FUE 4000-4800 grafts

DTunes

Reaction score
Good evening! I am fairly new on this forum and wanted to share my story with you guys.

I made the decision to undergo FUE surgery a few months ago and the big day is approaching as are the nerves growing.

My alopecia started when i was 18/19 years of age and was a big hit to my selfestime as I had always had long curly hair and it was part of my "identity" I guess and my crown had always been quite thin. On top of that, I have a triple crown and fine hair so these factors haven´t helped whatsoever.

I started using minoxidil when i turned 22 (I am now 27) and continued for a year combining it with nizoral and this only seemed to worsen the matter so I stopped.

A couple of years later I tried with Finas for a couple of months and had problems both with my semen and erections and decided to stop, for good.

Two years ago I decided to shave it all off very short and combine it with Dermmatch, which has been a battle too as I have had to be consistently aware of it incase it came off or smeared and not staining pillows when staying over at my partners house or even lying on the sofa, getting up before anyone to run to the bathroom and touch it up first thing in the morning... I tried minoxidil again for a year and no results. For me, the situation really came to a head and I started looking into the possibility of a FUE transplant.

I spoke with two experts. One told me that my donor area was fine and you could easily extract between 5000-5500 (2500 each session) and this would completely solve my problem. Another told me that my donor area was poor and a maximum of 4000 could be extracted and possibly 800 from my beard (which concerns me as i always leave my beard longish). After speaking to the latter in more depth, I decided to take the leap of faith.

My concerns are that my donor area is worse than expected. I fear that 2 years of shaving it to 1mm every three days could have damaged it even more as I don´t remember my hair being this thin 2 years ago when I had it this length. Is this possible?

My hopes are to continue to be able to shave the sides and back shortish and leave the top longer and reconstruct my hairline at the front, but the longer my hair grows as I approach the intervention, the thinner and less optimistic I become. Granted, it is still very short, but other donor areas I have seen at this length look far thicker than mine. In addition, my hair was shorter than now when I was assessed for the operation.

Here are some different photos from the past month:

DSC_0342.JPGDSC_0383.JPGDSC_0394.JPGDSC_0396.JPGIMG_20160205_135858.JPGIMG_20160205_145410.JPG

It would be great to hear your thoughts and any advice as I feel very nervous and have doubts about what outcome to expect from the transplant. Thanks in advance :)

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good evening! I am fairly new on this forum and wanted to share my story with you guys.

I made the decision to undergo FUE surgery a few months ago and the big day is approaching as are the nerves growing.

My alopecia started when i was 18/19 years of age and was a big hit to my selfestime as I had always had long curly hair and it was part of my "identity" I guess and my crown had always been quite thin. On top of that, I have a triple crown and fine hair so these factors haven´t helped whatsoever.

I started using minoxidil when i turned 22 (I am now 27) and continued for a year combining it with nizoral and this only seemed to worsen the matter so I stopped.

A couple of years later I tried with Finas for a couple of months and had problems both with my semen and erections and decided to stop, for good.

Two years ago I decided to shave it all off very short and combine it with Dermmatch, which has been a battle too as I have had to be consistently aware of it incase it came off or smeared and not staining pillows when staying over at my partners house or even lying on the sofa, getting up before anyone to run to the bathroom and touch it up first thing in the morning... I tried minoxidil again for a year and no results. For me, the situation really came to a head and I started looking into the possibility of a FUE transplant.

I spoke with two experts. One told me that my donor area was fine and you could easily extract between 5000-5500 (2500 each session) and this would completely solve my problem. Another told me that my donor area was poor and a maximum of 4000 could be extracted and possibly 800 from my beard (which concerns me as i always leave my beard longish). After speaking to the latter in more depth, I decided to take the leap of faith.

My concerns are that my donor area is worse than expected. I fear that 2 years of shaving it to 1mm every three days could have damaged it even more as I don´t remember my hair being this thin 2 years ago when I had it this length. Is this possible?

My hopes are to continue to be able to shave the sides and back shortish and leave the top longer and reconstruct my hairline at the front, but the longer my hair grows as I approach the intervention, the thinner and less optimistic I become. Granted, it is still very short, but other donor areas I have seen at this length look far thicker than mine. In addition, my hair was shorter than now when I was assessed for the operation.

