finasteride vs dutasteride for Beginner. Lowest Dosage Possible? Also Beard Growth?

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm currently on oral minoxidil (2.5 mg once daily) and have been since September 1st. So, coming up on 4 months. No negative side effects at all as far as I can tell. And I've seen IMO much less hair shed which I attribute to the minoxidil. I even think I've seen some vellus hairs on my face and temples that I hope turn terminal.

I am quite confident that I was a non-responder to topical minoxidil after using it on my scalp and face for 1.5 to 2.5 years with no results. There are countless people who see beard growth using topical minoxidil and you find these results on /r/MinoxBeards over at Reddit. However, I saw no such results and I believe it was because I was a non-responder to the topical version.

I am willing to take finasteride or dutasteride but I am mostly concerned about the potential loss of DHT affecting my beard growth.

I figured I'd give it until May next year to see if I've had any results with 8 months of Oral Minoxidil and then I would add finasteride or dutasteride based on those results.

But what is the lowest dosage recommended because I have see some very mixed reports about the lowest dosage needed to see results with either.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it can happen for sure. Perhaps try a lower dose of finasteride, maybe 1mg EOD or 0.5mg a day, or even as little as .25mg can inhibit 50% of serum DHT. And also increase oral min to 2.5 TWICE a day to help with facial hair more. You could also try microneedling for the beard (and scalp too). MSM is a supplement that should help hair all over too.

ChrisK9662

My Regimen
Reaction score
In a few months I will try to get on 0.50 mg or 0.25 mg ED or EOD. Is the lowest dosage pill they make 1 mg?

MrSnow

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it can happen for sure. Perhaps try a lower dose of finasteride, maybe 1mg EOD or 0.5mg a day, or even as little as .25mg can inhibit 50% of serum DHT. And also increase oral min to 2.5 TWICE a day to help with facial hair more. You could also try microneedling for the beard (and scalp too). MSM is a supplement that should help hair all over too.
what is MSM ?