Frontal/hairline regrowth - anyone with results?

RogerS

Reaction score
I'm on a couple other message boards, yet this seems to be the most active, so I'd like to know if anyone out there has a simliar situation as mine & has had any results..

I'm 28, and have some temple receding , about a norwood 2. I've previously tried Rogaine 5% with no real results, and currently use Nizoral, Tricomin & Nisim shampos, L-Lysine 500mg pills, Green tea pills, and Crinagen.

Although my situation doesn't seem to be showing the signed on regrowth that I'd like, it does seem to be mroe or less stabalized. I would like to start using Revivogen, or a decent re-growth agent (other than Rogaine).

Has anyone had any success with any particular products in the hairline region? Or with a situation similiar to mine?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Roger

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
How long had you tried minoxidil for? 4-6 months should give you an idea of if it'll work.

Propecia didn't help me in front at all, kept getting worse for 3 years on it. I've had some pretty good regroeth in front from minoxidil over the last year (was seeing results at 2 months). 'Tis my hair's saviour. In a study on minoxidil/frontal loss, it was found to increase frontal scalp coverage for 1/3 of the patients, BTW.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the study, of which I did speak!

"Increased Frontal Scalp Coverage and Frontal Hair Regrowth with 5% and 2% Minoxidil Topical Solution"
Elise A Olsen, M.D.; Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC; David A. Whiting, M.D.; University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX; Jeffrey J. Miller, M.D.; Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA

Frontal and vertex areas of the scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) were assessed and treated in the pivotal clinical studies with 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution. The efficacy and safety of 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution have been demonstrated in target areas on the leading edge of vertex balding in a 48-week, randomized, placebo-controlled study of men with vertex pattern 3, 4, 5, or 6 hair loss based on the Savin Male Pattern
and Density Scale (Olsen et al, 2002, in press).

Patients were instructed to apply 5% or 2% minoxidil topical solution or placebo to the frontal/parietal areas of the scalp twice daily.
In order to assess the effect of 5% and 2% minoxidil on change in frontal/parietal scalp hair coverage, an independent panel of 3 blinded experts retrospectively reviewed photographs of the frontal scalp from patients who participated in this study.

Photographs from 139 patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group, 142 patients in the 2% group, and 71 patients in the placebo group were reviewed and scored to determine changes in scalp coverage and central hair part width.

The photographs consisted of standardized, reproducible, digitized views of Polaroid photographs taken of the superior frontal/parietal scalp at baseline and at weeks 16 and 48. Change from baseline in scalp coverage was measured on a 7-point categorical scale. The
median of the Global Panel Review scores from the 3 independent reviewers was reported.

Scores for patients in both the 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution treatment arms at weeks 16 and 48 indicated significantly greater frontal scalp coverage compared to placebo (p<.001).

Frontal scalp coverage for 33% of patients in the 5% group, 15% in the 2% group, and 6% in the placebo group at week 16 was rated as moderately or greatly increased. At weeks 16
and 48, frontal scalp coverage rating scores were significantly higher for patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group compared with the 2% minoxidil topical solution and placebo groups (p<.001).

The findings of this retrospective analysis provide useful information for clinicians who monitor and treat patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.

wrathchild

Reaction score
so Im on month 8 of minoxidil without any regrowth at all, should I maybe try something stronger like the xandrox lotion or 15%?

RogerS

Reaction score
I used minoxidil for about 15 months. I saw no real re-growth, yet it didn't make things worse. Even when I went off it, I didn't see any problems. I've basically concluded that it wasn't going to work in my situation..

I'd like to avoid Propecia if possible. I'm not sure how much help if would give to just the front/temple region itself, since that's really my only concern.

I've considered Revivogen, has anyone used it in the front, with any decent results? It's somewhat costly & if it's more than likely not going to work, even a bit, I'd prefer not to purchase it. Any opinions?

Roger

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
24 years old at NW1.8. I have had good results with minoxidil regrowing my entire vertex, and maintaining my temples and hairline. Simple regimen: 1ml, twice daily.