Here are some different photos from the past month:

View attachment 39206View attachment 39207View attachment 39208View attachment 39209View attachment 39210View attachment 39211

It would be great to hear your thoughts and any advice as I feel very nervous and have doubts about what outcome to expect from the transplant. Thanks in advance :)

That's pretty large for your first FUE. Which doctor are you going with? If you're already concerned with your donor density, what will you do if it fails?

resu

Reaction score
Don't go with one of those "hairline" docs, get someone to fill in the mid-scalp, reinforce the island and save the crown and temples for another time when you're ready for another FUE.

Doing a big session is only asking for trouble and then if something goes bad you can't repair it.

Check FredTheBelgian thread since he also buzzes the head and he did an FUE and he did what I mentioned which is something I would do too, I think it's the best approach than having a thick hairline with thin hair density behind it.

DTunes

Reaction score
That's pretty large for your first FUE. Which doctor are you going with? If you're already concerned with your donor density, what will you do if it fails?

Well, neither doctor seemed concerned, but as my hair is growing I'm starting to see it doesn´t look as thick as it was before. Then again, I'm not an expert so I wondered if anyone else could give me their take on it and the best way of distributing the grafts.

I have my operation in a week with Dr Acar in Microfue. I have spoken to and seen some people with great results from the clinic.

shookwun

Reaction score
Your frontal third alone will take 3000 grafts if it's done properly.

It's so important for the surgeon to work front to back and use what ever is left on the crown.

If you evenly space the grafts out the result is going to look see-through all over.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think your donor area is poor, but 5500 would be needed, so they were both right. You are taking a chance that this works, i don't want to scare you and I hope all goes well. As far as how to place the grafts i would also evenly distribute them front to back except for a minor hairline.

DTunes

Reaction score
I guess that is the question.. either you spread it evenly or prioritise the frontal hairline and work backwards... I don't mind having my hair short and my head is quite round and doesn't have weird lumps and bumps so I guess that is one thing i have going for me.

Do you think I would be able to get it to this length and look good? It is my hair from 3 years ago.

2uxttt1.jpg

I'm currently leaving my hair longer for a better assessment and it is slightly over 1cm i would say right now.

DSC_0412.JPGDSC_0418.JPGDSC_0420.JPG

resu

Reaction score
Your density already looks like you had quite a lot of FUE, I don't know, it looks like nature really wants you to be bald, you may fight it but it looks like you're destined to be very advanced on the Norwood scale.

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say,but donor is very weak.Youare Norwood 6 already,hair transplant will not save you-you wont get enough donor for good result. You might get 5000 via fue but it will definitely thin up donor and lot of hairs could be already damaged with DHT.I would go for hairpiece.Look at my thread.Im nw5 had hair transplant and now I see how much more will I need.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you would benefit from a few more consultations, given the divergent opinions you have had to date.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess that is the question.. either you spread it evenly or prioritise the frontal hairline and work backwards... I don't mind having my hair short and my head is quite round and doesn't have weird lumps and bumps so I guess that is one thing i have going for me.

Do you think I would be able to get it to this length and look good? It is my hair from 3 years ago.

View attachment 39310

I'm currently leaving my hair longer for a better assessment and it is slightly over 1cm i would say right now.

View attachment 39311View attachment 39312View attachment 39313

Here's what I am concerned about with your case - you see the pattern on the back of your head forming? Where it's thinner towards the crown and going down? I have a feeling this is where you will bald in the next decade. They are going to take tons of hair from there and put it wherever. Perhaps even in the hair line. They say it's resistant to androgens, but it's not. It just takes longer. This is one of my concerns with large FUE procedures, and even FUT, if the strip is taken too high up. You see bald dudes all the time that have a bald area that extends down half the back of their head...

- - - Updated - - -

I saw some hair transplant photos once where FUE were harvested from right below a young guys balding crown. I replied with, "do you think that's a safe zone?" and the surgeon so callously answered, "yeah, I think so". I think the dude was like 28 or 29. It's complete bullsh*t to just say, yeah I think it's safe of there. What kind of Doctor has this mentality??!? No, ACTUALLY, the only safe areas are in the lower half of the back of the head, and the sides.

nidhi

Reaction score
Your donor is very weak. you should consult with an expert doctor who will suggest you the best solution for your problem.

Nick1990

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
any update on this? my hair loss is practically similar to yours as is the donor region..

Phoenix07

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And if you are not on anti androgens like finasteride or duta you are wasting your money, the hair wont be reistant to DHT long term even if your doctor thinks it will be. I would take finasteride or duta and minoxidil give it 1 year and then re-assess