FUE on Temples only? Is that possible?

receder21

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a full head of hair everywhere on top of my head except for my temples. My right temple is especially bald, thus any hair style I have I look ridiculous in because of the right temple.Is it possible to only get FUEs done just for my temples? What are the repercussions down the line if I only get a hair transplant on my temples? Thanks again.

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Rassman refers to this as the two horns look.Or set up to look like a freak in his inteview.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
receder21 said:
Hello everyone,

I have a full head of hair everywhere on top of my head except for my temples. My right temple is especially bald, thus any hair style I have I look ridiculous in because of the right temple.Is it possible to only get FUEs done just for my temples? What are the repercussions down the line if I only get a hair transplant on my temples? Thanks again.

There are no repercussions if you have the money to have more transplants later down the road and have plenty of donor hair.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I recently had just my temples done (Well about 80% temples and the rest to improve and blend my hairline).

No complaints what-so-ever, over the moon in fact.

As it happens I'm going back to see the surgeon tomorrow for a check-up and to discuss a possible additional final transplant.

D

receder21

Reaction score
GeminiX, would getting FUEs on the temples cause shock fallout on the nearby surrounding hairs. Would getting FUEs over FUSS be better just for the temples? Thanks again.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I honestly cannot say, it appears to be different for everyone.

Speaking from my own experience (Strip graft) and from the several people I know who have been to the same surgeon (And have had a variety of procedures), I am happy to say it's simply never happened, at least nothing at all noticeable.

There are some people who claim that their hair has fallen out like a mangy dogs in the summertime, but none that I know personally.

Bottom line is find a reputable surgeon, speak to people who have actually had the procedure and don't believe half the nonsense you read on the internet; there are so many hidden agendas. Do your own research, legwork and investigations and set realistic expectations for yourself.

What you want is certainly do-able, but I would be wary of further recession leaving with you with a bald moat around your temples.

D

G

Guys, remember one thing. male pattern baldness is a life-long disease and is very progressive especially with age. That's why any hair transplant patient is strongly encouraged to consider not only their ultimate loss potential but also their own donor limitations based on their individual density in terms of available FUs for current AND future procedures. GeminiX makes a good point of this by referring to the "moats" or what I like to call little "islands" of hair left behind as your temporal recession progresses. You're then committed to future procedures as you chase the never-ending receding. So setting "realistic" expectations over a lifetime is very important saving donor for the future. :wink:

Yes FUE may be a more desirable technique to approach an initial small session. The drawback? Cost. The other option is to wait until you need a larger session and then possibly choose a FUT procedure with a talented and competent surgeon.

BTW, are you by chance thinning a little in the mid-scalp and/or crown? Are you taking Propecia? Best wishes.

G

OOPS. Forgot about the shockloss concerns. As was previously stated it does vary patient-to-patient and can unequivically be rated on a bell curve.

In application theory though not always as exact in actual experience, the approach is considered as follows. The smaller the microscopic recipient incisions are, the fewer incisions that are made, the more adequate spacing is done, the less overall trauma to the scalp results. The less trauma, the less shockloss or better stated "less potential" of shockloss. So if a patient has a fair amount of hair within or near the recipient site, yes shockloss can occur. And even more critical is the patient with alot of "diffused" hair within or near the recipient site. Typically that debilitated hair does not come back! So a smaller session, getting on Propecia prior to surgery, things like that can help to minimize massive shockloss.

receder21

Reaction score
Thanks gillenator for your replies. I learned alot from them. My crown and mid scalp is still going strong because I switched over to Avodart last year after having been on Propecia for a long time. Propecia kept what hair I had up until last year but never grew back my temples. My temples are the only aspect of my scalp that has been getting worse instead of maintaining since I have started on the medications to fight hair loss. However my front is still a little thin but it was always like that just maybe not as thin as it is now. I was always under the assumption that FUEs cost more because it didnt cause scarring and allowed you to shave your head in the future, if you choose to. So have I been wrong for assuming those two aspects of FUEs? The big worry for me was if I get FUEs on the temples...it would cause me to lose my hair up front, which is my biggest worry because I have thin hair up front alredy. From the replies I have received thus far, I guess its all a crap shoot to whether or not I will lose hair.

G

receder21,

You are welcome :wink: .

Make no mistake about it. Ask any honest ethical surgeon within any field of medicine and they will tell you that anytime a cut, incision, laceration, etc is made into flesh tissue, the body will formate a scar in it's healing process. The real question is "how visible is the scar or scarring" after complete healing occurs to the wound. There have been some hair transplant surgeons specializing in these isolated extraction methods, namely in the US who have irresponsibly referred to their FUE techniques as "scarless" or even "touchless"! They then became rather loosely used terms by us lay people. Don't be fooled by this at all. Docs who use this loose terminology are solely doing it for marketing purposes. It catches one's attention does it not?

Yes I have physically seen smaller isolated extraction cases over the past several years and in some instances it was very hard to detect where the extractions were taken even when the patient had his donor area shaved post-op. In other words I was viewing a completely healed area without the lingering redness that can take longer to dissipate. Still there were smaller cases where I "could" tell. Everybody heals differently. There can be lingering redness that can last over a year or longer.

In the same breath let me also state that I have seen a very moth-eaten appearance again where the donor area was shaved after complete healing. The sites where the extractions were taken looked like little white dots or spots. One of the differentials were the larger cases of 1500 grafts or larger sessions. I can go and literally locate where the FUs were extracted. But I also know what to look for. Possibly the average person would not notice it as much. It also depends how close the FUE surgeon extracts the FUs from each other. The more the extractions were spread out, the less noticable the "spotty" appearance.

Probably the reason you did not find efficiency in your hairline with Propecia (finasteride) is because Propecia does not claim any efficiency in the front-scalp, only the mid-scalp and crown. The data is all in their clinical trials. However if you find Avodart (dutasteride) to work better results, then I wish you well. From my understanding finasteride only inhibits Type I DHT, not Type II.

Since you are not thinning yet in the mid-scalp and crown, quite possibly you are in the "A" class of receding on the Norwood scale. This pattern is a gradual recession and loss of one's frontal zone and eventually works its way back towards the mid-scalp and crown. Either way, see if you can go get examined by a hair transplant doctor or derm who utilizes a densometer to examine the caliper of your hair in the mid and crown. They will look for signs of "miniturization" (loss of caliper) which is evidence that DHT is adversly affecting those areas of scalp. Utilizing a video telescope works even better to note any miniturization of your hair shafts. Take care man.