Found this interesting (old) journal article about hair loss reversal

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would share it. I don't feel like copyping the whole thing, I did find a link where you can download the pdf for free: http://www.medicaljournals.se/acta/content/?volume=70&issue=4 (worth it because it contains photographic evidence)

Abstract: "This 73-year-old white male has been bald since the age of 28. He developed nonA-nonB-induced liver cirrhosis and had been treated with spironolactone for the last 6 years. For the last 3 months, his hair had started to regrow over the scalp. This might be related to the antiandrogenic effect of spironolactone."

Apparently he had been bald for over 45 years (!!) but still regrew a significant amount of hair after 6 years on spironolactone. Even though taking spironolactone for 6 years is not feasible for any of us, I just thought it was kind of encouraging to see that at least this confirms that hair follicles don't disappear completely.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
In only three months such regrowth?

It is impossible because a healthy scalp hair growth is 1 cm a month, and it is neccesary more time to create the new dermal papila

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score
In only three months such regrowth?

It is impossible because a healthy scalp hair growth is 1 cm a month, and it is neccesary more time to create the new dermal papila

It's difficult to tell, but it looks like the hairs could be about 3cm long. Keep in mind he had been taking spironolactone for about 6 years before it started to grow.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think this is more interesting than the authors think, because of the six years wait period. They say it might be caused by follicle restoration time, follicle phases... Alright, but SIX years?
I think some endogenous factor intervened to interact and activate the spironolactone's action and they did not catch it.

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this is more interesting than the authors think, because of the six years wait period. They say it might be caused by follicle restoration time, follicle phases... Alright, but SIX years?
I think some endogenous factor intervened to interact and activate the spironolactone's action and they did not catch it.

I don't know. This pure conjecture, but we know that when you go bald somehow the DHT causes a chain reaction that depletes the Dermal Papilla cells, which causes hairs to grow thinner and disappear. Maybe after years of male pattern baldness, it take a really long time of blocking DHT to build up enough DP cells to start new hair growth.

BTW

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly new, mentally ill males taking spironolactone + estrogen so they can pretend they are women often get their hair back. There is a 28+ page thread with such a guy on this forum. The good news from this study is that the lost Androgenetic Alopecia hair can be recovered even after a slumber of 45 years. Yet again it seems the only treatment that seems to work for Androgenetic Alopecia requires some sort of chemical castration.

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly new, mentally ill males taking spironolactone + estrogen so they can pretend they are women often get their hair back. There is a 28+ page thread with such a guy on this forum. The good news from this study is that the lost Androgenetic Alopecia hair can be recovered even after a slumber of 45 years. Yet again it seems the only treatment that seems to work for Androgenetic Alopecia requires some sort of chemical castration.

Mentally ill?