Fue to fill in a bald/thin spot

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've buzzed my hair down to a very, very short length. Thankfully, it suits me. I have the right shaped head, decent physique and a reasonably handsome face. I'm not claiming to be gorgeous or anything but I'm doing okay in the looks department and buzzing my hair off hasn't really changed that.

What sucks is my crown is fairly visible now. It's not a totally bald patch but it's an area significantly thinner than the sides and front located at the top of my head. The easiest example I can give is Zinedine Zidane but it's nowhere near as drastic as his - smaller and there are still hairs there, it's not slick bald.

I'm hoping that the area will perhaps thicken up as minoxidil can get to it easier, and now I've stopped pissing about with styling some hair might grow back a bit stronger and more visible, but I'm not sure. My hairline is fine, a bit of a M shaped widows peak but nothing that causes me real concern and hasn't progressed at all really since I started losing my hair noticeably at around 18/19 (I'm nearly 25 now).

Basically, I was wondering if maybe fue (can't do strip as I buzz it so short scars would be obvious) would be a good method to thicken it up and appear less monk-like. As I'm buzzing my hair so short anyway the Doctor could be quite liberal with where the grafts go not needing 100% coverage everywhere because scalp will always be visible when buzzing on a grade 1/2, and hopefully this bald/thin patch will appear much less bald looking. I don't mind if there's still areas a bit thin, and that scalp is visible seeing as I buzz it so short and am comfortable with this look, I'd just like it to appear a bit thicker and as if buzzing it is more of a choice than a necessity.

(though I'd probably buzz anyway if I did have a full head of hair. Long, styled hair is well and cool but often makes you look like a self obsessed poseur).

Any help/advice would be awesome. cheers

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
So nobody has experiened of this sort of thing? I know most surgical methods are more at the front to lower the hairline, but my hairline seems fine and if I continue on meds shouldn't be a problem. Fue to fill in some of my crown or reduce the thinning area seems like a good idea really.

I suppose I could go for strip and perhaps tattoo over the scar, but I'd rather not. I buzz it very short at the moment

JJ09

Reaction score
Generally there is no visible scarring from FUE, which is great if you like the buzzed look, just plan for future loss.

Strip/Tattoo…bad Idea, I have tattooed my scars to hide them and I have permanent sensitivity to touch. :thumbdown2:

Hiker

Established Member
Reaction score
I would be hesitatnt to use donor hair in the crown at a young age. You started losing at a young age which means you will probably lose at least part of your hairline and behind it at some point. Save your donor for the transplant you will need in your 30's and 40's.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll try get a picture up in a few days. Basically, it's an area that isn't slick bald but thin. I've let the hairs there grow reasonably long, buzzing the rest of my head so whilst the thinning is evident, it doesn't look too bad and looks like a thin spot rather than bald spot. I'd just either like to thinken that area further or make it a smaller area overall.

As such, I think if I did Fue I wouldn't need to take a HUGE amount. I'm not looking for full coverage as it'd be unrealistic, and I would like to save some donor for the future perhaps. Just make it that bit less noticeable and so when people do see it, it doesn't come across as a big deal.

I'm nearly 25 which isn't that young really, and when I'm in my 30s or 40s it wouldn't be unrealistic to think perhaps HM will be available by then.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If its only thin and not slick bald, why not just Rogaine it? A surgical procedure seems pretty drastic for what you describe IMO.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
Already on minoxidil. And finasteride, though I've stopped for a bit as I had sides (was taking 2.5mg, going to 1.25 when libido gets back to where it should be).

May try Xandrox 15% though