First-ever System: Talk Me Down (or Not)

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
20190113_181342.jpg 20190202_030652.jpg 20190202_030658.jpg 20190202_030718.jpg 20190202_030727.jpg Today was the second time I put on the system. Honestly can't decide whether I like it or not--which is progress from a few days ago when I was sure I didn't. :) On the bright side, I'm already getting really good at putting it on with a minimum of drama.

This is a thinskin system that was originally left much longer. I shortened it and then thinned it out some. My thoughts: too dense, too dark, no grey (I'm 53), not a great color match (I've colored my bio hair to try and match it to the system, but it doesn't take color well), hairline is placed a little bit too high. Also, thinskin seems maybe not so great for the style I'm going for, which is a classic side-part with an exposed front hairline and a hard part. Finally, there's something odd about the texture of this unit that's not blending well with my bio-hair texture. This is a human/synthetic blend.

I know that we're all our own worst critics, so I could be wrong about all of the above. Thoughts?

Red October

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 111272 View attachment 111273 View attachment 111274 View attachment 111275 View attachment 111276 Today was the second time I put on the system. Honestly can't decide whether I like it or not--which is progress from a few days ago when I was sure I didn't. :) On the bright side, I'm already getting really good at putting it on with a minimum of drama.

This is a thinskin system that was originally left much longer. I shortened it and then thinned it out some. My thoughts: too dense, too dark, no grey (I'm 53), not a great color match (I've colored my bio hair to try and match it to the system, but it doesn't take color well), hairline is placed a little bit too high. Also, thinskin seems maybe not so great for the style I'm going for, which is a classic side-part with an exposed front hairline and a hard part. Finally, there's something odd about the texture of this unit that's not blending well with my bio-hair texture. This is a human/synthetic blend.

I know that we're all our own worst critics, so I could be wrong about all of the above. Thoughts?
Hey man. I know nothing about hair systems. I came on this forum more for the finasteride and minoxidil thing. However, I would say it looks really good from the photos you've posted. Was it expensive?

Goldie Locks

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with others! The system looks great. I can't see much greys on your sides so don't think you should worry about that. Parting is ON POINT too! Density is very natural. Can't really see the hairline because the pics aren't sharp enough but it seems perfectly fine. Well done on doing it yourself!
PS: my friend is in his 50s and he's got no greys at all (naturally)

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you everyone! I've been on this forum long enough to know that people are honest and don't hold back if they see a fake-looking system, so I'm pretty stunned that mine got such good reviews! I really can't BELIEVE the number I've been doing on myself for the last week about this thing. Enough of that nonsense--no more being my own worst critic and freaking out that it's too this and not enough that.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man. I know nothing about hair systems. I came on this forum more for the finasteride and minoxidil thing. However, I would say it looks really good from the photos you've posted. Was it expensive?

Actually, this one didn't cost me anything. I'm a haircutter and volunteered my modeling services for a group of other barbers and cosmetologists who were taking a hands-on seminar in hair replacement. I took the online version of the class myself.

In terms of usual expense though, in my city it costs $800+ to get it done in a salon. But one can also go the DIY route, in which case the cost can be as low as $200 for a stock piece and $50 for someone to cut it in. It doesn't have to break the bank.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 111272 View attachment 111273 View attachment 111274 View attachment 111275 View attachment 111276 Today was the second time I put on the system. Honestly can't decide whether I like it or not--which is progress from a few days ago when I was sure I didn't. :) On the bright side, I'm already getting really good at putting it on with a minimum of drama.

Looks super natural. Well done.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I like that you've gone for a recession on the hairline and that you keep your hair relatively flat. So it is more age-appropriate. I don't think the density is too much but if you got grey put in there then that would take quite a bit of 'impact' out of the system and it would look lighter and more natural.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's tough to know about the hairline. On the one hand, you're right about the higher hairline being age-appropriate. But on the other hand, it's not very flattering and that realistic high hairline is probably the reason many guys get systems in the first place. I'll say this: it's amazing to me how moving the hairline up or down even the tiniest fraction makes a huge difference. For my next system, I'm thinking like 1/4" down from where it is now. Still age-appropriate, but definitely more flattering on me.

Yeah, I would have liked some grey in this. This is a 3 Ash, which is 1-2 levels too dark and too cool (meaning "not a neutral or a warm") both for my sidehair and my skintone. I've been trying to think of ways to break up the solid color, but it would involve bleach and I know of no way to realistically fake 20% grey with mere color technique.