Generic Propecia in mid 2006?

anonyone

Reaction score
I'm 22 and have been been slowly receding for about a year. I've been doing research and I think Propecia is the way to go. I notice that the Generic propecia made in India is in violation of US patent laws.

I looked up the patent expiry date for proscar and it looks like the date is June 19, 2006! Have any companies announced plans to sell generic finasteride as soon as the patent runs out?

G

Are you gonna wait till then (July 2006) ?

Those generic ones work fine and are as good as propecia as long as you buy it from a legitimate source...

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
inthebeaumonde said:
I'm 22 and have been been slowly receding for about a year. I've been doing research and I think Propecia is the way to go. I notice that the Generic propecia made in India is in violation of US patent laws.

I looked up the patent expiry date for proscar and it looks like the date is June 19, 2006! Have any companies announced plans to sell generic finasteride as soon as the patent runs out?

That just means they can't sell it in the US. If they could you would still need a prescription. You can still buy generics online w/o a scrip so do so if you wish.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Well, let's be clear. India does not recognize US patent law (common theft), and US companies can't readily enforce protected rights there. India is very much a developing nation and not "ready for prime time" if you will.

There may not be anything wrong with the Indian stuff...but the premium for the "real thing" is negligible on a per-dose basis. IMO, it's worth it not to worry about from whence it came......plus, no US doctor is going to prescribe grey market goods from Cipla or Dr. Reddy's...seriously.

Dinzy said:
inthebeaumonde said:

That just means they can't sell it in the US. If they could you would still need a prescription. You can still buy generics online w/o a scrip so do so if you wish.

anonyone

Reaction score
That's why I think I'm going to see a doctor and see if I can get a real propecia prescription, but now I'm confident that at least USA-made generics have the potential to come out next year.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Good for you...IMO you are doing the right thing. You'll feel good knowing you've gone to your doctor. I'm not sure why a lot of guys are afraid to do that.

inthebeaumonde said:
That's why I think I'm going to see a doctor and see if I can get a real propecia prescription, but now I'm confident that at least USA-made generics have the potential to come out next year.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
to save money what you can do is to ask for proscar from your doctor. that what i going to do after i finish my my propecia. it cost almost 2time as much as proscar. imagine the money i can save if i know this eariler..

Britannia

Reaction score
inthebeaumonde said:
I looked up the patent expiry date for proscar and it looks like the date is June 19, 2006!

Merck will simply renew the patent, the same way you renew your car insurance :roll:

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Private Ryan said:
to save money what you can do is to ask for proscar from your doctor. that what i going to do after i finish my my propecia. it cost almost 2time as much as proscar. imagine the money i can save if i know this eariler..

You can ask but your Doctor but he will probably give you a lecture about how that's insurance fraud...because it is. No decent doctor will presribe you proscar...they could lose their medical license im pretty sure. But i guess its worth a shot. I tried.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
No, insurance fraud occurs only if you try to claim the medication as a covered expense when it's not one. What you're referring to is claiming the expense of Proscar used for male pattern baldness under the pretense that it's for something like BPH (for which it was orignally intended, and generally covered by insurance). That, indeed, is fraud.

Most insurance companies do not cover hair loss treatment (i.e., Propecia). Similarly, they don't cover Proscar in the off-label treatment of male pattern baldness. However, that doesn't change the fact that the burden cost of Proscar is STILL much less expensive than Propecia. In other words, if you're ethical, you'll pay 100% for either drug. In this fashion, Proscar is by far the least expensive per-dose of the two in any comparison.

This has nothing to do with insurance.

Fallout Boy said:
[quote="Private Ryan":543ca]to save money what you can do is to ask for proscar from your doctor. that what i going to do after i finish my my propecia. it cost almost 2time as much as proscar. imagine the money i can save if i know this eariler..

You can ask but your Doctor but he will probably give you a lecture about how that's insurance fraud...because it is. No decent doctor will presribe you proscar...they could lose their medical license im pretty sure. But i guess its worth a shot. I tried.[/quote:543ca]

Bono

Reaction score
Britannia said:
Merck will simply renew the patent, the same way you renew your car insurance :roll:
How does that differ from the other prescription drugs that have gone generic? There are thousands. The company just didn't renew the patent for them? If so why not?

Bono

Britannia

Reaction score
Bono said:
Britannia said:
How does that differ from the other prescription drugs that have gone generic? There are thousands. The company just didn't renew the patent for them? If so why not?

Bono

Because at the moment it is still commercially viable for Merck to renew the patent.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Britannia said:
Bono said:
Britannia said:

Bono

Because at the moment it is still commercially viable for Merck to renew the patent.

No, Merck cannot renew the patent. They've had their patent protection and it will expire in June 2006. Even if they "change" the composition of the product, it would have to be very novel for patent protection to continue on the changed product. Same for metabolites of the drug and "other" uses of the drug.

The patent on finasteride. will expire in June 2006. Manufacturers can submit applications to the FDA to produce generic versions 180 days before a patent expires. That' so they can have a generic product available when the patent expires.

I'm sure Merck will be producing a generic version of finasteride. after their patent expires.

Here's an excerpt from the US Patent Office.

The term of the patent shall be generally 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States or, if the application contains a specific reference to an earlier filed application under 35 U.S.C. 120, 121 or 365(c), from the date of the earliest such application was filed, and subject to the payment of maintenance fees as provided by law. A maintenance fee is due 3 1/2, 7 1/2 and 11 1/2 years after the original grant for all patents issuing from the applications filed on and after December 12, 1980. The maintenance fee must be paid at the stipulated times to maintain the patent in force. After the patent has expired anyone may make, use, offer for sale, or sell or import the invention without permission of the patentee, provided that matter covered by other unexpired patents is not used

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe then everyone will stop ordering and ingesting crap like Finpecia and Fincar.

misterium

Reaction score
^ why is it crap?

it's finasteride.

is finasteride crap?

i like finasteride. it helps me.

Britannia

Reaction score
not me! said:
Maybe then everyone will stop ordering and ingesting crap like Finpecia and Fincar.

Yes I agree. How dare people take high quality (and Cipla ARE a high quality pharmaceutical company) medication which is actually made in country other than the US? How crazy can people be!

The Bald Beach Boy

Reaction score
I am going to order some finasteride very soon and generics are the only way I'll be able to afford it comfortably.
Someone put my mind at rest please. Finpecia and Fincar are the same as Propecia aren't they? I'm not going to be able to pay for it if I have to pay out £50 a month for the real thing.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Bald Beach Boy said:
I am going to order some finasteride very soon and generics are the only way I'll be able to afford it comfortably.
Someone put my mind at rest please. Finpecia and Fincar are the same as Propecia aren't they? I'm not going to be able to pay for it if I have to pay out £50 a month for the real thing.

yes they are the same if the active infregients are legitimate..

Hawaii male

Established Member
Reaction score
Hell...

Im using Finpecia, just currently changed from merck to cipla. I dont notice a difference at all except looks.