Folligen-1/4 Proscar - Nizarol 2% - Nano Shampoo 4 months

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Time to vent Boys!!

To make a long story short I've been on Propecia for probably 6-7 years and was maintaining my hair wonderfully. Propecia really helped over the years to keep my hair and regrow hair. About 6 months ago I started to notice my hair thinning so I went on boards to figure out what to do to maybe help Propecia. I decided on a 1/4 pill of Proscar every other day, NANO shampoo, Folligen, Nizarol 2% and T Gel. I chose these at the reccomendation of everyone else's opinions and post. I have been on this regimen for 4 months now. Here's what I have to say

1) I haven't shed in over 6 years since I started Propecia, I am shedding EVERY DAY now for the past 4 months. I thought maybe it would stop after a month but it hasn't stopped and is only getting worse.

2) My hair has never been in worse shape. My hair just doesn't look healthy. It looks like dried up straw. I should have stayed away from the topicals like I kept telling myself. Topicals are ruining my hair. When I was just using regular shampoo 2-3 timed a week my hair looked healthy. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

3) I have not noticed balding or thinning for 6 years. Every morning I wake up and I can't believe how this my hair has become. Almost to the point where it seems like I am thinning more and more over night. Six years of Propecia have gone down the drain inn my opinion. I used to at least be able to have complete coverage and thick coverage ( compared to know ) at this point my head is barely covered and the thinning is VERY obvious!!

4) When I started Propecia I was using Topix at the same time, after a few months of Propecia I could stop sing Toppix because Propecia did wonders and cover up was no longer needed. Well, for the first time in 6 years I am finding that I have to use Toppix again to cover up my balding.

5) My hairstyle used to be just put some gel in rub my hair around and it would fall into place and give me coverage and look good. Know when I rub my hair around it doesn't cover anything anymore and it's looks parted almost. As a matter a fact it looks like I am bald and I just have one little patch in the front of my head.

6) I have probably lost over half the hair on my head since starting this routine. I think it just proves what I thought all along. I think once your start putting topical on your head your finished.

I have a decision to make now because people say you should stick with a regimen for 6 months. If I keep seeing all this shedding and losing hair on a daily basis that will be tough to keep up. I just hope the damage I have done is reversable and I can just go back to the way it was. My only worry is not that I started NANO I may have to use it the rest of my life. I did learn a lesson that there is NO WAY I will ever go on minoxidil or any of the more stronger topicals. I still have Revivogen that I was going to try but I can't see going on that. I feel it will just do more damage. I am going back to my regimen that actually helped my hair. Shampooing with thickening shampoo 3-4 times a week and Propecia once a day. What a concept just good old fashion shampoo to keep your hair healthy. A warning to all that start topicals , they will damage your hair at first!!!

SE-freak

Reaction score
Excuse me...

Is it just my impression, or you have just started taking saw palmetto?

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Excuse me...

Is it just my impression, or you have just started taking saw palmetto?

Oh sorry, took Saw Plametto for awhile. That seemed to help but I stopped that and all the other herbs when I started the new regimen.

JWM

Reaction score
You are not the first person I have heard of that switched from Propecia to 1.25 mg of Proscar and experienced a shed. Although I have no proof whatsoever, I am beginning to wonder if quartering Proscar is somehow less effective than Propecia.

BTW, your hairloss pattern sounds like mine. Diffuse like one big part down the middle?

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
JWM said:
You are not the first person I have heard of that switched from Propecia to 1.25 mg of Proscar and experienced a shed. Although I have no proof whatsoever, I am beginning to wonder if quartering Proscar is somehow less effective than Propecia.

BTW, your hairloss pattern sounds like mine. Diffuse like one big part down the middle?

Pretty much down the middle, yes. Well I switchd to a 1/4 proscar but I also only took it every other day instead of everyday. So 5mg of finasteride a week instead of 7mg. I am going back to everyday to see if that helps, but the damage may already have been done.

JWM

Reaction score
Good luck, I hope you recover. I would hop back on Propecia just to be safe. you can buy the generic for $15 a month at Unitedpharmacies.com

SE-freak

Reaction score
md2002 said:
Well I switchd to a 1/4 proscar but I also only took it every other day instead of everyday.

You decided to start taking proscar EOD. Why?? I would really like you to explain the logic behind this.

You wonder why you shed on Proscar? You changed your routine, it is obvious. That is why.

Why all this experimenting?
I cannot understand this stuff...

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
md2002 said:
Well I switchd to a 1/4 proscar but I also only took it every other day instead of everyday.

You decided to start taking proscar EOD. Why?? I would really like you to explain the logic behind this.

You wonder why you shed on Proscar? You changed your routine, it is obvious. That is why.

Why all this experimenting?
I cannot understand this stuff...

Well, I have been on Propecia for 6-7 years, I decided I wanted to give my body a break for awhile so I cut back to every other day. If I was going to cut back to every other day it made more sence to switch to Proscar and cut it in 4ths, that way instead of 1mg every other day I would be taking 1 1/4 every other day.

The reasoning behind this is simple. i don't know how long you have been fighting hair loss but you kind of get sick of putting a pill in your body everyday for 7 years. i don't know if I have side effects from finasteride at this point because it is all I have known for 7 years now. I wanted to give my body a break. I will go back to everyday now.

I firmly believe it is not the cuttin down of finasteride but rather the topicals i am using. I was still on finasteride everyday when I started using Nizoral and I was shedding like there was no tommorow. I should have quit then but I started on NANO and folligen instead. When I use Folligen there are 20 - 30 hairs falling out everytime.

The only other thing I can think of is if it is not real Proscar. I did get it at a site reccomended by many people so I don't think that is it.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think it is obvious why you are shedding -

You have nearly halved your average intake of finasteride (i.e 1.25mg EOD instead of 1mg ED)

Start taking it every day IMMEDIATELY before you lose the rest of your hair.

I dont the topicals can be doing that much harm, after all most of what you're using are shampoos, and you would shampoo anyway. But if you notice any irritation from any of them then i would stop using them, or use less frequently.

Britannia

Reaction score
You screwed up your bodies hormonal balance. Get back on 1mg a day everday OR if you insist on sticking on your new regeime then give it at least 9-12 months to take effect (this is really how long it can take for the hormonal balance in your body to stabilise).
If in 12 months you still not happy you might want to try Dutas.

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have decided to go back to 1mg Propecia everyday. I don't even trust 1/4 of Proscar every day at this point. Maybe I react to Propecia but not Proscar???

SE-freak

Reaction score
md2002 said:
Thanks guys, I have decided to go back to 1mg Propecia everyday. I don't even trust 1/4 of Proscar every day at this point. Maybe I react to Propecia but not Proscar???

We are talking about the same active ingredient. You can split proscar in fifths easily:

Merck has stated in the past that there is an issue with uneven distribution of finasteride throughout the pill, but this is obviously a marketing trick as they have a leak in their propecia consumer group. Many bph patients decide on a lower dose, so they would not risk it.