Follicles falling out? Weird!

Mikeyboy

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been steadily receding, albeit slowly over the last few years, and am now 26. However, in the last year I have noticed some diffuse thinning at the front as well, although it is still not too bad quite yet.

The latest thing seems to be an increase in the amount of follicles that appear to be coming off my head in the areas of hair loss - this is accompanied by some itching and irritation, which I assume is related and have read about. Some of my 'escaping' follicles have hairs attached, others don't.

I wanted to know if anyone else had had this, or heard of it, and what it means exactly. I assume it just means I am going bald!! I have no hair loss on my crown, so was wondering what the best regimen would be for me.

Finally, where do people in the UK get their Rogaine, Propecia and Nizoral. If I used these, what results could I expect?

Many thanks

Stingray

Reaction score
Hehehe... silly boy... Follicles don't fall out. They are attached by something called skin. If a follicle fell out, it would hurt like a b**ch and bleed like one too. That ugly white clump is just the unprocessed keratin that was gonna be hair until the follicle went into it's resting phase (which is 100% normal and a good thing.) You may have just not noticed them in the past. When you don't see those bulbs is when you need to worry.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sting. are you sure the lack of bulb is a bad thing? I used to get them, but I have noticed I dont get them anymore since I started my regiment. Of course, I have been hard pressed to actually catch any hair falling out recently.

timmerman

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure about this white bulb deal????Sometimes I think it would be nice if a doctor would jump on and tell us.The only reason why I ask is I have been getting them on the hairs that I pull out.
I've been on Nizoral and Propecia for just over two months now with no constant shedding. Just hoping someone could shed(no pun intended) some light on the situation.

Beer rules

Stingray

Reaction score
I have had the bulbs on the end of my hairs for as long as i can remember. As long as the base of the hair is white and hard then there's nothing to worry. If it's brown and smooth then the follicle expelled the hair in it's anagen phase, which is not a good thing. Even if it's tubular, but still white it's a sign that the follicle is still in business.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But Sting, if a treatment kicks a follicle into a new growth cycle, causing a shed, would it not be common for them to be in the anagen phase? Which woud not be bad news at all,.

Next time I see a hair fall out I'm going to examine it closely.

Reaction score
It would be nice to have some sort of definitive response on this topic. I've noticed since I was a kid that hairs of mine that fell out had a white bulb on the end. However, with my recent, rapid loss, hardly any of the hairs that fall out have the bulb.

So what exactly does it mean when there is *no* bulb?

Stingray

Reaction score
Flux..Honey... When a hair follicle goes into a resting phase, it usually expells the existing hair...sometimes when it goes into the phase...sometimes when it comes out of the phase. When a hair doesn't have the bulb, it means it either broke, or fell out IN the anagen phase. The bulb means it fell out in a telogen phase...which is nothing to fear. Completely normal. When the hair shrinks is when you need to worry.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sting, sugar (haha you brat),. so am I to understand that good sheds are hairs that stuck in during the resting phase, falling out now that the follicles are starting a new growth cycle?

Mikeyboy

Reaction score
So, hairs with white blobs on the end is good... excellent, thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Does anybody have any input on my other questions?

Cheers

Mike

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry Mikey, but we own this thread now and cannot see fit to go off topic by answering your questions

jk

Irritation is bad. It is a factor in your hairloss. finasteride/Min/nizoral, bro. finasteride/Min/nizoral. Dunno about the UK, but you can get it online.