finasteride and beyond

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's my pics I recently posted:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... 9035481a4e

My big questions are, if I start finasteride (I have a propecia script from my derm), what can I expect? I know it's big claim is maintenance, but will I get regrowth? How far back? I want to see what effects the finasteride will have before i make a commitment to minoxidil, so how long would I want to wait to judge it's full effectiveness?

Pondle

Reaction score
You MIGHT get regrowth. Something like a half to two-thirds of men see regrowth, usually fairly modest - only 5% were rated as "greatly improved" at the vertex in the trial. The timeline for seeing results is usually 3 - 12 months. After 3 to 6 months, you should see a reduction in loss, then perhaps some regrowth between 6 and 12 months.

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
You MIGHT get regrowth. Something like a half to two-thirds of men see regrowth, usually fairly modest - only 5% were rated as "greatly improved" at the vertex in the trial. The timeline for seeing results is usually 3 - 12 months. After 3 to 6 months, you should see a reduction in loss, then perhaps some regrowth between 6 and 12 months.

Does "regrowth" include the regrowth of hair shedded because you have started taking it? Or does it mean regrowth in hair already lost before treatment?

Pondle

Reaction score
If you shed hair because of treatment, you're merely losing dormant (telogen phase) hair that would have fallen out anyway. These hairs will be replaced by new growth.