XL

wheresmyhair

Reaction score
It took me a while to get on minoxidil, but I finally started 2 months ago. I had good regrowth and thickening with rev and folligen and wanted to kick the temple growth.
I have been using 2% once a day to see how my scalp and body adjusted, no probs at all and as a test I only used it on my right temple which was a lot worse than my left. I also have rubbed Folligen cream into the area 15 mins after the application. Since this time I have watched little fine hairs turn darker and longer and as I have only been applying it on the right I have been able to see a clear and obvious difference. I am now using 5% and will start using it on my left temple.
So simply the sh*t works for me, its only a small start but it definately giving me growth.
Seems at present I have the right mix of products.

RogerS

Reaction score
In your opinion is Revivogen Scalp Therapy, worth getting at $89 for a 3 month supply? and was it beneficial in your hairline results?

I find that with the Crinagen, the one bottle, can last up to 3 months, sometimes longer.

Any opinions on the Folligen cream & Tricomin spray? I use the Tricomin shampoo yet not the spray. Since I'm currently not using 5% minoxidil anymore, would these two products be of any benefit? Anyone use them?

Roger

G

RogerS said:
In your opinion is Revivogen Scalp Therapy, worth getting at $89 for a 3 month supply? and was it beneficial in your hairline results?

I find that with the Crinagen, the one bottle, can last up to 3 months, sometimes longer.

Any opinions on the Folligen cream & Tricomin spray? I use the Tricomin shampoo yet not the spray. Since I'm currently not using 5% minoxidil anymore, would these two products be of any benefit? Anyone use them?

Roger

See my regimen, which reflects by current "best thinking."

wheresmyhair

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
RogerS said:

Roger

See my regimen, which reflects by current "best thinking."

My experience was that the combo of rev and folligen greatly reduced shedding and thickened my crown greatly. In terms of the hairline minoxidil has been the key in stimulating the growth in the temple region.

Overall all three have worked nicely in combination to really help the growth. In terms of rev or crin not sure if there would be a big difference but I have only used rev and for now its works so I'll stick with it..

If you look at Lee's and my regimen you will see its the same except for his use of crinagen.

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm confused a little when people say the temple region. Does that also include the corners of the hairline? When people say they get regrowth in the temple area I always thought they were referring to just the area behind the temples.

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
good question artvandalay, I think this region has been questioned ambiguously, I always thought the temple region was the front sides of the head, the portion closest to your eyes....Not quite sure anymore.....

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
When I'm talkin' temples, I'm talkin' the corners of the hairline, holmes. You know, the parts on either side of the middle hairline. I think that's what most everybody means. Them's the areas typically hard-hit by the male pattern baldness.

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't really sure if everyone was referring to the same areas when they talk about regrowth at the temples. I was hoping it did include the corners of the hairline, cause that's where my biggest problem is and where I need the most improvement.
Today was actually my first day applying 5% minoxidil to that region of my hair, and that's the only place I need to apply it. I hope that combined with propecia (which i've already been on for 10 months) will do the trick.

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
artvandalay, how has ten months on propecia treated you, how were the results??? thanks....

artvandaley

Established Member
Reaction score
jblig,

I haven't really seen too much of a difference after 10 months. Still some gradual thinning on the corners of the hairline (temples), but it has been pretty slow. So it's possible propecia slowed things down, but i'm not really sure, no improvement in hair though. I haven't had any side effects though that were noticeable, so thats a plus. I heard from a number of people on this site that their hairline continued to recede while taking propecia (even after years), and once they added minoxidil is when they started to see improvement there. I guess that's what got me to add minoxidil now rather than later.

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
this is funny. Everyone is really different. What works for someone could f*** up somebody else's hair. Yesits amazing to read other people's experiences and see how everyone differ from the other. treatment wise and responses to the treatments. Lol you guys already know that so Im not trying to imply a new thought. Just funny.