For Stephen Foote, an RU58841 study

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Besides, what the hell do YOU care if RU58841 works or not?? Even if it's eventually proven to work in 10 different peer-reviewed medical journal studies (just like Rogaine and Propecia), you'll just come back and make some stupid excuse like, "Well, the RU is going deeper into the dermis and causing better drainage of all that nasty EDEMA!!" LOL!!! :D

Bryan

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan, i have a simple challenge for you if you are man enough?

Just cut out all of your usual psuedo scientific bulls""t here, and let's just concentrate on "ONE" particular issue without any of your usual distractions OK?

Lets just talk about the graft "doughnutting" issue in a "PROPER" scientific context for all to see, with non of your usual distractions!

Are you up for that Bryan?

Because that "one" issue in itself, shows just how scientificaly naive you really are!

So if you are man enough for this, let me know. Here in England it is late and i am going to bed now.

Sweet dreams Bryan, you better do some quick research! 8)

S Foote.

michael barry

Reaction score
Bryan,

Quickly on the things Ive attemtped to test and why (and a note on the Revivogen result).

Ive tested pine oil because it has the highest amount of beta sis of any known substance (10-19%) and beta sis is in revivogen (which worked EXTREMELY WELL in damn near elimiating my big thick wrist hair). Pine oil, or cedarwood oil as some call it, is in alot of old folk hair remedies.

Lavendar oil is also in alot of old folk hair remedies, and when it was found to cause gynochomastia in young boys who bathe with lavendear oil body washes..................I thought it best to give it a try and see if it was really anti-androgenic. Ive seen lavendar mixed with water as a homeopathic for acne aslo, so I considered that extra evidence of anti-androgenic activity.

Spearmint tea has been noted by turkish researchers to decrease hirsutism in women who drank two cups a day. So Im interested in trying it. I look and find alot of peppermint oils and mint and menthol in baldness-related products like alpecin, and American Crew thickening shampoo. I consider it a possiblilty that these companies have done some private testing and have "found" some anti-androgens that they are not keen on the public knowing about. For instance, if curcumin dissolved in alcohol REALLY is better than GLA for baldness..................we have a cheap-side effect free topical substitue for finasteride right there if one applies it twice a day. One could concievably use an ethanol/PPG mixture as a carrier and put homeade minoxidil with it............A nightmare for the rogaine foam people. Ive never tested anything I didnt really think had at least anti-androgenic potential. Im about out of good things to test though, and will probably just settle for topical spironolactone long term like everybody else (I hope I can find a way to make it smell nice) though. Im just nosy.........

as always appreciate the good information you have researched and share, m

one thing does intrigue me thought................there are more sterols in rice bran oil than any other known substance, and rural chinese have washed their hair in rice bran oil water to make it shiny and strong. I wonder...........................I'll be suprised if there is not a great receptor blocker or topical anti-androgen out there somewhere, but there may not be. I'd love to find one and just use it and NANO as a routine.....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
S Foote. said:
Bryan, i have a simple challenge for you if you are man enough?

Just cut out all of your usual psuedo scientific bulls""t here, and let's just concentrate on "ONE" particular issue without any of your usual distractions OK?

Lets just talk about the graft "doughnutting" issue in a "PROPER" scientific context for all to see, with non of your usual distractions!

Are you up for that Bryan?

Bring it on. Let's see if you been able to find any evidence since the last time we discussed this.

Bryan

powersam

Reaction score
S Foote. said:
"The market for prevention is likely to be worth more than treatment. So why has it been shelved? Obviously because it "cannot" prevent male pattern baldness topicaly! "

plain and simple, people will always pay more for a cure than a preventative.

Hmmm?

Think about the marketing and the people who "think" they have the first signs of male pattern baldness thinning? The basic fear is clear on these sites!

"Does male pattern baldness run in your family? Avoid the inevitable, prevention is better than cure and our simple daily treatment can stop male pattern baldness before it starts. Just send etc, etc"

Just consider the potential of something that could be "proven" to stop this before it starts? (if only).

