducted at least five studies on the use of Paxil in children and adolescents but published only one of them, which had mixed results.

Mr Spitzer demanded that Glaxo give up all profits from the sale of Paxil in New York for treating depression in children and teens. He also sought unspecified damages for affected consumers.

Glaxo spokeswoman Mary Ann Rhyne said it disseminated information about all its trials either in medical journals or at scientific meetings as well as to regulatory agencies.

The suit comes amid growing controversy over the effectiveness and potential side effects in children of anti-depressants.

In March the US Food and Drug Administration asked companies to change the labels on 10 anti-depressants to include larger and more prominent warnings about patient monitoring.

Paxil is approved in the US only for adults but doctors are allowed to prescribe it for children on an 'off-label' basis.

Mr Spitzer's lawsuit also said that Glaxo's actions prevented doctors from exercising proper judgment in deciding whether to prescribe Paxil for children.

The American depository receipts of GlaxoSmithKline fell more than 3 per cent to US$41.39 in New York on Wednesday. - Reuters, NYT

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
man, i was on paxil for a week and it gave me very painful ejaculations with thick blood in the semen. once i quit the drug, everything went back to normal. obviously that isn't a listed side effect.