Finasteride and weights

Reaction score
Hey guys, like alot of people here I'm on finasteride for and I also do weight training everyday (but alternate between different muscle groups). I wondered, do you think that finasteride is actually beneficial for building muscle?

As we all know, finasteride prevents testosterone being converted into dihydrotestosterone, thus testosterone levels in the body are raised almost as a side effect of finasteride usage. Also, testosterone, unlike with the other primary and secondary male sexual characteristics, is more important for muscular development than DHT. In this respect maybe finasteride acts kind of like a steroid? I know it's classed as an aza-steroid, but what do you think?

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride only raises testosterone levels by a small amount and only for a brief period while starting on the drug...

Finnjävel

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been working out for about three years, with 13 months on the big three now. I don't think it has affected my gains in any real way.

matinfisher

Reaction score
I trained for about 15 years due to a back problem I have, but in the last two years I have lost muscle, even during training. There is no bomb and no visible increase in size, even when moving the masses.

CCS

Reaction score
Ive been working out on and off the last 17 years, mostly off. I've been on finasteride for 8 years. I have not seen any muscle difference at all. No side effects, no drastic hair changes, nothing. Just my hair loss stopped in its tracks. I switched brands, even did dutasteride for 6 months, still so no change. Then I stopped taking pills for 2 months. My hair recessed and thinned a bit. I got back on finasteride, and the hair came right back in one month, with the help of nizoral too, which I had also stopped during the 2 months. Definitely works. The only reason I stopped for those 2 months was I misplaced my pills and did not have the money to buy more.

CCS

Reaction score
I did more research. Some guys with normal testosterone took Clomid and had before and after blood tests and posted them on body building forums. The results were not the same as the old men with low testosterone levels.
They healthy young men increased testosterone levels by only 30%, and doubled estrogen, and got very high LH levels. Libido went up, as did workout results, but so did plenty of acne. So I don't think a Clomid is worth it.

From what I've read, all steroid users get ball shrinkage, and they just live with it for many weeks until they are ready to come off their cycle and do PCT.

Some say low dose testosterone is the safest, but even that has plenty of side effects.

Deca Durbolin is considered the safest steroid for the punch, since it is 50% as anabolic as test, and aromatizes 20% as much as test, and does not turn to DHT. It is very low in many side effects such as acne and hair loss. The downsides are still many:
1. You can test positive typically for a year, but upwards of 1.5 years.
2. It mimics progesterone, and can shut down your testes by negative feedback.
3. Even though it is not estrogenic, it can still cause gyno because progesterone is just as responsible for gyno as estrogen is, especially at this dose.
I wonder if there are any progesterone receptor blockers that can be taken with it.

Also, Deca Durbolin, like most steroids, increases your blood pressure and worsens your cholesterol numbers.

I talked to a big proponent of Deca Durbolin. But even he said if I use it I will gain 15 pounds of muscle in 2 months, lose at least 1/4 in the next month, and lose the rest within 6 months. He said you can't keep that much muscle on your own without the gear. He also said once you see that muscle and how good it looks, and you watch it fade, you will be addicted and want to do it more, not only to look good again, but to get even bigger.

If you stay on the gear, your lipids and blood pressure will be bad year around, and everything will go up and down up and down and hopefully not get ruined. Some even said when you stimulate your muscle androgen receptors that much, they get desensitized and reduce how much you can grow naturally afterward.

But a big issue is your muscles grow faster than your tendons do. You can get injured more easily, and your muscle is just show. If you really put to the test, your tendons can break.

I'm not as muscular as I'd like, but I bet my hormones are very good right now, probably about average or slightly above. I've been told that at my size and strength I still have plenty of potential even without using stuff. So I don't think it is worth it for me right now to get into any of this.

CCS

Reaction score
Well, I think a more accurate statement is that each person is different, and that you should do before and after tests to see how your body reacts. Also make sure you have all the possibly needed PCT stuff ready before you start a cycle. If someone is not already injured, and has been working out a while, they can probably add 10 pounds of muscle without pulling a tendon. As someone said, one cycle probably won't cause any permanent set backs for people over age 30. So I'm not bashing anyone who does cycles. I'm just saying if you are pre-disposed to balding and not using RU, don't be surprised if you go up a Norwood. When messing with your hormones you can't be too cheap to buy RU or some blood tests.

ice2613

Reaction score
my DHT levels dropped by 33% and my Free test doubled in 1 month on finasteride. My body looked incredible but i had more acne and my hair continued to shed.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy as Larry said:
As we all know, finasteride prevents testosterone being converted into dihydrotestosterone, thus testosterone levels in the body are raised almost as a side effect of finasteride usage. Also, testosterone, unlike with the other primary and secondary male sexual characteristics, is more important for muscular development than DHT. In this respect maybe finasteride acts kind of like a steroid? I know it's classed as an aza-steroid, but what do you think?

If your assumption was correct, you’d have a constant hard on.

