Getting Started. Salon Vs Do It All Myself Recommends

Whisper

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello from Michigan. I recently went to the only salon in my area who specializes in hair systems. I was quoted $750 for stock system french w poly sides/back. Plus $150 cut in and $90 for monthly servicing. I dont mind biting the bullet once or twice if I absolutely had to but its not sustainable long term at these rates. My intention is to do it all myself eventually. I've been cutting my own hair for 30 years (simple high military fade pushed forward and or to the side) but I'm not super confident I should try jumping in at this without being taught properly. If anyone knows a great salon or best place to start in Michigan area that would be awesome. Im retired so I'm more than willing to travel several hours if necessary. Thanks.

Whisper

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me tell you my experience since I recently got into this world.

I did not do a whole lot of research which is so unlike me. Honestly, I saw these TikTok videos (yes I’m 35 years old and I watch TikTok!) of men getting hairpieces and it looked so uhhh what’s the word... modern? It did not look like what I think of when I envision a toupee, wig, hairpiece.

I immediately called the company that this certain guy was promoting to find someone local who supplied that brand and found one an hour away. I spent right at $1000 for everything which I will tell you right now is very high, butttttt honestly I don’t regret it because it got me into seeing the behind the scenes of what I was trying to learn to do myself. I honestly think it was worth it at first just to see it in real action. I have had my unit 2 months and although it did not start out smooth at all (bad first unit), I have learned so much from the members here (huge shout out to Noah) which has given me the confidence to do all the maintenance myself for the last month. I don’t know even with Noah and the forums help if I would have felt as confident if I had not seen my salon do it a few times first.

I can tell you now after only 2 months I am going to order my own unit next and have a remote cut in and save myself about $700 for literally the same thing I get locally.

I hope this somewhat helps. I just wanted to give you my perspective since I was in the exact same boat you are in now.

It was so overwhelming to me at first trying to learn everything and I still learn everyday something new.

Good luck with it all. It really is not as daunting as it may seem eight now.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me tell you my experience since I recently got into this world.

I did not do a whole lot of research which is so unlike me. Honestly, I saw these TikTok videos (yes I’m 35 years old and I watch TikTok!) of men getting hairpieces and it looked so uhhh what’s the word... modern? It did not look like what I think of when I envision a toupee, wig, hairpiece.

I immediately called the company that this certain guy was promoting to find someone local who supplied that brand and found one an hour away. I spent right at $1000 for everything which I will tell you right now is very high, butttttt honestly I don’t regret it because it got me into seeing the behind the scenes of what I was trying to learn to do myself. I honestly think it was worth it at first just to see it in real action. I have had my unit 2 months and although it did not start out smooth at all (bad first unit), I have learned so much from the members here (huge shout out to Noah) which has given me the confidence to do all the maintenance myself for the last month. I don’t know even with Noah and the forums help if I would have felt as confident if I had not seen my salon do it a few times first.

I can tell you now after only 2 months I am going to order my own unit next and have a remote cut in and save myself about $700 for literally the same thing I get locally.

I hope this somewhat helps. I just wanted to give you my perspective since I was in the exact same boat you are in now.

It was so overwhelming to me at first trying to learn everything and I still learn everyday something new.

Good luck with it all. It really is not as daunting as it may seem eight now.

I did something the same. I currently get remote cut-ins, but she is rushing it. I can tell. Who are
you going to use for your remote cut in?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did something the same. I currently get remote cut-ins, but she is rushing it. I can tell. Who are
you going to use for your remote cut in?
Debbie? That’s really the only person I have that read does the remote cut-ins. Have you used anyone else?

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Debbie? That’s really the only person I have that read does the remote cut-ins. Have you used anyone else?
I have only used Debbie. She is good, but I can tell my last piece was rushed. I can fix it myself...but still, she is an expert in the field and if she just took her time a little it would be perfect.

Whisper

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. What is remote cut in? I assume where you send it to her and they cut it while its not on top of your dome?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. What is remote cut in? I assume where you send it to her and they cut it while its not on top of your dome?
Correct.

I see she comes recommended from several retailers and members of the forum so I assumed she was great. When I’m ready for her to do it I’ll just remember to give her clear directions of what I want. I’m apprehensive about it because I just can’t understand how someone could do something like that remotely and have it blended into your own hair, but I’ve heard it just works!

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been wearing a system for right at two years now. I am still using a salon. Between getting the system cut in remotely and the entire process of cleaning and reattaching - I just can't see me mastering the process and still get the results I have now.

Prior to Covid, I was in a high visibility position - and I would do a lot of training presentations. Now, I'm not doing that task any longer, and with all of our issues with supply, now may be a good time to consider trying to master this myself. I'm not terribly dexterous and that is where I doubt my ability. The removal, scalp prep - I think I got that part down pat.

As for starting off right from jump street as a DIY - I don't really know how your are setting yourself up for success. If nothing else, do the upfront program, and negotiate something with an additional system so you can really see how it works - the cleaning, scalp prep, cutting the bio hair, and pressing the system in place, that is where I doubt my abilities.

please keep us informed on how it goes. I wish you the best of luck.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct.

I see she comes recommended from several retailers and members of the forum so I assumed she was great. When I’m ready for her to do it I’ll just remember to give her clear directions of what I want. I’m apprehensive about it because I just can’t understand how someone could do something like that remotely and have it blended into your own hair, but I’ve heard it just works!
You will, more than likely, have to do some tweaking on your own using blending shears.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
were these custom units you are doing remote cut ins?? how does the remote cut in work for the stock unit?? because everyone's head shape n baldness will be different

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just purchased a unit from Hollywood Lace today (because they are the only ones that had what I needed in stock) and I purchased the remote cut in option from them. He asked me the hair measurements that I wanted and I told him I would rather just send in a picture if what I wanted. He kept advising me that it may not be accurate if I do that, but I’m not too concerned if the hair length is not dead on as long as it’s fairly close to the style.

I’ll let you know how it goes with it.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes many companies offer a cut service, such as
https://www.superhairpieces.com/hairpiece-styling/
But not sure of end result. ..with covid, I have started to do my own cutting. ..I .used a retired piece as template and purchased manequin head along thining shear and razor shears...getting better with practiced.