S Foote.

sounds good on paper but the market has proved time and time again that people will pay more for a cure than a preventative. thats in all markets, not just the hair loss market.

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK Bryan.

First off, i have no problem at all with the data provided by Nordstrom and the other reputable scientists, who conducted the earlier studies using 4mm "plug" grafts and larger. I certainly do "NOT" think they are lying as you try to claim.

In fact it is those early well documented "peer reviewed" studies that "PROVE" my point Bryan! There is absolutely "NO" mention of the hairloss now refered to as "doughnutting" in the peer reviewed studies!!

You yourself have been quick to point this out Bryan right!

So now many years on from those original studies, we hear about the common repairs performed on the very same type of large plug grafts that were used in those studies. According to all the articles including one right here on HairLossTalk.com, hair loss from the centre of these large grafts is very common in grafts of 4mm and over, even effecting 3mm plug grafts!

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/surgicalops/ht11.htm

Quote:

"The main issue is one of oxygen diffusion. Since oxygen must diffuse into the center of the newly transplanted graft, very large grafts will be oxygen-deprived in their center. This has been shown repeatedly by observing the phenomenon called doughnutting, the loss of hair follicles in the center of larger grafts. This phenomenon is noted in larger grafts, but does not occur in follicular unit grafts since the distance that oxygen must travel to reach the center of the graft is so short."

http://www.newhair.com/resources/mp-200 ... pair-1.asp

Quote:

"In clinical practice, one often observes less density in the grafts than anticipated from the size of the harvested plug. This can be due to a number of different factors. Two of the most common are loss of hair from poor harvesting techniques and hair loss caused by a phenomenon called "dough-nutting." In dough-nutting, the centers of grafts receive insufficient oxygen following transplantation and, therefore, the follicles in the central portion of the grafts fail to survive. This results in hair growth limited to the periphery of the grafts. Dough-nutting was a phenomenon seen with 4- and 5-mm plugs, but also with grafts 3-mm in size."

Leaving the reason offered for this graft hair loss to one side for a moment, we can definately conclude that "doughnutting" is "REAL", and a very common effect in large grafts!

Moving on to the "excuse" given by the transplant industry for this hair loss "common" in these grafts.

This is put down to hypoxia. Hypoxia is a lack of oxygen, in this case it is claimed that hair is lost because of the distance oxygen has to defuse into the centre of these large grafts. The follicles in the centre of these grafts are then lost because of oxygen starvation it is claimed.

If this is true, the early peer reviewed studies by Nordstrom etc would have seen this, but they didn't did they! The most hypoxic conditions exist very early on after transplantation when the blood vessels are healing. There could well be a case for hypoxia causing the initial hair loss reported in those studies, often called "shock" loss.

But after this initial loss, the hair then regrew "throughout" the large grafts in those studies as "you" have said yourself. There was then no reported thinning, or any other hair loss pattern reported in the two years or more that those studies ran for. So if hypoxia did exist in the grafts used in the early peer reviewed studies as is claimed, it "CERTAINLY" did not prevent full terminal growth throughout those large grafts did it!

So the conclusions indicated by this body of evidence, should be clear to anyone with any basic reasoning ability!

The pattern of hair loss in the larger grafts called doughnutting, is now a recognised fact. Because this was "NOT" seen during the period of the early studies, it "HAS" to be a longer term effect that happens later than the two year time frame of those studies. Also whatever causes this long term hair loss cannot possibly be related to hypoxia, because the most hypoxic conditions exist early on and there was no such loss reported in those studies!

I have first hand experience of graft "doughnutting" in the 4mm grafts i had in the early 80's. Anecdotal maybe, but i believe my own eyes and it takes 3 to 4 years for this to be noticable in my experience.

So if you don't agree with my conclusions Bryan, you are either going to have to deny the evidence reported in the early peer reviewed studies, or deny that "doughnutting" exists at all!!