If your test was so high, you’d be better in bed than a p**rn star.

andysutils

Reaction score
Happy as Larry said:
do you think that finasteride is actually beneficial for building muscle?
No, it will be quite the opposite.

ice2613 said:
my DHT levels dropped by 33% and my Free test doubled in 1 month on finasteride. My body looked incredible but i had more acne and my hair continued to shed.

What were your blood readings for ml testosterone, what were the reference ranges and what was your SHBG count and there reference ranges?

jonathan123

Reaction score
well im training just like u guys but i get sides from finasteride and it makes me tierd through training.
i doesnt feel agrressive like before finasteride.
but when i jump off it comes back.
im taking 0.12 mg EOD.

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
I am the strongest I have ever been did 275 on the bench press a few days ago, next time I test my max it will probably be 285

Yesterday I benched 105 pound dumbells for 8 reps first set, 6 reps second set

I feel more motivated to in the gym, maybe its because I have heard anecdotal evidence of people getting weaker/more feminine will on finasteride

marklee

Reaction score
Finasteride is also prescribed for men with enlarged prostates,so it's no wonder you are having some problems with abnormal ejaculation,which is probably not worrisome.If you still get the good feeling,then that's what counts,right? You are under a doctor's supervision. Tell him your concerns. Do not go off the drug without your doctor's approval.

I doubt if a hernia would cause the problems you describe. But again, if you suspect a hernia--an unusual bulge in the groin area--you should see a doctor about that. Hernias can be life threatening.

MadMartigan

Reaction score
I think this thread should be merged with this thread on the same subject:

"Is it true that finasteride helps with muscle gaining?"
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=68428&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Can admin do that?

I have written about my experience after that I started finasteride compared to when I worked out without them.

I experience a loss in muscle contraction and for now I have to make up for the loss of strength somewhat with PWO-supplements.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Nex said:
I am the strongest I have ever been did 275 on the bench press a few days ago, next time I test my max it will probably be 285

I feel more motivated to in the gym, maybe its because I have heard anecdotal evidence of people getting weaker/more feminine will on finasteride

My sex drive suffers a bit on finasteride but the "more feminine" thing is bullshit unless you're one of the few who gets waaaaay too much estrogen and starts getting gyno and stuff. I gained 15 pounds of muscle on finasteride and my lifts went up huge during this time...I took some time off, stayed consistent enugh not to lose any mass, and I'm about to start trying to bulk another 20-25 pounds in the next six months or so (I was insanely skinny)

MadMartigan

Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Nex said:

My sex drive suffers a bit on finasteride but the "more feminine" thing is bullshit unless you're one of the few who gets waaaaay too much estrogen and starts getting gyno and stuff. I gained 15 pounds of muscle on finasteride and my lifts went up huge during this time...I took some time off, stayed consistent enugh not to lose any mass, and I'm about to start trying to bulk another 20-25 pounds in the next six months or so (I was insanely skinny)

Don't you think that you could have performed even better without finasteride?

15 pounds of muscle in what time?

I'm afraid that 20-25 pounds of lean muscle in six months can't be done without juicing.

I have gained 30 pounds in five years... Some of this is water. In a perfect situation you can gain about 2 pounds/year of lean muscle. Of course you can gain some more in the beginning. With steroids or pro hormones of course a lot more.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
MadMartigan said:

I'm afraid that 20-25 pounds of lean muscle in six months can't be done without juicing.

I have gained 30 pounds in five years... Some of this is water. In a perfect situation you can gain about 2 pounds/year of lean muscle. Of course you can gain some more in the beginning. With steroids or pro hormones of course a lot more.

No, I don't think I would have performed better without finasteride.

And no, 20-25 pounds of muscle in six months does not require juicing. If you're 6'2 and weigh 140-160, you can put 25 pounds of lean muscle on in under six months. Once you hit 195-200, then you can't put it on nearly as fast.

Two pounds a year is absurdly low and you just aren't eating right if that's the best you can do.

MadMartigan

Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
MadMartigan said:

No, I don't think I would have performed better without finasteride.

And no, 20-25 pounds of muscle in six months does not require juicing. If you're 6'2 and weigh 140-160, you can put 25 pounds of lean muscle on in under six months. Once you hit 195-200, then you can't put it on nearly as fast.

Two pounds a year is absurdly low and you just aren't eating right if that's the best you can do.

No, you are absolutely right. It is much faster to put on muscle at the beginning. I weighed 198 pounds and now weighs 201.52 and have also lost some fat. (I estimate that my BF is just below 20%). When I adjusted my high estrogen levels (caused by finasteride), I was able able to race through this plateau, that I have struggled with for a year, within a few months.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont get how so many people encourage people to buy RU its not approved for hair loss. It never came out and was never thoroughly researched aside from a few prelim studies I mean people claim its some magical super anti androgen but its not proven to be the case and probably never will be since they are done studying it. Its just another experimental trreatment stick to proven things.