First hair system... how does it look?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Please don't censor your eyebrows out of the pic when posting photos for others to evaluate.

but the hairline looks correct and seems to be a good blend for my temple points. What do you think?

It's p much the same as before. You need to bring it forward a good amount, and the concave shape of the hairline is really not helping either.

Think you need to try on something like a CC front contour and position it no more than 4 finger widths above your eyebrows... just so you can see how it *should* look. Consider that a baseline, and from there make *minor* tweaks to the contour and position of the hairline.

Yes there are people who have concave hairline shapes but mostly women and children it is much less common on adult men and in relation to your sides makes it look more like you're wearing a hat :(

You could pluck some hairs from the very front with a pair of tweezers to graduate the hairline.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Please don't censor your eyebrows out of the pic when posting photos for others to evaluate.

It's p much the same as before. You need to bring it forward a good amount, and the concave shape of the hairline is really not helping either.

Think you need to try on something like a CC front contour and position it no more than 4 finger widths above your eyebrows... just so you can see how it *should* look. Consider that a baseline, and from there make *minor* tweaks to the contour and position of the hairline.

Yes there are people who have concave hairline shapes but mostly women and children it is much less common on adult men and in relation to your sides makes it look more like you're wearing a hat :(

You could pluck some hairs from the very front with a pair of tweezers to graduate the hairline.
Ah that's kind of what I thought (temple points too juvenile) but the hairline connected to my temple points on the side so it seemed OK. I thought that the temple points looked like that because of the hair style but maybe they're actually too juvenile.

The stylist said that it's best not to cut the base around the hairline and I think that this is right. Last time, I requested that and the graduated hairline was gone. Are you suggesting to cut /pluck away some of the hair around the temple points to get a more reasonable grown man hairline?

It can't go any lower. I'm using the full 10 inches. Really I need 10.5 inches. What if I want to go for a LeBron high hairline look? Is this still wrong for that?

I know that the average person won't notice this at all but I want to get it right for myself. I bought this one because I wanted full realism and a beautiful hairline. Can I go back to the salon and ask them to do anything with this to improve it? Assume that it can't be placed any lower.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not saying it looks juvenile, exactly. I think it looks unnatural.

It can't go any lower. I'm using the full 10 inches. Really I need 10.5 inches.

what you do in that case is position the hairline where it's supposed to go and leave the hair in the back long and thick enough to cover the gap. If you still have bare skin showing through apply some dermmatch. I have done this myself with stocks that are 9.5" (I need the full 10")

If you're not using the full width of the piece you can graft some of the excess onto the back.

half an inch is a HUGE amount of extra recession, a couple of millimeters makes a very big difference!

The stylist said that it's best not to cut the base around the hairline and I think that this is right.

Surely someone cut into the hairline to make it this shape ? (OTOH why would you cut back the hairline if the piece is too small as it is? That is also very limiting as far as what you can now do to salvage it)

I'm all for carving small irregularities or tiny amounts of recession into a stock hairline to personalize it. To do that you really need to have a clear idea of exactly how it should look because every tiny little bit you cut from the hairline makes a huge difference when the piece is on your head.

What if I want to go for a LeBron high hairline look? Is this still wrong for that?

-Lebron's hairline is convex, not concave.
-Hairlines which are that severely receeded tend to also be very thin and you need to wear a very light density to pull off that kind of a look.
Then you would need to wear it longer than you had it before so that you don't expose the poly.

Your hairline is i think even higher than his and very strong. A heavily receded hairline shouldn't be so thick. The higher you position it, the lighter it needs to be to look believable.

The hairline should be a convex shape and should connect at the corners about 2-3 finger widths above your temple points, 3 fingers' width would be a very receeded hairline.

you suggesting to cut /pluck away some of the hair around the temple points to get a more reasonable grown man hairline?

Not exactly. I think you need to pluck the entire hairline, maybe a little extra at the temples, to soften it. because it's too strong to look realistic especially with the amount if recession you are adding by wearing it so high.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I'm not saying it looks juvenile, exactly. I think it looks unnatural.

what you do in that case is position the hairline where it's supposed to go and leave the hair in the back long and thick enough to cover the gap. If you still have bare skin showing through apply some dermmatch. I have done this myself with stocks that are 9.5" (I need the full 10")

If you're not using the full width of the piece you can graft some of the excess onto the back.

half an inch is a HUGE amount of extra recession, a couple of millimeters makes a very big difference!

