Giving up the battle

Preston

Reaction score
Well , that's it . I have decided I will stop treating my hairloss .

After numerous health problems and when I thought I could finally be happy , I moved from my parents house and started studying again after several years of suffering .
I was extatic , but it didn't last long when I saw pieces of myself falling away by hundreds every day , hairs .
Af first I couldn't believe what I was seeing , went to a derm and asked what was going on . Of course when he told me I had alopecia I could not believe it , after everything I had to endure this wasn't possible .
This ruined my life for an entire year , as I screwed my university 1st year and made very few friends in this new city .
A few months after I saw the derm I decided to try finasteride and minoxidil , it slowed down the hairloss but the improvement was far from drastic .

1.5 year later I had to quit finasteride because of side effects .
Minoxidil is causing big dark "circles" under the eyes so I can't even continue that .

This all thing has sucked so much energy from me , it's terrible .
I had real hopes about halting the hairloss and seeing some improvement , I spent hours reading testimonials , websites and publications ... for nothing .

I'm going the hair system route now , I hope it will go well and that those things aren't too detectable .

It's going to take a lot of time for me to recover from all this , if I ever do ...

Damn I cried hard writing this .

Pyro

Established Member
Reaction score
feel your pain man... not much i can recommend or say to you only that I understand what you're going through. i'm only 21 and my hair is thinning crazily. I would definitly go the wig route if i had the money. They're just too damn expansive! The look i would have with a wig would be incredible lol. Anyway, good luck man...

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Preston, which type of Alopecia do you have? Androgenetic? Have you tried topical DHT inhibitors?

Preston

Reaction score
@Pyro : a few hundred bucks for 6 months or so is expensive but not that much , but I understand some people can't afford it .

@Ripple-effect : I have what I call a diffuse shedding , like this guy I saw on baldingblog , first time I see someone with a similar pattern , the difference is that I receeded on one side mostly then it stopped and continued in a diffuse manner
http://www.baldingblog.com/2011/08/03/am-i-losing-my-hair-or-am-i-going-crazy/

If you would see me in the street at first you would never guess I'm loosing hair , this could allow me to shift to a hair system without people noticing it , I would just have to say I cut my hair and changed hairstyle ( if hair systems really look good , wich I have doubts about )

@Fred the Belgian ( you ain't far from me :) )
I definitely think I won't tell anyone about it .
In your opinion as you can see one everyday ( or so ) are hair systems really undetectable ? I have some doubts about this .
I would go directly for a full cap I think. For the reason I stated above , my hair still looks normal ( almost) so I can't shave it and take measurements for a topper ...

And thanks all for the encouragement

Preston

Reaction score
Thanks , appreciated ...

Regarding topical DHT inhibitors , I use spironolactone but it doesn't do much and I havent' seen anything else that seems conclusive ,
Topical finasteride isn't proven to work as far as I know
And RU is .... well , made in china by some obscure company , I've considered it but I never could really take a decision

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Think Fred's advice is very good in this thread.

Good luck to you with the wig route. I tried it but I was far too paranoid to settle for it - I only lasted 12hrs with one on.

They can look good though, I just don't think I have the 'pesonality' to wear one.

My advice would be, choose this route and follow it through and as hard as it may, try to forget about your hairloss. Once you've stuck the wig on your head, forget it and go enjoy life. Sonds like you have beaten yourself up for a while and felt down, time for you to enjoy life.

All the best bud.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spironolactone is all you tried? I always hear people not noticing any results with spironolactone. Have you tried minoxidil with natural topical DHT inhibitor?

check out this post:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68078

Has anyone here ever heard a success story with someone using spironolactone?