Finally Pulled The Trigger -- Had FUE with Shapiro

Donny J

Established Member
Reaction score
I can post photos throughout the week, but I actually ended up getting more grafts than we had originally anticipated. Day 1, roughly 1000 grafts @ 2300 hairs, day 2, 1500 grafts @ 3300 hairs. (originally, we were thinking we'd get a total of 1500-2000 grafts). It was said that I may have upwards of ~4000 grafts for any future use as well (crown, density, etc.). used .7mm - .9mm punch, which, from my understanding, is pretty standard and just about as small as you can go these days.

I was diffuse thinning, with some decrease in hairline (roughly a NW3, with diffuse & some decrease in crown -- so maybe a NW3.5?). I did not opt for a very aggressive hairline correction -- a very slight addition there, but it was, for the most part, preventative (I'd say 30% corrective, 70% preventative from a hairline/level/etc-perspective, if that makes sense?). I wanted to set realistic expectations, not to do anything drastic, and to look forward to have a mature hairline that I can hopefully maintain in the future (I'm still "young", as I'm 30 years old). I didn't want anybody to know I've had a transplant, and so at this stage (where my hair is currently at), it seemed very appropriate to do. Also worth mentioning that I unfortunately cannot be on propecia due to severe sides (i was on it for 3.5 years and absolutely had to get off of it -- it was killing me).

The whole time I was thinking how much of a shame it is that I'm one of the unlucky ones who not only have male pattern baldness, but can also not use propecia (or RU58841, for that matter -- same sides). It was/is a very sad/shameful/embarrassed feeling, yet at the same time, happy/ecstatic that we have these options available to us today...strange mix that's not easy to even put into words. But, I know I'm not alone here on thinking this way here on these forums..

I had a whole range of emotions going into it -- partly me questioning my decision (does this make me vain? i know i want this, but what will others think?, will they find out? will i be embarrassed?, etc), but also very heavily concerned that people would know that I've had something done afterwards. I have off of work for the next 3-4 weeks, so I'm going to camp out and avoid mostly everyone until that point (until my hair on my sides/back grows back). I actually opted to NOT shave my entire head, which will help with not only covering up any redness in the short-term, but to also hopefully get my hair back to a presentable "I just had a shorter haircut on the sides" type of way....I'm hoping to get close to 1/2 inch of growth on the sides between now and 3 weeks from now so that I can blend the haircut nicely. Worried about shockloss (**crossing fingers**).

Overall impressions is that SMG was fantastic. After discussions with them for...gosh, a year and a half+, probably..I went with Dr. Paul Shapiro. Throughout the entire process, however, I had upwards of 10 people working like machines over the couple days -- Dr. Shapiro was obviously my main contact, he set a plan, made the incisions, walked me through things, etc. 2-3 others extracted from the donor site (Dr. Joe was leading this), 2-3 others worked to clean/split/etc the donor follicles, and then 3 others worked to place the bulbs themselves after Dr. Paul had made the incisions for transplant. It was really quite involved.

I felt very comfortable throughout... I actually fell asleep at 2 separate times during the procedure -- once during the extraction, and then on day 2 during the planting :). And it wasn't even the drugs -- I opted out of receiving any valium on the afternoon of day 2, as I was planning to travel (driving) later that night. Just an overall great environment & staff.

...not sure what the overall purpose/goal of my writing all of that here is, tbh. i just wanted to put it out there and to hopefully document this moving forward so that I can get any advice as i begin to heal. off-hand, any suggestions on what I can do to help my donor areas (sides/back) grow hair back faster this next month? I take B-complex, Niacin, & Biotin. Thinking about doubling my biotin dosage (currently 5,000 mcgs/day). Also thinking about using rogaine on the sides/back as well to help stimulate quicker growth once it heals over the next week or so.

shookwun

Reaction score
great feedback, but where are the pictures

no pics no care