flutamide vs. spironolactone study

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Comparison of flutamide and spironolactone in the treatment of hirsutism: a randomized controlled trial.

Cusan L, Dupont A, Gomez JL, Tremblay RR, Labrie F.

Medical Research Council Group in Molecular Endocrinology, Centre Hospitalier, Universite Laval Research Center, Quebec, Canada.

OBJECTIVE: To compare the clinical efficacy and safety of the pure antiandrogen flutamide and the steroidal derivative spironolactone in the treatment of hirsutism in women. DESIGN: Fifty-three premenopausal women suffering from moderate to severe hirsutism were randomized into two groups and received either flutamide or spironolactone in association with a triphasic oral contraceptive (OC) pill. Hirsutism, acne, seborrhea, alopecia, and side effects were monitored monthly for a treatment period of 9 months and a follow-up after treatment period of 6 months. Blood samples were taken at each visit for assessment of endocrine, biochemical, and hematologic parameters. RESULTS: After only 6 months of therapy, flutamide caused a maximal reduction in the hirsutism score to a value within almost normal range; during the same period, spironolactone caused only a 30% reduction of the hirsutism score. Whereas flutamide caused a dramatic (80%) decrease in total acne, seborrhea, and hair loss score after only 3 months of therapy, spironolactone caused only a 50% reduction in acne and seborrhea, with no significant effect on the hair loss score. Four patients in the spironolactone group but only one in the flutamide group stopped the medication because of adverse side effects. CONCLUSION: The present data obtained in a randomized prospective study clearly demonstrate that the pure antiandrogen flutamide is superior to spironolactone in the treatment of female hirsutism and its related androgen-dependent symptoms and signs in women.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Thin: I'm afraid of using flutamide on my scalp. I've read that it gets into our systems and that's not good. Have you seen any studies that say flutamide doesn't get into our systems?

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no I haven't seen any but I did search. Some guys on other hair sites have posted thier making of a gel application so as to keep it from getting into the system. I still plan to use it though because I did read that some docs had hooked up some patients with minoxidil/flut combo in appropriate levels.

eliazush

Established Member
Reaction score
Why won't you use Fluridil (Eucapil)?? It a flutamide derivate and it's safe because it doesn't enter to the body, plus it's degraded when it touches water. It's a manipulated flutamide.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
thin=depressed said:
Unfortunately no I haven't seen any but I did search. Some guys on other hair sites have posted thier making of a gel application so as to keep it from getting into the system.

In my opinion, the Sintov study was rather poorly designed, and didn't eliminate the possibility that there was systemic absorption of the flutamide.

Other studies that have been done with topical flutamide are quite clear and unequivocal: there IS a very significant risk of systemic absorption. In fact, I can cite one study (Chen et al) which showed that flutamide's effect was due ONLY to systemic absorption of the drug. There was no "local" effect at all. None. Zero. Nada.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
eliazuh said:
Why won't you use Fluridil (Eucapil)?? It a flutamide derivate and it's safe because it doesn't enter to the body, plus it's degraded when it touches water. It's a manipulated flutamide.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a "flutamide derivative". It shares a certain basic chemical structure with flutamide, as described by Sovak in his fluridil study. But then, other non-steroidal antiandrogens like RU58841 have similar structures, too.

Bryan

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hydroxy-flutamide is a stronger antiandrogen than his precursor flutamide.

In a old post from B.S.
"The Effects of a Nonsteroid Antiandrogen, Flutamide, on Sebaceous
Gland Growth", Barry N. Lutsky et al, The Journal of Investigative
Dermatology, 64:412-417, 1975. This study also applied widely varying
doses of topical flutamide to only one of the flank organs in a group
of hamsters, but *both* flank organs in all the animals were reduced
by pretty much the same amount, respectively, at all doses.

Then, there is a clear systemic absorption.

Armando

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Thanks again Bryan, it was confusing me as to why people kept saying fluridil was basically flutamide. From what I've read it isn't. It's a shame because I bet it would go a long way in diminishing the effects of DHT. Oh well.

Thanks Armando! That's "seals it". No flutamide on my scalp until they find a way to keep it from absorbing into our systems.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
eliazuh said:
Thats interesting thanks for the input and I do believe I will be using fluridil.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thin=depressed said:
eliazuh said:
Thats for the input and I do believe I will be using fluridil.

I have seen no evidence or even poster anectodal evidence that Fluridil does anything. Anyone out there that can prove me wrong?

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is fluridil a munipulated flutamide or just flutamide hidden in a delivery agent that inhibits systemic absorbtion?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Read the fluridil study which is available online. They show the chemical structures of both flutamide and fluridil. You'll see that they are two different chemical compounds.

Bryan

viperfish

Reaction score
[/quote]I have seen no evidence or even poster anectodal evidence that Fluridil does anything. Anyone out there that can prove me wrong?[/quote]

If you go to hairlosshelp.com, you will find many posters that have had success with fluridil. In fact, the only ones that seem not to benefit from it are those who discontinue its use, due to irritation issues. Based on the studies that have been conducted and the posts that I have read, concerning fluridil, I think it is a really promising product. That is why I began using it over 3 weeks ago.

G

Bryan said:
thin=depressed said:
Unfortunately no I haven't seen any but I did search. Some guys on other hair sites have posted thier making of a gel application so as to keep it from getting into the system.

In my opinion, the Sintov study was rather poorly designed, and didn't eliminate the possibility that there was systemic absorption of the flutamide.

Other studies that have been done with topical flutamide are quite clear and unequivocal: there IS a very significant risk of systemic absorption. In fact, I can cite one study (Chen et al) which showed that flutamide's effect was due ONLY to systemic absorption of the drug. There was no "local" effect at all. None. Zero. Nada.

Bryan

Hey Bryan,
Can you please give me a link to this study? Can't find it anywhere. Found this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... ds=7594643

But I can't read your conclusion in it.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
tupperware said:
Hey Bryan,
Can you please give me a link to this study? Can't find it anywhere.

I don't know of anyplace that the full study is available online.

I have it as a scanned PDF (~ 2.5 MB). If either of you want it, drop me a PM or in Bryan's case, an e-mail.