For how long is propecia and minoxidil effective??

Fran

Reaction score
Hello again friends,my only question it´s if you know how many time propecia and minoxidil do work,I mean,for how long can they stop our hairloss and if,for example,if we continue taking them...there will be a time when they won´t be effective anymore?Thanks and sorry for my english,if you don´t understand my question let me know and I´ll try to do it better altough I think I´m doing my best!!Bye and thanks again.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
The scientific studies haven't gone on long enough for finasteride.. but all indications are that if you take it now, you'll keep your current hairline for at least 10 years. During that period, your hair count will go up, then slowly down, but it will be better than what you started with.

Minodixil, however, seems to be a bit less.. something along the lines of 5 years, but i'm not sure, again doesn't seems to be very long term studies around.

Conclusion - eat the pills now, and in ten years time a new treatment will most certainly come out anyway.

Cassin

Reaction score
Rage said:
The scientific studies haven't gone on long enough for finasteride.. but all indications are that if you take it now, you'll keep your current hairline for at least 10 years. During that period, your hair count will go up, then slowly down, but it will be better than what you started with.

Minodixil, however, seems to be a bit less.. something along the lines of 5 years, but i'm not sure, again doesn't seems to be very long term studies around.

Conclusion - eat the pills now, and in ten years time a new treatment will most certainly come out anyway.

Very true, but when the two are added together we can toss out those studies and be somewhat certain the logetivity of benefits of the two drugs are extended.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
10 years...i really hope thats the case. hey, if nothings out by then, step up to dutasteride. 10 years is a hell of a long time ;)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
People keep bringing up this subject, so I'll keep offering my opinion! :)

"For how long can they stop hairloss?" and "How long will they be effective?" are two different questions! IMHO, the two drugs continue to work (the precise definition of "work" is the key point here) as long as you take them. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be able to hold on to your hair indefinitely. What it means is that your hair will at least be better at any given point in time than if you HADN'T been using those drugs.

Bryan

The Gardener

Reaction score
Well stated, Bryan.

Many here have said things to the effect of 'minoxidil stops working after x years'. Not true.

What is more accurate to say is that minoxidil, statistically speaking, will not induce regrowth after x years. That is to say, after x years on it, your chances of it continuing to improve your hairline, that is if it created regrowth, start to subside. However, despite this, minoxidil continues to 'work' in as it provides maintenance of hair that you should have lost.