FUE for diffuse thinning

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been diffuse thinning at a slow rate since I was 21, I'm now approaching 28. Last year I finally decided to do something about it and got on minoxidil and finasteride. I stopped minoxidil after 5 months as I did not see any regrowth and also because I did not want to continue putting it in my hair for life.
The finasteride seems to be working well, I haven't seen any further loss since this time last year.

I'm happy enough with my hairline but want to add density all over my scalp.
I've attached a photo of my situation and was wondering if you guys could advise me on whether or not a hair translant would be good for this type of balding. And also how many grafts would you say are needed to get a good look?

Attachments

• P1010164.JPG
    P1010164.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13,495
  • P1010165.JPG
    P1010165.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 10,394

nw_2

Reaction score
I would use a concealer (toppik) for the time being and would wait. You barely need much, 15 seconds and I think you are done.

I dont understand why you quit with minoxidil. You say you dont want to use this for the rest of your life, but that's the case with everything. 5 months is also a small sample size and minoxidil is a great topical to stable hairloss too, much more than regrowth.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I agree with such a small amount of hairloss its possible surgery could make you look worse (shockloss). You'd be better at sticking to treatments and using a little nanogen. Much easier and cheaper than resorting to surgery.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not a small amount, when you see it in real life you can tell that it's quite bad, I have a thickish front, then there's a thin bit, then a thickish middle and finally a thin crown.

With the minoxidil I noticed some side effects, my left hand\wrist became hairier because I was using that to rub it in. I also noticed a bit of hair growing around my forehead area. Plus it is a pain to put on, if it gave me great results then sure I would have carried on but for such small benefits I decided to stop. finasteride is another thing altogether, you just cut the pill and have a quarter a day, not time consuming or messy at all.

Why would a transplant be a bad idea? Is this shock loss very common? How many people get it on average?

nw_2

Reaction score
reckless said:
It's not a small amount, when you see it in real life you can tell that it's quite bad, I have a thickish front, then there's a thin bit, then a thickish middle and finally a thin crown.

With the minoxidil I noticed some side effects, my left hand\wrist became hairier because I was using that to rub it in. I also noticed a bit of hair growing around my forehead area. Plus it is a pain to put on, if it gave me great results then sure I would have carried on but for such small benefits I decided to stop. finasteride is another thing altogether, you just cut the pill and have a quarter a day, not time consuming or messy at all.

Why would a transplant be a bad idea? Is this shock loss very common? How many people get it on average?

Minoxidil is time consuming but cutting a fina pil and have a quarter a day is not ?

Minoxidil you put on your head in 10 seconds and done. Especially with your hair style. The side effects are obviously there but IMO not very bad but its not my forehead and wrist. ;) Your decision indeed.

Your situation is clear, thickish front, then there's a thin bit, then a thickish middle and finally a thin crown. That's what we see on the pictures too, still easily solved with toppik or nanogen. You want a transplant ? Do a transplant, with the risk of shockloss. There's not much to discuss actually. :)

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.
After doing some research and watching videos I have now ordered some toppik.
I think it's ideal for hair like mine as there is still plenty of hair for the micro fibres to cling onto.

Hopefully I'll receive it by the end of next week! If it looks convincing then I won't ever think about getting a transplant.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
A hair transplant on a diffuse thinner in his twenties is very risky IMO.

The problem is the shockloss, you could have a transplant and end up looking the same or even worse.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the toppik arrived and I applied it.

It blends really well with my existing hair and covers the thin spots. It helps that I have pure black hair.

I'm thinking to myself why didn't I use this for the past 5 years?

Well I will concentrate on saving my money towards a house from now on.

Thank you all again.

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
I'm glad that all has gone well with Toppik. Keep up the finasteride and use the Toppik and things should be good. Congrats!

Jamind

Reaction score
Dr. Feller's costs are found here.

Yes, FUE with a world class surgeon is much more expensive due to the length of the procedure and the the extra staff that are required to successfully complete the procedure. Dr. Feller only does one day sessions and places a limit on the number of FUE grafts that can be done in one session; he has placed these limitations for very good reasons. For more information I suggest you either contact him using the form provided on his website or visit Spex's website, who represents both Dr. Feller and Dr. Lindsey, and contact him.

FUE is not necessarily you only option, this will depend on donor density and scalp laxity.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped taking the finasteride for 18 months as I thought it may have been leading to this other big health issue I had. My hair did get quite worse. But I still have an almost perfect hairline. So I've buzzed it all down to a number 1 and it looks decent. You can still tell the difference between the thick areas and the thin but it's not too bad.

My hair is a bit like Zidane's except I have more at the crown but less in the mid scalp. I also have the high cheekbones like him lol. Having my hairline and temple points intact mean that my face is still framed.

I've started the finasteride again because I've realised that it wasn't the cause of my health issues. I'm also trying minoxidil again and think it might work better on an extremely short haircut like I have now as more will reach the scalp.

I stopped the toppik/nanogen as my hair got thinner and I needed to use more and more to the point it was getting ridiculous.

I also realised that it never looked completely natural. Sure in the mirror at home it looked fine but in the barber shop under harsh lighting you could see that I had something on my hair. I examined the hair on the floor of the barber shop and again I could tell something was in it.

I remember going to the doctor once for ear pain once and she had to touch my head, I can only imagine what she thought after looking at her hands after, lol. You will eventually get into a situation where you are found out like a dentist's chair or resting your head on a big aeroplane seat.

Looking back I think it's ok for certain occasions like on a night out but not everyday. This is just my experience, if it works for you then all the better.