finasteride halting muscle gains?

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure either but this is what Wikipedia says:

"DHT has been shown to be deactivated in skeletal muscle through the actions of 3-alpha hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and therefore does not have a significant effect on muscle hypertrophy (growth)."

So maybe a little.

DHT is responsible for male secondary sex characteristics which are pretty much all the things you get during puberty...facial hair, deep voice, muscles, etc. And from what I've read, DHT is also important in maintaining these things. I guess (and I'm hoping someone can confirm this) the left over DHT after taking finasteride is enough to serve this function... I really hope.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Christoff said:
I just read this. Kind of scared me. I've been weight lifting avidly for a while now. Am I inhibiting anything?

finisteride will halt muscle gains because of its strong inhibiting factors...I had this happen and when I stopped the propecia the gains came back again...its too strong of an antiandrogen

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids ... oss+nioxin

i think that is incorrect. My brother is a living example his been on finasteride for around 6 years, and he continues to stack on the muscle. He is 5'9 and weighs 87kg with very little body fat. So dont worry finasteride wont hold you bak from putting on muscle. Goodluck

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, some good news. I used my university's website to search through some medical databases. Here's a snippet of info relevant to your concern:

"Finasteride is the first of a new class of selective 5 alpha-R inhibitors, which block androgenic effects on the scalp and prostate without inhibiting serum testosterone. Thus, desired androgen effects such as muscle strength, sexual function and bone density are maintained."

Source:
TI: Managing hair loss.
PA: Rosen RH
SO: Curr Ther, 1998 Jun; 39 (6): 43-6,48-51

mrfuture

Reaction score
Well, I do not know what to think. I googled "muscles and Finasteride" and I heard both versions of the story.

Specifically, on a website a guy that works out said that while on propecia he lost power and muscles. He said he went to get his blood checked and his testosterone was low. The guy, for the record, was 44.

However, here's the opposite story. A bodybuilder guy wrote a long article on how to maximize the effects of steroids.

His number one suggestion was to get on Finasteride, since DHT is a bi-product of Testosterone. He says that you do not want Testosterone to be wasted into DHT, since it is useless for muscle. He said that you want to keep as much testosterone as possible in the body to maximize muscle growth.

Another hint in favour of finasteride and muscle is that there's a very popular bodybulding supplement that guarantees maximum testosterone boost by avoiding the conversion into DHT.

They say that DHT is what you do not want when building muscles. They aslo say it is not good for sex (?) Among their ingredients I saw Saw Palmetto....so I guess that that's what they use...but forget about whether saw palmetto is effective or not, what is important is their theory.

Now, it all kind of make sense in a way. I read many times that DHT is super important for us when we grow and develop into men. After that, we do not really need it as much, since we are already developed, and the theory is that since it is unused by the time we get older, it starts to accumulate in the prostate and the scalp, causing damage to the hair.

Now, we must remember that when testosterone does not convert into DHT, it stays in the body in a "extra" amount, some say as much as 15%.

This extra amount is supposedly what bodybuilders look for.

Most importantly, it MUST be stated that I heard of many situations in which people actually get hornier while on finasteride, as a result of the extra testosterone floating in the body.

However, some people claim that DHT is super important for sexual activity...

I do not know what to believe....but I always heard that to have muscles and to have sexual energy you need testosterone, I never heard of DHT before knowing about finasteride.

So I don't know....

Future

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using finasteride for 4 months now and started to get back into weight lifting a few weeks ago..... so far, i've been noticing pretty good gain.

Maybe finasteride has a slight affect on muscle gain, but for sure I wouldn't say that it "halts" it completely.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, inhibiting DHT could have a small negative effect in muscle gains, but nothing important to worry about ;) , as long as you eat well, healthy and you eat enough protein and you sleep well, you will do more than good, and your muscles won't feel at all that you are in Propecia.

Also, take in mind that a lot of Male and Female Bodybuilders are on Propecia to prevent losing their hair due of Anabolics. :wink:

What I basically mean is that if you don't take Propecia and you eat like sh*t, you will have more negative effect in muscles that if you take Propecia and follow a good diet.

Of course I'm talking about people who work out in gym.

Greetings.

porajj

Established Member
Reaction score
Been exercising everyday since Jan.

Been getting faster

Been getting bigger

Been able to swim way more

Been on Propecia since Jan.

Been going to parties where the reaction is "Holy fark dude! Have you been lifting?"

Been not thinking Propecia or DHT inhibs cause muscle gain issues.

nomen

Reaction score
Skaff said:
I'm not sure either but this is what Wikipedia says:

"DHT has been shown to be deactivated in skeletal muscle through the actions of 3-alpha hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and therefore does not have a significant effect on muscle hypertrophy (growth)."

Well thats true, we have very little or none DHT in our muscel tissue due to the 3A hydrox enzyme. Perhaps this should be a new thread but do U think 3alpha hydrox could act as a substitute for Finastride ?

DHT still plays a significant role in muscel strenght. First of all DHT affects the CNS to output more strength. DHT is also neccesary for the liver to produce growth hormones such as IGF-1 which are believed to increase muscel mass.

nomen

Reaction score
I have heard several anecdotal reports of individuals who have stacked testosterone with Proscar (a 5-AR inhibitor) and have noticed significantly reduced performance enhancement effects. What's going on here? We know it couldn't be due to the inhibition of the direct anabolic activity of testosterone on muscle anabolism. Most likely it is due to the reduction of androgenic effects in other parts of the body that contribute to the ergogenic effects. Specifically the CNS, which is stimulated by androgens to increase neural output leading to greater strength and greater recoverability. Another possibility is a reduction in the production of androgen dependent liver growth factors (such as IGF-1), since DHT is an important androgen in the liver.

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php ... 4557&page=

Hades

Reaction score
well i've been on propecia since april and i can say this surely i've achieved significant muscle gain :) "without heavy training", my muscles never been this good in my entire life. i really amazed but i have to say this i exprienced sexual side effects at some level and feel lazy :S