Getting off finasteride to have a kid- how long?

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 25 and just started finasteride 2 weeks ago- just thinking in the future here, how long would you want to get off finasteride before trying to conceive? Would it be a short enough window so that when you get back on finasteride, you can still keep what's there? I'd love to hear the consensus on this one

hoju

Reaction score
I don't think there is a scientific opinion on this. Merck states that males can conceive while on it. Female direct exposure is an issue. Personally I came off it for 12 months to be doubly sure. I have no issues with finasteride sides effects (temporary or permanent) to myself but could not take on any issues to my kids.

note that all comments you receive will be personally view points based on each persons emotional stance on this matter.

you will have to man up and make up your own mind.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a scientific opinion on this. Merck states that males can conceive while on it. Female direct exposure is an issue. Personally I came off it for 12 months to be doubly sure. I have no issues with finasteride sides effects (temporary or permanent) to myself but could not take on any issues to my kids.

note that all comments you receive will be personally view points based on each persons emotional stance on this matter.

you will have to man up and make up your own mind.

In terms of the hair loss, how was that 12 months? After getting back on, were you able to get similar hair to before you got off it? Or lost a lot more