For bryan.

G

1. Does minoxidil have any effect on follicle growth or is it just a case of opening Ca2+ channels in existing minturized follicles.

2. Does minoxidil increase hair diameter with time or will it only grow limp pubic like hair?

3. Does minoxidil have any benifical scalp effects - how could pouring alcohol on your head be good for anything there?

4. Long term heart effects?

5. Long term liver effects of proscar?

And to finish it all off. If what we think will happen within say 10 years (I belive it will happen faster but 10 years is plausible), talking about Stem cells, wouldn´t it be better to nurture your existing follicles with tricomin/DHT inhibitors instead of using minoxidil?

Thanks!

PearlJam

Reaction score
The first stem cell clinic in the UK was opened today... This allows research to take place... perhaps 10 years is much to long... if someone wants to reasearch hair stem cells in the UK, its now possible...
:shock:

G

They already discovered how to grow the stemcell. It´s now a matter of the rest.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
nesta said:
1. Does minoxidil have any effect on follicle growth or is it just a case of opening Ca2+ channels in existing minturized follicles.

I'm a little puzzled by your question...it obviously has an effect on follicle growth! But nobody knows exactly HOW it does that, which is what I suppose you meant.

nesta said:
2. Does minoxidil increase hair diameter with time or will it only grow limp pubic like hair?

Yes, minoxidil increases hair diameter.

nesta said:
3. Does minoxidil have any benifical scalp effects - how could pouring alcohol on your head be good for anything there?

It's not THAT much alcohol, unless you happen to be unusually sensitive to it. When you use Rogaine in the recommended fashion, you're only applying less than 1/3 of a milliliter of ethanol, twice a day.

nesta said:
4. Long term heart effects?

Good question! There was a study that looked at cardiac effects in bald men using ordinary 2% Rogaine for six months, and there was a small but statistically significant increase in LV mass, and certain other small changes, too. The relevant question here is, do those changes CONTINUE to accumulate when you use topical minoxidil over a long period of time? The answer would seem to be no, otherwise I think we would all know about it by now! However, it's something to think about...

nesta said:
5. Long term liver effects of proscar?

Nothing serious that I've ever heard of, but I haven't really looked into that.

nesta said:
And to finish it all off. If what we think will happen within say 10 years (I belive it will happen faster but 10 years is plausible), talking about Stem cells, wouldn´t it be better to nurture your existing follicles with tricomin/DHT inhibitors instead of using minoxidil?

Sure! I've always tried to make clear that minoxidil is more of a temporary measure than other approaches like antiandrogens or 5a-reductase inhibitors. However, I'm not willing to say that minoxidil is completely USELESS in this context, either. It has its place.

Bryan