Surely someone cut into the hairline to make it this shape ? (OTOH why would you cut back the hairline if the piece is too small as it is? That is also very limiting as far as what you can now do to salvage it)

I'm all for carving small irregularities or tiny amounts of recession into a stock hairline to personalize it. To do that you really need to have a clear idea of exactly how it should look because every tiny little bit you cut from the hairline makes a huge difference when the piece is on your head.

-Lebron's hairline is convex, not concave.
-Hairlines which are that severely receeded tend to also be very thin and you need to wear a very light density to pull off that kind of a look.
Then you would need to wear it longer than you had it before so that you don't expose the poly.

Your hairline is i think even higher than his and very strong. A heavily receded hairline shouldn't be so thick. The higher you position it, the lighter it needs to be to look believable.

The hairline should be a convex shape and should connect at the corners about 2-3 finger widths above your temple points, 3 fingers' width would be a very receeded hairline.

Not exactly. I think you need to pluck the entire hairline, maybe a little extra at the temples, to soften it. because it's too strong to look realistic especially with the amount if recession you are adding by wearing it so high.
Ok so first thing that I'll try on my next removal and reattach is see how much scalp is visible at the back when I put the hairline where it's supposed to go. Maybe that bit at the back can be covered up.

I have the bits on the base from the side. Is the idea to use adhesive tape to attach it to the back and then recut the base?

The hairline in my first system (first post) was cut into to give receded temples. But since the hairline had to sit high due to limited length, it looked wrong. The new system in the post from yesterday has the original hairline ; the stylist said that they would not mess with the hairline. Are you expecting a stock piece to have higher temple points (looks convex from the front)? I'm not ready to start plucking the hairs yet. Once I get a third system I can try it on my first.

This hair system stuff isn't easy....just when I'm used to removal and reattach, and wearing it in public, and fixing lifts, I have these challenges with the hairline. Maybe I should just get a custom system with 11" length, draw my desired hairline on myself with makeup pencil , and take it all to the salon...

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The hairline in my first system (first post) was cut into to give receded temples. But since the hairline had to sit high due to limited length, it looked wrong. The new system in the post from yesterday has the original hairline ;

Oh I see, this is not what i thought. It's just the way the hair is styled that's making it look this way, just took another look at the photo where you're holding the hair back and i see that it is in fact a convex hairline contour.

Ok so first thing that I'll try on my next removal and reattach is see how much scalp is visible at the back when I put the hairline where it's supposed to go. Maybe that bit at the back can be covered up.

YES.

Maybe I should just get a custom system with 11" length, draw my desired hairline on myself with makeup pencil , and take it all to the salon...

This is obviously what you should do.

First make a good template

then...

I have the bits on the base from the side. Is the idea to use adhesive tape to attach it to the back and then recut the base?

Once you have a template it will be easy to see the size and shape of the gap you need to fill.
So you would cut a piece of the spare bits to fit as best you can, and then graft it on with adhesive tape, yes. And apply a few coats of liquid polyurethane (or just clear nail varnish) over the tape

draw my desired hairline on myself with makeup pencil

take care with this, maybe post pics here for feedback or have the salon help.

Technologic0280

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this post either (?!) but with your features - facial hair and thick eyebrows - I think BOTH systems looked great. Honestly, I could not tell it was a system in either of your pics. FWIW, my salon does the same thing with density, and I had to go back 2-3 times to have it de-bulked because for ME, it was way too thick. What I've found is it will take new systems a month or so to "settle" too.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The hair itself looks good but the hairline is straight across which looks unnatural especially if you style it brushed back. You could you a small widows peak as that can mimic a natural front hairline.

Milkonos

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't really get what's the issue everyone seems to have here with heavy density ? I mean, of course it all depends on the age of doubleindemnity. But even then, are there really no one at all with great density who is not below 25 ? (I don't know the age at which the hair aren't "supposed to" be dense so I just threw out-- age "25")