First day of finasteride

Warrior101

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay guys.. here i start my fight against hairloss... i just swallowed the first piece of my 1/5 proscar...( didnt feel any different though lol)
One question i have is that i cut the tablet into 5 pieces.. but they dont look very identicle or same size... wud that have any effect on my doseage or results??

People, help me out with this proscar cutting thing... i have already waste 2 pills :eek: .. the parts that i cut look so un even.. thanks to the bulge in the middle of the pill :-x

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
try cutting fourths it's easier....It helps to use a really sharp instrument for cutting....Break away box cutters (the small ones) work great for this.

G

I already posted this on the 'what to do' thread, but I will repost here.......

Pill cutters are a load of crap, they never work very well, especially on a small pill like proscar.

I use a surgical scalpel which you can buy at most art/craft shops.

CUT.jpg

For those who are right handed:

Take your scalpel blade (no need to buy the handle) in your right hand

place it on the pill where you would like to cut

put your left index finger (the one next to your thumb) on the back of the blade

and with this finger (index on the the left hand) slowly push down,

the pill will split, and nothing will shoot off as the soft fleshy 'finger print' area of your left index finger will grip the pill.

swannmorton10.jpg

Flat edged '11' surgical scalpel blade

I use a SWANN MORTON 11 or 10A blade, many will work, try not to get one with a rounded or curved blade, 11 and 10A have flat/straight blades.

swannmorton11.jpg

a slight variation in doses (1.1mg - 0.8mg - 0.9mg and so on) is unlikely to have any effect on finasterides long term efficacy, as you will be getting an exact 5mg every 5 days and finasteride has a long half life.

the cutting thing really does get easier with time, I have lost only 2 fingers.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use a new (sharp) razor blade, place on paper towel and use this as a guide:

http://hairloss.cyberatlantis.com/proscar.php

...can't link directly to it. Just scroll down to:

"Can't figure out how to cut that odd shaped Proscar tablet into fifths (1mg)? Use this."

...and click "this". Works really well for me.

Warrior101

Established Member
Reaction score
I cut the tablets using the exact same guide, with a sharp pill cutter... the result was that by the look of it, the small parts were exactly identical to the one in the picture, but some looked bigger(the two in the middle) than the others as the people who made the proscar cutting pics do not take into account the bulge or thickness in the middle of the tablet.. so that way our doseage wud be irregular... :eek:

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
These are only slight variations in dosage and don't matter. The key is to get a brand new household razor blade.

G

Warrior101 said:
alright.... damn but i payed like 10 bucks for a pill cutter... :-x

yeah me too!!!! I always ended up with a load of uneven bits and lots of powder!

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Same here.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Don't know what type of pill cutter you boys are using but mine works great -- cuts sharply with hardly any crumbs. And I've been using a pill cutter for almost four years. I think I got mine at Duane Reade (NYC) but you can get the same one at CVS, Eckerd, etc. It was about $4 or $5.

D.