Front of the head and minoxidil

G

i was told that minoxidil will not work on the front of the head and bang area is this true. i just order 5% minoxidil for my bang area?

Jude

Established Member
Reaction score
The reason why many people are led to believe that Rogaine doesn't work on the temples is because when it was tested, they only tested it on the vertex. They never bothered to test it on the temples. So, they can't actually prove that it does work on the temples. They left that for us to figure out for ourselves. So, in answer to your question- yes, minoxidil does indeed work on the temples for a certain amount of people.

BTW- What is the "bang" area?

The Gardener

Reaction score
It's working quite well on my temples, and many others here will tell you the same.

As Jude says, they can only claim effectiveness on the vertex because the FDA trials were only done on vertex hair. It does work better on the vertex, and by doing the trials so that only vertex hair improvement was factored in it allowed them to claim a better success percentage. That notwithstanding, although it might not work as WELL on the temples, it does work for people who naturally respond to it well. But, you will only know if you try. Success with minoxidil varies from person to person.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
I've also had good regrowth/thickening in front from minoxidil.

"Increased Frontal Scalp Coverage and Frontal Hair Regrowth with 5% and 2% Minoxidil Topical Solution"
Elise A Olsen, M.D.; Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC; David A. Whiting, M.D.; University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX; Jeffrey J. Miller, M.D.; Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA

Frontal and vertex areas of the scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) were assessed and treated in the pivotal clinical studies with 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution. The efficacy and safety of 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution have been demonstrated in target areas on the leading edge of vertex balding in a 48-week, randomized, placebo-controlled study of men with vertex pattern 3, 4, 5, or 6 hair loss based on the Savin Male Pattern
and Density Scale (Olsen et al, 2002, in press).

Patients were instructed to apply 5% or 2% minoxidil topical solution or placebo to the frontal/parietal areas of the scalp twice daily.
In order to assess the effect of 5% and 2% minoxidil on change in frontal/parietal scalp hair coverage, an independent panel of 3 blinded experts retrospectively reviewed photographs of the frontal scalp from patients who participated in this study.

Photographs from 139 patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group, 142 patients in the 2% group, and 71 patients in the placebo group were reviewed and scored to determine changes in scalp coverage and central hair part width.

The photographs consisted of standardized, reproducible, digitized views of Polaroid photographs taken of the superior frontal/parietal scalp at baseline and at weeks 16 and 48. Change from baseline in scalp coverage was measured on a 7-point categorical scale. The
median of the Global Panel Review scores from the 3 independent reviewers was reported.
Scores for patients in both the 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution treatment arms at weeks 16 and 48 indicated significantly greater frontal scalp coverage compared to placebo (p<.001).

Frontal scalp coverage for 33% of patients in the 5% group, 15% in the 2% group, and 6% in the placebo group at week 16 was rated as moderately or greatly increased. At weeks 16
and 48, frontal scalp coverage rating scores were significantly higher for patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group compared with the 2% minoxidil topical solution and placebo groups (p<.001).

The findings of this retrospective analysis provide useful information for clinicians who monitor and treat patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.