Finasteride-associated cataract and ...

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride-associated cataract and intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome.

A 47-year-old man who had been using finasteride for male pattern alopecia for 4 years complained of progressive bilateral blurring of vision. His general health had been good, and he was not on any other long-term medication. Examination showed bilateral anterior subcapsular cataracts. Phacoemulsification and insertion of intraocular lenses were performed, and both eyes showed features of intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome (IFIS), including undulation and billowing of the iris, iris prolapse, and pupil constriction. We believe the use of finasteride can be associated with cataract formation and IFIS. Ophthalmologists and physicians prescribing finasteride should be aware of this possible association

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21555201

every months new possible gifts from fina r discovered ...

beaner

Reaction score
Propecia said:
Finasteride-associated cataract and intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome.

every months new possible gifts from fina r discovered ...

They didn't discover anything. There is nothing in that article indicating that finasteride caused these cataracts. That article is garbage.

It's like saying that a man has been taking aspirin for back pain for five years. The man now has lung cancer. Aspirin causes lung cancer.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
They didn't discover anything. There is nothing in that article indicating that finasteride caused these cataracts. That article is garbage.

It's like saying that a man has been taking aspirin for back pain for five years. The man now has lung cancer. Aspirin causes lung cancer.

maybe they have some reason to argue that

u don't think that they have rewiewed a scientifical literature on the case and so on? or u believe that if now i got a flu i run to write an article saing finasteride caused that they gladly publish my "research"

just some more

Intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome and finasteride intake.
Issa SA, Dagres E.
Department of Ophthalmology, James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, Cleveland TS4 3BW, United Kingdom.
Abstract
We report 2 male patients who had bilateral cataract surgery. Both patients had features of the intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome (IFIS) in both eyes, and both were taking oral finasteride for the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). We conclude that finasteride can be associated with IFIS, so it is important to take detailed medical histories of patients having cataract surgery, paying attention to a history of BPH and its treatment.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18053919

Propecia-associated bilateral cataract.

Chou SY, Kao SC, Hsu WM.
Abstract
A 43-year-old man presented suffering from decreasing vision in both eyes for 3 months. The patient's visual acuity was 6/20 (non-corrected) in the right eye and 6/10 (-1.75/-1.00 x 91) in the left. Ocular examination of both eyes revealed anterior subcapsular opacities of both lenses with the right eye being more severe than the left. He had been taking finasteride (Propecia; Merck, Sharp and Dohme) at 1 mg/day for 3 years to treat early stage of androgenic alopecia. It was highly suspected that finasteride was associated with the anterior subcapsular opacity on the lens, and the patient therefore discontinued use of finasteride. He underwent uneventful cataract extraction surgery and intraocular lens implantation of the right eye. One month after cataract surgery in the right eye, the best-corrected visual acuity was right 6/6 (-1.25) and left 6/10 (-2.00/-0.50 x 100). To the best of the authors' knowledge, this is the first reported case of Propecia-associated cataract.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14746605

beaner

Reaction score
Propecia said:
beaner said:

maybe they have some reason to argue that

u don't think that they have rewiewed a scientifical literature on the case and so on? or u believe that if now i got a flu i run to write an article saing finasteride caused that they gladly publish my "research"

just some more

Intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome and finasteride intake.
Issa SA, Dagres E.
Department of Ophthalmology, James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, Cleveland TS4 3BW, United Kingdom.
Abstract
We report 2 male patients who had bilateral cataract surgery. Both patients had features of the intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome (IFIS) in both eyes, and both were taking oral finasteride for the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). We conclude that finasteride can be associated with IFIS, so it is important to take detailed medical histories of patients having cataract surgery, paying attention to a history of BPH and its treatment.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18053919

Propecia-associated bilateral cataract.

