finasteride vs. dutasteride - continuous protection against DHT ? any graphs

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am wondering dutasteride should be superior because of its long life compared to finasteride. What is the half-life of finasteride?
Is there any plot for serum or scalp dht as a function of time (24 hours) for finasteride and dutasteride. my guess is that it should help to add dutasteride once a week to the finasteride routine for this purpose.
if finasteride protects dht against only for 12 hours, then we are not going to be sucessful in the fight against dht with finasteride.
if dutasteride gives round the clock protection, then it should be superior even at very low doses.

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
well, dutasteride not only stays longer in the body, but it's more powerful, and blocks both types of 5AR..

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks shosho. my opinion is that if we take dutasteride at very low dosages (the equivalent or propecia which blocks only less than 70%), my guess is that finasteride reduces the dht only for 12 hours or so. if finasteride does not protect round the clock, then the dutasteride should be superior at low doses also.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I don't think that one dose of dutasteride weekly is enough, unless it's a rather high dosage to keep the same DRUG in the system.

Both finasteride and dutasteride inhibit the formation of DHT by different means. Therefore, I would have to lay aside the theory of using both drugs, and opt for using dutasteride on a daily basis or an every other day basis for complete DHT control.

Although finasteride does have a short half-life, it may be beneficial to the body to have some DHT forming after the medication is done working its charm.

--It kind of concerns me knowing how powerful Avodart is. I'm afraid that it might damage the 5AR in my body forever, not just during treatment. I'm especially concerned of any neurological implications this might have, as well, because 5AR Type I exists in the brain, one of the targeted inhibition sites for dutasteride.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Those are interesting links! Thanks for that.

It appears in the first link that dutasteride has a lower chance of side effects!

Also, everything seems to suggest the greater efficacy of dutasteride. Dutasteride has less variation and more inhibition of DHT than finasteride.

Good stuff.

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
If dutasteride stays a bit longer in the body, is it okay if I take it every other day? Because it's expensive for me, so if 1 box could last for 2 months, it would be very nice.

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for one year and the right side of my hairline is really starting to go. Would there be any benefit to switch to dutasteride?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
shosho said:
If dutasteride stays a bit longer in the body, is it okay if I take it every other day? Because it's expensive for me, so if 1 box could last for 2 months, it would be very nice.
Have you considered using generic dutasteride?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
shosho said:
Slartibartfast said:
Have you considered using generic dutasteride?
I don't trust it. :(
I suppose you could always take genuine and generic dutasteride on alternate days. It wouldn't cut your bill as much as using purely generic but at least you would know you were getting a half dose of the real drug, and in all likelihood the benefits of a full, daily dose.

Slarti