finasteride and having kids

jimmyjames

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this:

"Women should not handle crushed or broken tablets of 'Proscar' when they are or may potentially be pregnant because of the possibility of absorption of finasteride and the subsequent potential risk to a male foetus (see 'Pregnancy'). 'Proscar' tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets have not been broken or crushed.

Small amounts of finasteride have been recovered from the semen in subjects receiving 'Proscar' 5 mg/day. It is not known whether a male foetus may be adversely affected if his mother is exposed to the semen of a patient being treated with finasteride. Therefore, when the patient's sexual partner is or may potentially be pregnant, the patient should either avoid exposure of his partner to semen (e.g. by use of a condom) or discontinue 'Proscar'."

(http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/displaydoc.asp?documentid=1190#PREGNANCY)

I realize this info's based on using 5 mg/day instead of 1, but that's pretty scary. Although I'm not having kids any time soon, I'd like to somewhere down the line. Do people think it's necessary to stop using finasteride when you're trying to conceive?

I'm not anti-Propecia or anything, I'm just curious about what people think about this study.

beaner

Reaction score
I think the chances of this happening are extremely slim. Anyway, one of our resident baldies just had his second kid on finasteride. Congratulate Klink if you see him.

Pondle

Reaction score
If you look at the same database, the entry for Propecia says...

"Intravenous administration of finasteride to pregnant rhesus monkeys at doses as high as 800 ng/day during the entire period of embryonic and foetal development resulted in no abnormalities in male foetuses. This represents at least 750 times the highest estimated exposure of pregnant women to finasteride from semen."

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Look, the information at that link is OLD and OUTDATED. The FDA has removed all restrictions on the use of finasteride as they relate to conceiving babies. Don't worry about it.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Haha resident baldie.

Yes I have a 20 month old and a 3 week old... perfect lil' guys.