Finasteride and the liver.

Jack23

Reaction score
So I am very close to joining the Propecia bandwagon. Before I do though, I have been doing a risk assesment and analyzing the pros versus the cons of starting treatment. The sexual side affects aren't that scary to me as I have a bit of a fridgid girlfriend. I am thinking that it may even improve our relationship if I get limpdick. :lol:

That said, I am worried about is this stuff damaging my other body systems, especially since you get a daily shot of the stuff. I have read that prostate cancer risk is reduced while on Proscar, though those who get prostate cancer are more likely to get a high grade cancer than those not on Proscar.

So what about the liver? Merck's website says:

"Caution should be used in patients with liver function abnormalities, as finasteride is metabolized extensively in the liver."

What exactly does this mean? What sort of effects does finasteride have on the liver? Should I avoid other medicine, like tylenol, that is processed by the liver? What about drinking booze?

While I am pretty sure that if you couldn't drink while taking this stuff, there would be a warning on it in size 48 font but I would really like to know what the deal is with it. I don't want to be jaundiced and bald.

If anyone has any info or has any study links, that would be great.

Jack

camobear777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I recently stopped taking propecia after 15 months of treatment due to elevated hormones. When I had my liver function test it was 2 points above normal. My Doctor said that is no problem but in the past I never had any problems. Unfortunately I had many side effects on Propecia just did not agree with me.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
My liver levels were messed up before starting proscar but after 10 tests and the doctors doing nothing but running me in circles i said f*** it and started finasteride anyway. I'm going back for blood work in a few weeks, well see what the results say.

I wish you could check your bloodwork stuff online instead of having to go back to the docs for results.

Jack23

Reaction score
Well I shouldn't worry too hard. I just did my liver in with a bottle of Bushmills. Happy St Patricks Day.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Hey thanks Jack,
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you,too. Cheers! (I pound my Heineken)

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Jack23 said:
So I am very close to joining the Propecia bandwagon. Before I do though, I have been doing a risk assesment and analyzing the pros versus the cons of starting treatment. The sexual side affects aren't that scary to me as I have a bit of a fridgid girlfriend. I am thinking that it may even improve our relationship if I get limpdick. :lol:

That said, I am worried about is this stuff damaging my other body systems, especially since you get a daily shot of the stuff. I have read that prostate cancer risk is reduced while on Proscar, though those who get prostate cancer are more likely to get a high grade cancer than those not on Proscar.

So what about the liver? Merck's website says:

"Caution should be used in patients with liver function abnormalities, as finasteride is metabolized extensively in the liver."

What exactly does this mean? What sort of effects does finasteride have on the liver? Should I avoid other medicine, like tylenol, that is processed by the liver? What about drinking booze?

While I am pretty sure that if you couldn't drink while taking this stuff, there would be a warning on it in size 48 font but I would really like to know what the deal is with it. I don't want to be jaundiced and bald.

If anyone has any info or has any study links, that would be great.

Jack

Also wondering about this, my sisters Chiropractor who is thinning said he chose not to talk because of the effect it has on the liver. I never heard anything about this though.

emery

Established Member
Reaction score
talk to any chinese doctor and they ll tell you liver is important part of your body to filter out those residue from these 'western' medicines. but the thing is liver wont filter 100% things out. so, the more finasteride u take, the more damage it will make to ur liver in the long run.

but well, there are always pros and cons.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
I read that taking 1 pill of milk thistle a day will help your liver deal with filtering the finasteride and other stuff so it might be worth talking. Liv-52 is said to be good as well.

I'm going to start with milk thistle for now since we buy it for one of our dogs who happens to have liver problems...

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I think practically all drugs have similar warnings about liver problems as all drugs are metabolised in the liver.