Follica Appoints Drug Development and Dermatology

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
dimitar_berbagod said:
[...] Without wishing to offend the Americans on this forum, I could think of a hell of a lot of people who would disagree with that.

I guess you're right, America is not exactly the most popular country in the world right now.

BUT when it comes to medical research, I'm sure we can all agree that these guys are unbeatable - no other country comes close, not even Germany.

Anyway, I went to New York last year and had a wonderful time. I love that city and Americans treated me like a prince. I can't wait to go back.

kavorka

Reaction score
metropolis said:
ClayShaw said:
[...] I've always thought Follica has the best chance of all of them to release something effective in the short term. [...]

I hope you're right. My personal favorite is Intercytex, simply because Follica has been so secretive about its treatment - there have been press reports but very few details and a lot of unanswered questions.

am new to this forum and have been reading up on developments and have been quite dissapointed at the lack of progress. it's dissapointing to see that there are only 2 players in the game, you'd think there would be much more than that, considering the billions of dollars that can be made.

it doesnt surprise me that these companies are secretive...i know if i was running a company working on curing/treating baldness that id be ultra secretive as well.

think about it....the company that makes the breakthrough on this will become as big as Google and Microsoft combined, the stakes are high.

Personally, the only way i think this will be solved is either via stem cell research or switching the baldness gene off at birth and thus phasing out this gene in future generations.

the 21st century (especially after 2030) will be known for breakthroughs in genetic engineering but i think it will be too late for us unfortunately.

Nighthair

Established Member
Reaction score
Ouroboros said:
Any more news on Follica these days?

Nope, you can go to follica's site to check the news section. That's what i do everyday after work... :shakehead:

Hope4hairRedux

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought id have a little word.

What do people think the current reality of HM is?

When I first heard of HM, a year or so ago, I at first thought that this may just be the silver bullet. But now the whole thing doesnt seem to carry the same gravitas. I have heard that a completely bald person cant just gain a new head of hair from HM. If HM cant do this, then its not really a cure in my eyes. Its another half way house like an hair transplant or the meds.

I just have this rather pessimistic feeling that growing a new head of hair is essientally cheating our biology. There are certian things we can do - but to grow a new head of hair, this would be a massive step for science. This would be completely cheating nature.

I am 20 now. I would be willing to wait even 20 years for HM to be a viable and at last, complete cure for baldness. But I really doubt this can ever be achieved. Im just going to try and enjoy my life as it is, and if HM ever does become a reality, then it will be a wonderful bonus I can recieve later on in life, something which could completely revamp my exterior. However I stick by this maxim - If something seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Whoop

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do you think it would be impossible to create a full head of hear? If you can clone hairs, you can do it infinitely (or at least in theory).

I think there is great stuff coming up. Follica/Aderans/Intercytex/Histogen are putting a lot of effort in this and there are many other firms that are looking for new and better topicals.

If we don't see a cure in the next 5 years, we'll at least see a great addition to Rogaine/Propecia.

I think :) Just wait for the meeting of ISHRS, I think we can expect some news after it.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whoop said:
Why do you think it would be impossible to create a full head of hear? If you can clone hairs, you can do it infinitely (or at least in theory).

I think there is great stuff coming up. Follica/Aderans/Intercytex/Histogen are putting a lot of effort in this and there are many other firms that are looking for new and better topicals.

If we don't see a cure in the next 5 years, we'll at least see a great addition to Rogaine/Propecia.

I think :) Just wait for the meeting of ISHRS, I think we can expect some news after it.

Depending on what you mean by "cure" it will absolutely NOT be here in 5 years, and likely not here in 20.
If by "cure" you mean gene therapy that corrects the genes responsible for male pattern baldness, that is not happening any time soon.
If by "cure" you mean treatment, as I think Dudemon said, that "isn't a punch line", 5 years is probably optimistic but not completely impossible.
1) Follica and Aderans are both going to have to go through the FDA. If Follica claims that their product grows hair, those claims will have to be proven in trials, whether or not they use drugs that are already approved.
2) I may be wrong about this, but I don't think either Follica or Aderans are in FDA trials at the moment. I was under the impression that all FDA trials were listed on the clinicaltrials.gov page. Follica/Aderans are nowhere to be found on there.

Whoop

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeh, by 'cure' I mean a treatment that will make every balding guy happy. Genetic engeneering is likely to be 2 decades away I guess, though I must say science is moving fast. Hard to estimate when this will get to the market.

About Follica, I think they don't have to go through FDA trials? I'm not a 100% sure, but I thought I read somewhere they'll be using products that have already gone through trials and only their way of using them is new. That's another reason why I'm having high hopes in them, apart from just liking the 'air' around them.

And yes, 5 years is probably optimistic, but I like my chances :).

Whoop

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh hell, should have read your reply better. Didn't know Follica has to go through FDA trials. Why Ju already then, hmmm..

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Whoop said:
Oh hell, should have read your reply better. Didn't know Follica has to go through FDA trials. Why Ju already then, hmmm..

I'm not 100% sure about that, but thats the impression I get. I remember people talking about the FDA pulling that A&G snake oil because they made unsubstantiated claims about hair growth.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
I also remember reading that Follica did NOT have to go through FDA trials; because the hairloss method they are developing is combining things that are already okay/FDA cleared. Basically its dermabrading the skin + some already FDA cleared substances. That is what I read several times at least.

Nighthair

Established Member
Reaction score
Ouroboros said:
I also remember reading that Follica did NOT have to go through FDA trials; because the hairloss method they are developing is combining things that are already okay/FDA cleared. Basically its dermabrading the skin + some already FDA cleared substances. That is what I read several times at least.

I think it was just rumours that Follica does not have to go through FDA trails. There's no offical words from Follica...

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd settle for an oral drug that could protect follicles from DHT and prevent further hair loss. That would be a major breakthrough. Finasteride doesn't work for everyone and, as we all know, there could be unpleasant side effects...

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metropolis said:
I'd settle for an oral drug that could protect follicles from DHT and prevent further hair loss. That would be a major breakthrough. Finasteride doesn't work for everyone and, as we all know, there could be unpleasant side effects...

Yeah, although I'd say that boobs is a little more than just "unpleasant".