Chou SY, Kao SC, Hsu WM.
Abstract
A 43-year-old man presented suffering from decreasing vision in both eyes for 3 months. The patient's visual acuity was 6/20 (non-corrected) in the right eye and 6/10 (-1.75/-1.00 x 91) in the left. Ocular examination of both eyes revealed anterior subcapsular opacities of both lenses with the right eye being more severe than the left. He had been taking finasteride (Propecia; Merck, Sharp and Dohme) at 1 mg/day for 3 years to treat early stage of androgenic alopecia. It was highly suspected that finasteride was associated with the anterior subcapsular opacity on the lens, and the patient therefore discontinued use of finasteride. He underwent uneventful cataract extraction surgery and intraocular lens implantation of the right eye. One month after cataract surgery in the right eye, the best-corrected visual acuity was right 6/6 (-1.25) and left 6/10 (-2.00/-0.50 x 100). To the best of the authors' knowledge, this is the first reported case of Propecia-associated cataract.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14746605

They are making an association between finasteride and cataracts with absolutely nothing backing this up. They are giving absolutely no scientific explanation as to why they think the two are related which makes all of this completely meaningless.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
They are making an association between finasteride and cataracts with absolutely nothing backing this up. They are giving absolutely no scientific explanation as to why they think the two are related which makes all of this completely meaningless.

Again, this is garbage.

we don't have full access to the studies, and "i guess" there would be a certain degree of scientific research before state a causal relation and being published.

it is reasonable?

beaner

Reaction score
Propecia said:

Again, this is garbage.

we don't have full access to the studies, and "i guess" there would be a certain degree of scientific research before state a causal relation and being published.

it is reasonable?

It's reasonable to assume there may be additional information not posted in that link, but until anyone knows that for sure, what you have posted means nothing and should be ignored. You really should not have even posted it and certainly should not have put "Finasteride associated cataracts" in big bold letters. This is very misleading to people who already worry way to much about side effects, especially one that is very unlikely.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
what you have posted means nothing and should be ignored.

r u kidding?

It's reasonable to assume there may be additional information not posted in that link, but until anyone knows that for sure

let me put it simple:
A scientific publication For being published needs to reach a hi degree of scientific standard. that's a fact. these 3 articles got this standard.

i can guess that professors more competent than me and you have decided that ther'is a causal correlation and let the studies been published.

Do you have some PHd in ophtalmology to assume the contrary?
or even that these studies are garbage?

please.

another thing is saying that all the people that assume fina will lost their eyes. I never said anything like that, nor that this is a common side

Rawtashk

Reaction score
To the best of the authors' knowledge, this is the first reported case of Propecia-associated cataract.

So, you're going to wave the flag of terror after one instance that people THINK might have to do with finasteride? Sounds quite a bit premature to me.

Also, if you're going to put that much stock into a few reports of 1 or 2 people...then what about this one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21910805

It says that side effects are mild, and usually present in only about 6% of the people taking it long-term.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
So, you're going to wave the flag of terror after one instance that people THINK might have to do with finasteride? Sounds quite a bit premature to me.

i'm going to flag nothing.
I just found this new (at least for me) fina side effect and i shared it.

So if maybe some fina taker has some eyes problem, MAYBE is right to blame fina ....

then what about this one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21910805

It says that side effects are mild, and usually present in only about 6% of the people taking it long-term.

oh, i just focused on eyes problem, for others problems i think we spoke a lot

probably i misunderstood (i'm not english motherlanguage) but in the study that u posted is written:
118 men were enrolled in this uncontrolled study

apart that, is more important recall that that study was performed from a group of dermatologists.

however in this thread i was talking only about cataract and ifis

james_here

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 46 years old, and have been taking Propecia for nearly 20 years. While it's been good for maintaining my hair, I'm concerned that the trade-offs are pretty serious. I was recently diagnosed for cataracts, and I've been having more challenges with short-term memory and mixing up words lately. I recently noticed that my 50-year old friend who had a hair transplant many years ago (and I assume is taking Propecia) has been mixing up words too. We're too young for this sh*t!?! I recently cut back from 7 tablets of Propecia per week to 3 tablets, and I will likely drop it entirely soon. Interested if others are having similar experiences/ side effects? It seems like there are not a lot of great long-term studies on the drug.

sunlight2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another 46 year old here, taking AR2 blockers like finasteride and dutasteride for 20+ years and recently diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes.. I think there really is something in this.