Reaction score

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much for sharing this yadayada029, hopefully stuff like this is taken more seriously and people in general will acknowledge how difficult hair loss can be.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
These were of particular note to me, and have been stated in similarly on this board numerous times. It was nice to see them called out by an outlet I respect, and I know many read.

"It's the last bastion of political incorrectness," says Spencer Kobren, the LA-based host of the Bald Truth, a radio show aimed at men losing their hair. "You're not going to go up to a chick and be like, 'Hey, do you know what, it looks like your *** has got bigger!' But that same girl can go up to a guy and say, 'Hey it looks like you're losing your hair,' and it's considered OK."

Even if most of us aren't so crass as to do that, the prejudice is deeply ingrained. Studies consistently show that women are more attracted to men with hair. Note also our aversion to hairless presidents—Eisenhower is the only bald man to be elected to the Oval Office in modern times—or the way Wisconsin governor Scott Walker's bald patch recently became an actual issue in his bid for the Republican nomination.

"Society doesn't let men show that they're uncomfortable about their appearance. You're expected to just man up," he says.

...hair loss can be devastating. A study two years ago by researchers in Germany revealed the psychological toll of going bald. Staff at the Charité Universitätsmedizin teaching hospital in Berlin found that the "enormous emotional burden" of hair loss caused problems of self-esteem and, in the worst cases, triggered psychological disorders like body dysmorphia and trichotillomania...

Dr. Gershen Kaufman, a former professor of psychology at Michigan State University and the author of The Psychology of Shame, thinks stories like this reflect how much our hair is tied into our self-image.

"Think of all the times we look in the mirror and we see our face and hair and experience them as part and parcel of the same thing—who we are," says Dr. Kaufman. "Our self lives in our face and anything that alters our face, namely our hair, is going to drastically alter how we perceive ourselves."

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Acknowledging that it has an emotional impact, and that it's not just shave it off, and everything's fine

It's Seriously Depressing to Lose Your Hair

yet its still not covered by my medical insurance,
YET I am forced to pay into a system that will reward women dumping babies out like roaches and people so fat they need surgery. All things they CHOOSE to do to themselves. No one picks to lose their hair, they would all take it back if they could and studies show its negative affects yet it must all be done out of pocket..... but hey everyone dont worry, just get knocked up by some one nighter or keep eating those big macs and youll be JUST FINE!

1411583272295_wps_84_Picture_shows_Christina_B.jpg

edit: good god, I Just picked some random image but THIS is the actual article it was to!!!! WTF

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...wo-wants-MORE-money-government-help-diet.html

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The lady above is terrible. Unless you have a thyroid issue that impacts your metabolism, there is no excuse for being overweight. Portion control, even if it is junk food. You will not gain weight if you eat half a cheeseburger instead of 3 in a sitting. Stupid excuse to continue her stupid lifestyle.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
And, again, the suggestion that shaving your thinning hair corresponds to not caring about your hair, and being cool about baldness.
IF you don't care about baldness, you just leave your cranium alone. You do not shave your delicate head skin every day with a sharp razor in a time consuming process.
Methinks those who shave are preoccupied by hair loss as much as the person who undergoes a transplant...

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
And, again, the suggestion that shaving your thinning hair corresponds to not caring about your hair, and being cool about baldness.
IF you don't care about baldness, you just leave your cranium alone. You do not shave your delicate head skin every day with a sharp razor in a time consuming process.
Methinks those who shave are preoccupied by hair loss as much as the person who undergoes a transplant...

Everybody cares about their hair. Those that say they don't are lying.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everybody cares about their hair. Those that say they don't are lying.

Of course they are.
At the same time I continue to feel injured and insulted (and it happens every time they speak about baldness) when they (including VICE) suggest shaving your head equals "getting it over with".
How is shaving your head daily equal to getting it over with?

BTW: I don't know about the US, but shaved heads have been "acceptable" in Italy in Spain for 20-25 years now. Before then, a person with a completely shaved head was seen as someone who was not in his right mind. That was wrong, but it is equally wrong to suggest that you're not "owning it" if you're thinning and you don't shave it.