Galvatron's story (Confusing situation PLEASE HELP.)

Galvatron

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been lurking for the past few days and reading up as much as I can. However I haven't found any answers to what I'm experiencing, only possible leads.

I am a senior at Penn State, 22, with no genetic history of male pattern baldness on either side of the family 2 generations back. My father has a full head of hair, although slightly thin, its still 100% coverage with a normal hair line. My mom has a full head, and her 4 brothers all have very thick hair. My grandparents on my dad's side still have full heads of hair, and my grandparents on my mom's side both died with full heads.

Here is my situation. About 10 months ago, I started a 6 month internship at Bristol-Myers Squibb. About a month into it my girlfriend and I had an absolutely massive falling out. We were together for 3 years. I was extremely stressed out over a 3 month period which ended with our reconciliation. So much so that I had several panic attacks and vomited occasionally because of it. My mom visited me during my internship and noticed alot of hair in the sink and on the bottom of the tub. I had also noticed alot of shedding. At the time i was uneducated in hairloss and thought it was just alot of shedding from the stress, nothing more.

The internship ended in december and I let my hair grow for a couple of months just because I didn't feel like getting it cut. About 2 weeks ago I got a haircut and noticed that I could see my scalp where I normally didnt notice it. My hairline hasn't moved at all and I've even compared it to pictures a year ago. When I get out of the shower its quite noticable and looks alot like the diffuse alopecia pictures I have seen. Specifically this one: http://www.alopeciacure.com/type/defuse_07.jpg but not quite that thin. http://www.alopeciacure.com/type/androg ... female.jpg is certainly the closest looking to what I see, even though it is a woman's head.

I'm freaking out because I dont know if its male pattern baldness, Telogen Effluvium, or what. The sides and back are also noticably thinner, but not nearly as much as the top to front of the scalp. All the accounts of Telogen Effluvium that I've read suggest that alot of hairs come out quite quickly. Mine seemed to be more than normal gradually for several months. My hair isnt comming out anymore, and for the last couple months has been shedding normally but I havn't seen much regrowth except what looks like inch-inch&1/2 hairs jutting out of my hairline. There are also a few disbursed throughout the thinned areas, but they're hard to distinguish because they seem finer at the tip of the hair,

Does this sound like Telogen Effluvium or Diffuce Alopecia?

Here is a picture that shows my before hair almost exactly 1 year ago. Pardon my girlfriend's piggyback ride.

319836216gFvaMQ_ph.jpg

Sorry for being so longwinded, I just wanted to be a thorough as possible so you guys dont find yourself asking more questions than you have answers.

I am so thankful I found this board. I just want my Pierce Brosnan hair back!!!!

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
We can't tell from a photo, you need to see a reputable dermatologist, maybe consider your diet, but don't start taking the drugs and lotions which us pioneers of deminaturisation list in our regimens until you begin to see a classic Norwood pattern. ie. if your crown starts to go thin, then the front and sides. Don't shave it all off, or go for a transplant or see an unqualified tricologist, of which there are many. There are all kinds of silly treatments and rip off merchants. However, if your folicles are suffering from inflammation I would suggest a good Emu Oil, only from Australia though as other geographical sources just don't have the same chemical complexity, due to the unique eco background. Good luck.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey, i used to get panic attacks as well...it is when they first began that i woke up one morning to find tons of hair on my pillow..from then on, it was a constant cycle of trying to control my anxieties all the while thinking they would make me bald, but then only served to cause more panic attacks.

that said, i am convinced that panic attacks and terrible anxiety cause hair loss. However, if its permanent or not is the million dollar question. According to many resources, it isnt permanent type of hair loss..however, the androgens released during panic attacks when your hands are shaking and your hearts beating out of ur chest are probably equivalent to injecting steroids. (i have no medical basis for that sstatement though). So who truly knows. I do know that anxiety changed my hair, the texture especially almost what seemed like overnight.

The docs told me it was Telogen Effluvium, but i dont really know. it hasnt gotten worse since i recovered, but then again i was expecting it to be perfect again which i cant say has happened. See a doctor.