foam disappointing 6 months in

mehtaesq1

Reaction score
I have been on the liquid 5% for 4.5 years. I am 35 years old. Doing ok with the liquid. I would go through periodic sheds during certain seasons but I would rate the liquid satisfactory-. I ordered the foam in mid-October 2006 thinking it would be more convenient to use and maybe even grow more hair than I had. Have been faithfully using it and I am devastated as to what this stuff did to my hair in 6 months. I have lost so much hair and continue to lose hair. I would say that I lost 1/2 the hair on my scalp. I have used it according to the instructions and video on their website. I am switching back to the liquid hoping to gain back whatever I can. With gel and a hair dryer, my hair looked ok in October-I guess I should have been satisfied with what I had. After 6 months of the foam, I am praying to get back to where I was in October 2006. (Don't know what you got, til its gone) The foam was a total joke. If you are on the liquid and doing ok with it (not great-just ok) do not switch to the foam, just deal with the itching.

I am now seriously considering possibly shaving my head or getting a transplant. I never even thought about these things before getting on the foam.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Change back.

I was about to buy the foam...now got doubt.

Better stop using it.
I'm planning on Proscar now.

mehtaesq1

Reaction score

Cassin:

It worked great for me too because it was clean, easy and convenient. The problem is that it did nothing for preventing hairloss as the liquid did. It was overpriced mousse. How long have you been on it? I gave it a full six months and my hair looks the worse it has ever looked in my life. This after a nice improvement and maintenance on the liquid for 4.5 years

G

This doesn't concern me because I've never used liquid and will start off with the foam. This shouldn't concern anyone starting rogaine from scratch on the foam.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
i was on liquid for 14 months and foam now for 4,had a huuuge shed on foam but ist coming back,much better than liquid

plusryan

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using it for some months and my hair is filling in almost completely along with other products of course, but I think it personally works better than the liquid. IE: it would dribble down your face and not dry completely, the foam dissolves in seconds..

lucy923

Established Member
Reaction score
plusryan and Libertine.....at what week did you notice you shed starting and how long did it last?? Did you acutally notice a cosmetic difference in your hair(thinner) or did you just notice more hairs falling out daily??

Also, when did you first start to notice it filling in and thickenening up. Right now I am 3 weeks in and my hairline is thinning extremely fast and is getting noticebly thin especially around the temples. My hairline is still in tack it is just thinning basically behind it. I hope it turns around soon or its gonna look bad.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
mehtaesq1, are you using a dht inhibitor along with the minoxidil? If you aren't, then you must surely realise that you are guaranteed to lose your hair. Remember, minoxidil just gives you an offset of new growth. If you don't use finasteride, dutasteride or another dht inhibitor the dht will not only attack your natural hair, it will also attack the new hair you've grown with minoxidil.

What I'm saying is that you could simply be going through another stage of male pattern baldness that just happen to coincide with you starting the minoxidil foam.

nuttyrich

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree if you are on minoxidil use proscar/propecia.. also rogaine + that will ensure you at least have the best chance<-- at keeping and maintaining,I can't rule out dutasteride as a drug to use but propecia is a safer bet at least for now,get on the proscar/propecia .. even a tiny dosage is better than nothing if you dear side effects,oh and well stating just that fearing side effects when you take the first pill.. well.. side effects will likely happen when you read the forums.. and already anticipate them,mind is a power thing..!

Good luck,
Rich

xodcbox

Reaction score
Yes rogain alone !! FOAM ! It works! I had never even heard or used any of the pills, medications that so many people on this site use . I saw the rogain foam ad on tv. Bought it. and Bam! 7 months later I got hair on my head!!! Yes lots and lots of shedding. A month in half of shedding sacrifice.Very awfull I was scared as hell ! Thanx to rogain I gotta girlfriend she loves my hair! Im 34 yrs old.

nuttyrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Well Rogaine didn't get you the girlfriend,you got some confidence via rogaine and then got a woman,what you're implying is that this woman if you didn't have rogaine wouldn't have bothered with you and would see you as a totally different person,and if and when the rogaine stops working.. she will dump you because you don't have enough hair? I advise going on proscar/propecia to KEEP what you have rogaine can spurt growth and maybe halt loss for a short while but it's mainly to grow new hairs,proscar/propecia will KEEP you from losing anything and maintain your gains,I know it feels like Rogaine and added hair got you the girlfriend but you must realize that really isn't the reason,added confidence (even placebo confidence) would do it :) I'm happy you have good regrowth I hope you get more and also MAINTAIN IT!

Good luck,
Rich

xodcbox

Reaction score
Ya I do agree with you help my confidence.i do wanna keep my hair though better look into other things to help!

nuttyrich

Established Member
Reaction score
try a low dosage or porscar/propecia even maybe 1/2 the normal amount even 1/8th will do something good... should minimize side effects also,Nizoral 2% rogaine + proscar/propecia is the ONLY way to go,some start out with all 3 like I did,or some add proscar afterwards or minoxidil after the proscar/porpecia.. I would recommened all 3 get all the shedding over with and reap the best results alot quicker.!

Best of luck,
Rich

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
This doesn't concern me because I've never used liquid and will start off with the foam. This shouldn't concern anyone starting rogaine from scratch on the foam.

I think this is the key. People who start their minoxidil marriage with foam seem to love it, the reports of those who have switched from liquid are less encouraging. I had the same experience as the original poster. Was on liquid for 2 years and it was doing the trick. Switched to foam after reading the hype and i have to say, i lost more in in those 6 weeks, than i did in 7 years on propecia. Bad experience. Im now back on the liquid.

By the way, i now 6 weeks is not long enough and that hair will supposedly grow back, but honestly I was losing waaaay too much. No point losing 100 hairs just to grow back 20. Even now things have improved since returning to liquid, but I feel about 5 years older than i did a few months ago when i was starting the foam