The only logical conclusion based on the evidence is a continuation of normal male pattern baldness in these alledged male pattern baldness resistant follicles. The time frame matches this, as does the thinning from the centre outwards. In my opinion the only thing that protects the follicles at the edges of these large grafts, is the fibrose tissue that formed around them during the healing process as i have argued before.

Unless of course you can provide any other logical explaination for "doughnutting" based on the facts at hand?

S Foote.

michael barry

Reaction score
Stephen,

This http://www.lymphnotes.com/article.php/id/43/ was interesting. I appreceiate it.

That must be an awful condition to have, that womans breast looked disgusting.

I have noted to others, that if you look at an extremely bald black man you can see his skin is discolored (lighter) in the bald area. Whether this is increased collagen in the dermal sheath and streamers underneath or a generalized hardening of tissue as you describe is a matter of opinion.

I do KNOW one thing however, and that is severely bald men's heads sure as hell age badly. Ever notice how they get those liver spots and discoloration that make them look roughly as old as Moses as the years go by?

michael barry

Reaction score
Stephen,

One more thing that might interest you. You know Im testing lavendar oil based on the gyno is causes in young boys and the fact its in so many old herbal remedies for baldness. I wondered if it did anything for edema.

Apparently it does, and so does tea tree oil.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... +oil+edema

lavender, http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1074347
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1592600

http://bmc.ub.uni-potsdam.de/1476-9255- ... 55-2-1.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=15813994

http://www.journal-inflammation.com/content/2/1/1

In my opinion, science really needs to look into alot of those old herbal remedies from various parts of the world that have been used for centuries and identifty what compounds in these herbs, oils, and spices can do what. There may be an amazing cure or two for various diseases out there in the woods.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
S Foote. said:
So if you don't agree with my conclusions Bryan, you are either going to have to deny the evidence reported in the early peer reviewed studies, or deny that "doughnutting" exists at all!!

The only logical conclusion based on the evidence is a continuation of normal male pattern baldness in these alledged male pattern baldness resistant follicles. The time frame matches this, as does the thinning from the centre outwards. In my opinion the only thing that protects the follicles at the edges of these large grafts, is the fibrose tissue that formed around them during the healing process as i have argued before.

Unless of course you can provide any other logical explaination for "doughnutting" based on the facts at hand?

Stephen, there is such a dearth of information about "doughnutting", there's simply no way to draw any conclusions at all. God knows I've searched for anything I could find, and I know you have, too. I couldn't find anything at all in the medical literature about the relative incidence of it, nor could I find anything about the timeline for that phenomenon. Until we can get some hard facts about it, all this must remain pure speculation.

Bryan

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
S Foote. said:

Stephen, there is such a dearth of information about "doughnutting", there's simply no way to draw any conclusions at all. God knows I've searched for anything I could find, and I know you have, too. I couldn't find anything at all in the medical literature about the relative incidence of it, nor could I find anything about the timeline for that phenomenon. Until we can get some hard facts about it, all this must remain pure speculation.

Bryan

OK Bryan, let's just agree to disagree at this time.

S Foote.

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Stephen,

One more thing that might interest you. You know Im testing lavendar oil based on the gyno is causes in young boys and the fact its in so many old herbal remedies for baldness. I wondered if it did anything for edema.

Apparently it does, and so does tea tree oil.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... +oil+edema

lavender, http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1074347
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1592600

http://bmc.ub.uni-potsdam.de/1476-9255- ... 55-2-1.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=15813994

http://www.journal-inflammation.com/content/2/1/1

In my opinion, science really needs to look into alot of those old herbal remedies from various parts of the world that have been used for centuries and identifty what compounds in these herbs, oils, and spices can do what. There may be an amazing cure or two for various diseases out there in the woods.

Hi Michael.

Interesting info.

I agree that the "old wives tale" traditional type treatments, have at least some coincidences going for them?

I think there are many novel experiments that could be done, the problem is persuading the scientists to stick their necks out and do them!

S Foote.